Crew @ Philadelphia 8/5

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by osubowler, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Z3N157

Z3N157 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Boardman Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool of the Union fans for all the help they been shooting out on here.

Also if you are that close to Deleware you could check out Dogfish Head Brewery haha

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real Dogfish Head is 2 hours south of the stadium, but as scca said if you want to stock up on some tax free beer, Total Wine (formerly Liquor World) is the place to do it. They have a great selection from local micros to imports.

3. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the help

4. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What time is the bus leaving from Crew stadium? Unless there is some way to pick me up at a prearranged stop in PA.

5. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're asking people to be there by 6:30 so we can be on the road by 7.

6. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to having you guys out here. Always more fun when there's away support, and I genuinely hope you guys enjoy your time here. Should be fun

7. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished this tonight, and it will be making the trip up I-95 with us for the game tomorrow:

[​IMG]

8. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey Blake, Kev, John, anyone still up drunk before the trip. I can't drive all the way to cbus because it adds 60 bucks to my trip and I'm afraid of running out of money going crazy in Philly. But if you guys are taking I-80 I can meet you guys at the niles exit right before Youngstown or any of the next 5 PA exits after. That should be 2 and a half 3 hrs into your trip. Good first stop for food and pissing, as there are a lot of options at Niles and a couple thereafter. I'll have the full money for the trip if that can be done and likely a case or two of yuengling to share with whoever makes it happen. I remember us stopping before for people in Indy on the way to Chicago and Cleveland on the way to Toronto, so shouldn't be a prob. Niles exit is real easy and 45 mins from my house. Let me know in the morning.

9. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8kc3-VG4g"]Bye bye, boys!![/ame]

10. Z3N157

Z3N157 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Boardman Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not come out to Youngstown and watch the game with us at the Sports Grille haha

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never, ever seen or heard of an MLS traveling group treated as miserably as the Union treated our people last night. From putting their tailgate in a rat infested garbage dump in the decaying parking area of an abandoned building which is now apparently a shooting gallery and public urinal, to the absolute assholery of the 15 security people - including two cops - whose entire job consisted of standing in the aisles and staring at 100 Columbus fans while enforcing ludicrous "rules", the whole thing was a monument to imbecility and inhospitable behavior.

My hat is off to all of you, who bore the whole thing with your customary good humor and refused to let any of it bother you.

Well done.

12. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should see where we've had to move our tailgates....

We had the same issues with security in the River End, even had one fan thrown out for dropping the f-bomb?!?!?

The fans did a great job representing the team, nothing but respect.

13. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...I was just about to say. The FO hired some outside security company. They gave the home supporters hell too, so I'm sorry if they caused any issues with the away support. There really aren't any areas around the stadium that aren't near abandoned buildings, etc. That's Chester. The SoB tailgate is in a real shady area behind a few machine shops and near where they're working on the off-ramps. Oh well. Hope you guys had a good time otherwise.

14. jenbunboo

jenbunboo New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to add a thanks for coming out. You guys were the loudest away supporter's section we've had so far. I actually knew you were there.

15. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our tailgate is in a shithole as well. I am sorry about that. The team has not gotten that together yet. For the longest time security was bad in our area as well. Even last night the security was telling the capos and other supporters you need to leave when they were in the front of our section after the game doing you know their job. Taking down stuff, leading chants,etc

16. Badtz

Badtz New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't echo these sentiments enough. Thank you for coming, and I hope you managed to have a good time. We Union fans are also upset about last night's security (a departure from what we've seen so far this season) and are trying to rectify the situation. And our tailgate areas are pretty shi**y too, so, sorry 'bout that. It really wasn't personal!

17. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could take some time, hopefully in your case just this year to work out the kinks. When the Nordecke was 'formed', there was big time misunderstandings between the three-headed monster that is, Front Office, Supporters, and Security staff. The whole thing at least in my eyes was about supporter culture knowledge as opposed to the typical fans in other sports (which actually is similar to say college football, but with more visual displays such as banners:D, overheads, two-sticks, flags, confetti, smoke, etc.). Took a few pow-wows to get people to see eye to eye, but eventually, the Nordecke is what it is today through getting the suits and security to learn about soccer supporter culture.

18. Lorax Jr.

Lorax Jr. Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Boyertown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for coming out guys. I'm sorry that your experience wasn't best, mainly becasue of security. I was in the row where one of our guys got tossed for dropping the F-bomb, so it wasn't just against you guys.

I made it a point to track you guys down as you were heading to your bus (with your large security detail) to wish you well and thank you for coming out. I was able to get through security when they saw that I was coming in peace to talk to a few of you and shake hands.

Well, done guys. From what I saw you did your team proud. As some of your guys and I agreed about when we spoke, MLS needs strong passionate fans to follow their teams in order to help the game environment and you definitely helped to do that. Hopefully we can return the favor.

Thanks again.

19. CrewBeat

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traded a CSU scarf for a SOB scarf after the match. When I talked to individual people everyone was great, group mentality can make people be idiots however. I think any issues we had this year would be fixed by moving away supporters farther away from the river end and not forcing the away supporters to walk the 15 min walk back to our bus past hundreds of cars all trying to leave the lots. Both those things are just stupid, but things that can hopefully be fixed/improved upon for visiting supporters next season.

Look forward to the trip back next season.

20. soccercw888

soccercw888 Member

May 1, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's called the Chester Challenge...we have a point system depending on the size of the away supporter we run over :rolleyes:

I'm sure that will all get figured out...they still can't figure out how to take care of their own yet

21. BigBrain61

BigBrain61 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, thanks for coming out last night. I've been looking forward to the Crew coming to PPL since meeting a couple of Crew supporters at the draft. Much respect to you guys, though I'm sorry that you guys were treated so badly by our FO and security.

I'll say this, the crowd -- and 133 -- were FIRED UP last night. I'd like to think that this thanks to you guys pushing us to be better. Look forward to seeing you next year.

22. CrewBeat

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping to see at least see some of you guys make the trip in October.

23. Von Brandt

Von Brandt New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Sinking Spring
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for coming out, sorry to hear you got treated the way we got treated. I hope it doesn't discourage you from coming back next year. I could hear you guys marching up to your section. That was the first time I've ever heard the away supporters on their way in from my seat in 137. It was fun for me at least, since i didn't have any security issues. Again thanks for making the trip, hope to see you guys again in force.

24. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    I don't think we were treated that badly. Are there things they should have done in a different manner? Yes, but they are still learning.

Security was friendly with us for the most part (besides for when we did some things they didn't like but as Bill said we just altered some things and went about our business). They congratulated us for a job well done after the game. We had a long walk after the match but they could have easily left us alone (which would have been trouble for sure ) but made sure to take care of all the Union idiots on the way. At least we got to see the cross eyed guy who was below us during the match get slammed into the SUV by them!

We were treated much worse last year in Chicago and have had bigger problems. We fired up a smoke bomb in Red Bull arena earlier this year and a witch hunt (including searches of individuals bags & pat downs) ensued, yesterday they just had Billy get up and announce no smoke bombs.

Issue with some of the language? What FO doesn't have this problem? At least none of our guys were thrown out for dropping an F bomb like a member of Sons of Ben was the same night.

All in all, I had a blast again. Thought we did great. Away trips are always fun because we are able to do stuff we don't normally do at home and there is banter with the home fans. Honestly, who doesn't want a little confrontation (not talking about fighting) to liven things up? MAybe it was because we were so close but the Sons of Ben were the loudest home support I have ever heard on all my trips. Even if they only have 3 songs:D

25. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

And BIG rep to Kevin and Clem for the planning and execution of the trip. Very well done!