Post-match: Crew @ Minnesota, Matchday 20

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jul 4, 2017.

1. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I don't know if Mendoza converting a PK qualifies as a moment of brilliance...

TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.
  2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant before he started being...himself. During the before times. The hype part.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That almost looked like he got caught in between two minds. I think maybe he saw the back side of runner at the last moment and second-guessed himself.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, it's possible that he saw Meram near-ish to the far post and thought if his shot missed, Justin would knock it in. When I saw Finlay's attempt, my first thought was "who wasn't at the end of that?" and then I realized it wasn't a pass. Two years ago, Kei woulda been there to bash that in.

5. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And/or perhaps he never lifted his head, even for a split second, to see any of that... :(

TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #31 TRUJDUB, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    By the time Finlay looked up the passing lanes were gone and he had 1 choice to shoot.

I think Zack overreacted on purpose to waste time . Cronin ran up then ducked to get out of the way but in the heat of battle maybe Zack truly believed there was more too it.

7. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Zack caught a full elbow to the chest from the guy that initially went up with for the ball, then in the 2nd collision with Cronin, a split second after Cronin lands on his feet, his elbow sure seemed to make an unnecessary trip straight into Steffen's chest. Whether or not Steffen's anger was because he caught two elbows in rapid succession, Cronin's elbow seemed intentional and enough to piss someone off. It looked like a pretty cheap shot to me.

8. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But that's also a flaw with Ethan - he always seems to make the wrong choice. A defender was breaking towards Ola anticipating that cutback pass and if I give him the benefit of the doubt, Finlay saw that and decided against it. But it looked like a crisp pass would have made it to Ola in time for an easy goal as long as he one-timed it.

Kudos to Abubakker. I was definitely worried about him, but he was solid. He wasn't tested like Crognale was in his first match, but he dealt with most of what he had to effectively. One of MN's wingers did get behind him rather easily then blew the cross, so not a perfect outing, but encouraging.

I thought Abu was consistently poor. He had that one decent game a few games ago, but he is not reliable. Hope Artur is not injured.

Crewmania repped this.