News: Crew Forums :: Other Teams News Thread [R] (Now more inane than ever!)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was thinking. Lost in translations, not in terms of linguas, but in terms of the culture of soccer.

2. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives is now reporting Busch has been waived. Who is the F*re's new coach, anyway?

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Mexican coach who used to coach El Salvador's team. Anyway, knowing Busch, I'll bet we find out from him what happened *real soon*. He's not one to stay closed-mouthed about the situation.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    heh.. I just snuck over to the Fire board... Seriously, they're still going strong on the "Collins John - Hope and Change" thread.

Now, gentle reader.. please combine what we know about possibility of that happening, and what we know about Jon Busch and what it takes to make him happy.
    Tell me how you're rehab John if you cant get along with Jon.
    Then call Vegas and make your bets...
    :cool:
    Bwahahahahha! Let's just be gentle and commiserate with those poor Dire fans.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Josers have waived Magic Simon.

If he can't catch on someplace, which seems highly doubtful, it would seem to really put his World Cup in doubt.

1 person likes this.
  6. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. That's all I have to say.

7. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly the new Coach (who seems to be named Carlos Carlos - can that be right?) has a guy from his last team they're going to bring in.

This is about as stark an example of how the new CBA will work as you can get, however, and it's very instructive.

Even though they don't have the new guy signed up yet, and may not for a month or two, the cutdown date for the new guaranteed contracts, which Busch qualifies for due to years of service, is Wednesday at 5 PM.

Thus they have to cut him now or be on the hook for $165,000 in salary for 2010.

And if someone doesn't make a deal with Chicago for him, then he'll go through the new re-entry draft. In December.

Did they really think this through?

Or as someone commented on my blog, I bet Buschie has some things he'd like to say to his union rep.

10. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So just to make sure I get this: Until the re-entry draft, Chicago maintains his rights, just as it was in the previous CBA?

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he likes it in the NASL....

12. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    earth to earth, ashes to ashes, A-League to NASL....

13. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear they have free agency!

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my imperfect understanding, that appears to be the case.

The difference between him and, say, Dante Washington is that he can be drafted by someone else in 9 months.

The question that nobody can answer - there may not even BE an answer yet - is whether he can negotiate with potential drafting teams prior to being chosen.

Otherwise, he just trades being locked up by one team to being locked up by another.

Of course, being a keeper, he may luck out. There's no market for him at the moment apparently but what season goes by when a couple of front line keepers don't go down? Someone may be desperate enough to pay Chicago's price at some point.

15. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Doesn't he run a goal keeping school here in Cbus? I know the Crew have a Goalkeeping Coach, but you gotta wonder if Bob would bring him on the staff for the Jrs or the big club, if Busch isn't keeping elsewhere.

Didn't the Crew have an ex-Keeping coach come in and play for us for a few games years ago? I don't remember his name because I can't get past remembering Presthus. (sp?)

16. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Garber just said on the CBA teleconference that he hopes to announce Montreal as an expansion franchise soon.

Again this begs to ask why in the ******** can't Canada get their own league? How many teams from up there do we need to have in our American league?

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who the hell asked about ESPN's broadcasting teams for the World Cup, and if they planned on using "American voices?" WTF was that about?

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That about covers the cities that could do it, though. *Maybe* you could put a team in Edmonton or Calgary--maybe. But I would not count on it. So where do you go with the next team after Montreal? I think they would prefer to have team go into the league in pairs--or at worst a year or two later. One factor will be St. Louis, depending on how the women's team does there. A successful womens team there enhances the chances for a stadium. You also have to think Rochester might take a shot as the 2nd division looks to be pretty shakey. Or do you try Florida again?

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's time to start learning French.

20. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, they've had the stadium part of the expansion bid done for quite some time. The problem is, they just haven't been able to find another investor to go along with Jeff Cooper who doesn't have deep enough pockets to go alone. Here's an article from USA today from last year about the expansion candidates.

21. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacrebleu!

22. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DC don't have a stadium deal lined up in the next three years I'd starting warming up the moving trucks to Baltimore.

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I can't imagine Chicago is asking much for Busch. If a team wanted him, he could probably be had for the usual 4th round pick. He was cut because his contract becomes guaranteed on opening day. If he is signed after opening day is his contract non-guaranteed? That's how they do it for vested veterans in the NFL. In that case he could have a new job relatively soon.

Personally I wouldn't mind bringing him back to Columbus. He's a better keeper than Hesmer. The Crew should have a fair amount of cap space since the salary budget per team went up so much in the new CBA.

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear to Jeanne d'Arc, if they have any banners that say "Geaux Montreal" I'm going to ********ing snap.

25. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Je suis un poisson!