News: Crew Forums :: Other Teams News Thread [R] (Now more inane than ever!)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If Baltimore gets that friendly with Man United as rumored it could heat up all the talk of a move. Baltimore is a great city and that stadium is pretty nice and in a great location, they would make an awesome location for the MLS if DC decides they don't want to have a team.

2. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    But it only takes a roster spot if the player accepts the contract.

Take a hypothetical situation using..... say... Will Hesmer..... At the end of 2012, Will has 8 years with the league, is 31 years old and his contract is up. His play has taken the next step and he has been the MLS GK of the Year for both 2011 and 2012 and voted MLS CUP MVP in 2011 (it's my hypothetical, let me enjoy it...). However, Europe does not seem to be calling for him. Now Will think he is worth a lot more than his previous $100K salary, especially after watching a wheelchair-bound, .250-record Kellar bring in $300K somewhere. So Will decides he's worth $200K. Under the information provided so far, the Crew only have to offer $105K in order for him to avoid the Re-entry Draft. Will, insulted by the lowball offer, declines their new contract.

So, the Crew have made the necessary offer to keep him from going to the Re-entry Draft but low enough that he will not sign. How does Will's rights get handled now?

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And once this happens we can start threads about a North American Super League!

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being in last! Give them a trophy for the Canadian win!

5. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ale Moreno will personally eat Toronto's lunch just to keep them in last place. He won't do crap all year except against TFC (and us of course, where he lights us up for 3 goals, and two crap red cards).

6. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buschie got hosed....but, then again, it's a very similar situation to Buschie and Sigi.

Wonder if something else is going on there......

8. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite line is the last one (paraphrase) Other than these two keepers, who were replaced with foreigners (their word, not mine) there are only four other foreigners who start in goal in MLS. Six out of sixteen is not an only situation, especially in a country where producing keepers was supposed to be a strong point.

On that note, I was a little surprised Gaudette didn't catch on in NY, although he brings all the Busch craziness, just in a bigger frame. And the voice of a drill sergeant.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing him play for PR last year, I thought he had improved quite a bit from when he was here.

10. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Gaudette was at his best when he was playing against tfc in the ccl game man they hate him up there. I am surprised nobody picked him up, he would seem like a steal, who does Philly have.

11. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It always made me laugh that you'd hear Busch screaming his lungs out on the field all hardcore like, then you'd also hear him in an interview later talking like a smurf.

1 person likes this.
  13. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, rememberer when were all called idiots for not wanting the crew to draft seitz with one of the top few overall draft picks.

not saying he won't be great some day.

14. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it. He's 22 and could be a starting keeper this year. In general terms, he's way ahead of where a keeper his age should be.

Also, we didn't have a first round pick that year.

Incidentally, look at who was drafted ahead of him: Maurice Edu, Bakary Soumare, and Michael Harrington. Compare them to who was taken immediately after: Wells Thompson, Nico Colaluca, and John Cunliffe. That was a pretty weak draft class overall; Edu, Robbie Findley, and Omar Cummings were the best of the bunch.

15. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    How quickly they forget - we didn't have a pick that year because we traded the #2 pick to Chicago on draft day for Andy Herron...who we traded back to Chicago a year later for a bag of magic beans.

Sigi's draft-day failures with the Crew with a bow on top right there - and his knack for later round success shown in the same draft, when he used our 2nd rounder to pick Evans.

16. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    so the big question is, what happened to these "magic" beans?

17. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget on top of those beans we also got this.... great view 50 seconds in.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kt-sbp1o08"]YouTube- Herron Foul on Heaps[/ame]

18. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd give up another draft pick this year for that! I feel we got the best end of this deal when you factor in getting to see Heaps get smashed.

19. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herron is still part of one of my all time favorite regular season goals.

2007, the Crew were obviously still bad. We are playing Metrostars at home and the Crew are ON and the crowd is into it. The Crew are launching close shot after close shot, they really have the Metrostars on their heel. The crowd is oohing and aahing with each shot, the whole place is dying for a goal.

Herron is brought in in the second half and crosses the ball into Kamara who heads it in for a goal and the place goes berserk. It was one of the few games that I went to between 2005-2007 that 1. the Crew won and 2. won in a movie script kind of way.

Anyway, wanted to share that. Back to the topic.

20. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marvell Wynne to Rapids for Nick LaBrocca and a draft pick per Goff. Can we stop this Wynne-USMNT talk now and forever.

22. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Maybe now that Wynne has been traded to the Crapids it will help him get a call up to the WC this summer... Oh whoops. Sorry Dave

1 person likes this.
  23. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States