News: Crew Forums :: Other Teams News Thread (Now with New Season Smell!!) {R}

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Possible new KC crest.

[​IMG]

Kinda slick. But are we sure the name isn't KC SpeedStick? Has a deodorant brand look about it.

2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks just like the Eastern and Western conference logos like the article says. Kinda lame.

3. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I don't understand this "trying to be like Europe" naming convention. It makes little sense. It's not like Eurosnobs are a big market. There are few original MLS names left (especially if Colorado ever goes with the long-rumored "Arsenal"--which at least has some basis in reality as the stadium is near a federal arsenal--but is still a blatant rip-off). Most team names are now copies of European or old NASL names (though I have no trouble with the latter).

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pervert.

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, I have no issue whatsoever with the Colorado Arsenal thing, for the reason that the Big Dick is located on the grounds of the old Rocky Mountain Arsenal, a cold war US Army chemical weapons manufacturing plant. I get that. And were it not for the team in North London, I think it would be an awesome name that is exactly what soccer in this country should be. Give some depth to the names if you're going to change them. Don't go with a generic "FC" or "SC" or "Real" or "Sporting" or crap like that. Find something in the city or region's history and latch on to it. And Colorado Arsenal, despite the euro-poseur connotations, does that.

7. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Thank you

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs sign 15-year-old as first "Homegrown" player.

9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is so horrible. They could do better with another week's time and some new ideas.

I don't like re-branding, but when it came to the MetroStars it made some sense because that franchise had been horrible from day 1. Kansas City has won an MLS Cup and a Supporters Shield, and while they've been a mostly average franchise, things were looking up with the win over MU and interest being generated over the stadium.

I feel like every time a team changes its name it invalidates the league's credibility to a small degree. I have thirteen years of memories of the Kansas City Wizards, and now those memories are slightly tarnished because the team is going to be called some Europoseur nonsense. No thanks.

The league should step in to stop this.

10. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We should all be like today's Dispatch and just ignore the FCs and SCs:

Burn to play for MLS Cup

The print edition of today's Dispatch resurrects the Burn twice.

11. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This does sound cool, but is the Arsenal name idea based more around Kroneke, with his shareholding and preeminent takeover at Arsenal?

12. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cleaner image... still looks terrible
    [​IMG]

13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I like the ring of Kansas City ********** (ladies part beginning with a "C" - Pluralized)

Do they have an email address/Suggestion box? ha ha, I said box.

14. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder when the development of youth players will be seen to that level with Columbus.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they feel the need to rebrand, I have no problem with Kansas City SC. KCSC kinda works. But there are few Portugese in Missouri, so Sporting is rather dumb. Now if the team were in Providence, RI, or one of the fishing ports in New England....

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are probably close to that. I think there are a couple of players in the Crew Juniors system who would qualify, if they wanted to go the Gen Ad route once they graduate from HS. Some one who follows the HS/Club scene a bit more could probably say more. However, I suspect that the kids around here want to give college a try first.

17. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DC should rebrand to Atletico Club DC :D

18. apierce61

apierce61 Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet we could snag a couple of the kids from the u19 championship squad from this summer who are now sophomores in college. Theres also Will Trapp who is a now senior in high school. We may be able to grab him out of the Academy as a homegrown player but he may be served better to go off to college for a year.

I think we should be able to still grab kids that are Crew Soccer Academy kids even if they are in college as home grown players.

19. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Kansas City Wiz(ards) 1996-2010 :(

Can we still call them the Dumbledorks?

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
  22. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AC/DC with a lighting bolt on their crest could cause trademark issues but would be really sick.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get 'em to sponsor the team and it would work! I'm not totally joking either. Peter Frampton was part owner of the Philadelphia Fury in the old NASL and Ban Jovi owned the Phila Soul in Arena Football. Oh, and didn't Elton John once have a large piece of Watford?

24. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Dallas will take a bit of a hit with Gen adidas grads. Shea, Avila and Guarda all go to the senior roster

25. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Granted, you're entitled to your opinion, but some of the things you said are ridiculous.

Our league is 15 years old. You don't expect changes to be made as the years go by? Do you think the countless soccer teams around the world had the same name throughout their entire history? Things change, deal with it. Tradition isn't built in 15 years. It's a process.

As far as your "Wizards memories" goes...really? They're going to be tarnished? What about your Dallas Burn memories, are they tarnished too? How many fond Kansas City Wizards memories do you have, anyway?

And the league should "step in to stop this"? You've gotta be f---ing kidding me. What possible logical reason would they have for doing so?

Ahhh, this makes me smile for several reasons.