News: Crew Forum :: Other Teams' News Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2010 MLS Season Recap:

USOC Winners: Seattle Sounders FC
    Supporters' Shield Winners: Los Angeles Galaxy
    MLS Cup Winners: Colorado Rapids

Crew go out in the playoffs to the eventual MLS Cup winner for the second year in a row.

95 Days until Real Salt Lake visits Crew Stadium for the 1st Leg of the 2010-2011 CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Crew Forum :: Other Teams' News Thread :: Offseason Edition [R]

Congrats to Colorado. I doubt anyone saw that coming at the start of the season. Give Casey credit for scoring big goals at the right time. And Cunningham goes without a ring again.

3. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH

2010 MLS Cup MVP.... Conor Casey.... I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit when they announced that. Thinking it back through, there is really no one that out and out stepped up for Colorado in that game so I guess you kind of give it to the guy who was the most visible because he fouled everyone on the field at some point (and scored a goal).

The last three minutes of that game was actually good. The rest of it I am going to have to mull over more.

Nice goal by Dallas. Great save by Perkins at the end. Great save by Hartmann on the free kick.

Toledo managed to r'eff up this game something fierce. There's letting the players play and then there's just not doing anything.

4. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder what the ratings will be. Going up against Sunday Night Football with the Giants and Eagles playing an all important NFC East showdown is not a great programming move for MLS. Personally, they should have put it on Friday. They are just not going to win against college and pro football.

5. TheOtherBastard

TheOtherBastard New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Akron, OH

If MLS is going so strongly after families I have to question the 9pm kickoff on a Sunday for the final. Kiddies and their parents aren't going to want to stay up past 11pm on a school night to find out which team they don't support is going to win.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sunday night was probably their best shot at getting a decent audience. One problem is that the date is set before the season. At that point, I don't think it is known which teams will be playing the Sunday night NFL game. At least it is only one NFL game you are going up against. I think it's not a matter of best time but least worst time (and it would not surprise me if ESPN said "here's your slot", as I think 8 would have been better too). But I bet it was pretty cold for a night game up in Toronto.

7. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005

Up against The Walking Dead too, but then, when would be a good date/time?

8. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

What an embarassment... Our offseason equipment sale thread has more replies than the Colorado 2010 MLS Cup Champs thread. Go Rapids!!! (Is that an echo I hear in here?)

9. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Match was disappointing. Perkins should have got MVP. Casey is a little bitch (could he and Colorado have whined anymore than they did after every whistle?). Don Garber made my ears bleed at half time. Attendence sucked (pin that one on the Don too).

I feel like I wasted 2-3 hours of my life with this.

10. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

As opposed to going up against That's So Raven at 11:30 AM on a Saturday morning and still getting awful ratings? I'll take primetime over the old system any day.

11. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.

What's embarrassing? We are Crew fans we care a whole hell of a lot more about scoring Crew swag than Colorado (or anyone other than C'bus) winning the Cup. Colorado won, so what? It was a boring game that was won on an own goal - yippee.

If Dallas had won I would care a bit more, Dallas being an HSG team and it would be nice to see Jeffro win a ring and I thought Hartman was done hard by LA, but not much.

Odds are real good that the time slot was mandated by ESPN. They were probably thinking that if they had any shot to draw against the Sunday night game it was with the Cup final because they are two different audiences Personally, I was flipping back and forth.

But I agree, where else were they going to put it? This would be why soccer can never, or not at least for the next several decades, be a fall/winter sport in the US. It will always lose out to football here (and I know I'm playing Capt. Obvious here).

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Someone's sarcasm meter is in need of recalibration this morning.

13. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People get grumpy when they go a whole weekend without Sheep League results.

14. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WEll its good to know that Crew should have won the Cup since they are better than Colorado.

On the final itself-very sparse crowd. The MLS should play all finals in a venue where its guranteed a big crowd.

Game-Dallas played attractive attacking soccer for large stretches. Pickens made some big stops as did Hartman.

Colorado played ugly but got it done.

Damned lousy way to lose a game on an own goal though.

15. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But Canadian fans are the best in the world! They've taught Americans how to be soccer fans!

16. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

QFT! Just ask Don Garber.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not like we drew well either when the Cup was here, much as it's fun to hate on Toronto and its fans. I wonder if a non-MLS city would work as a special occasion. Maybe see if Florida is really interested in soccer--or Vegas. Probably not yet, though. At least the weather would have been better.

18. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21,626. Pretty sparse. :rolleyes:

19. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Officially, that's 74 fewer than Toronto managed. Do you know how many MLS teams you could make with 74 people? 3. Toronto sent 3 more teams to MLS Cup than Columbus did.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmm--don't remember it being that big (I was there) as both teams were West Coast teams, and the game yesterday was listed at 21,700. Probably plenty of fans in both cases wearing that dreaded "empty seat" costume.

21. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, that is also the possible case of no shows.

I stand by the higher seed hosts it theory. All fans in attendance will have a vested interest. Louder audience in all probability. Require maybe up to 30% of allocated tickets to the lower seeded team's fans to promote their attendance.

i think it would work out better.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One challenge is selling that many seats and getting it all organized in 1 week. That's been one of the reasons against a college football playoff at the D-1 level. If they did this, you might want an extra week off to prepare and promote it.

23. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH

I'm too lazy to go search for the article, but I remember reading an article in the days leading up to MLS Cup at Crew Stadium where a Crew front office person stated that the game was on pace for a sellout until some plane crashes in New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania pretty much turned off the ticket faucet.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am not sure about that--the game was 6 weeks after. Nobody knew who would be playing in the game at that point, so most of the sales to that point would have been local (and the Crew were pretty good then too).

What you may be remembering is that the events of 9/11 cost the Crew a sold out final regular season match which would have made the team profitable that season (which I think would have been a first for the club if not the league). I could be wrong, however.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do remember this happening (or not, as the case may be.)