Crew/Dynamo - Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MFRONE, Apr 26, 2008.

1. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Back to the top of the table

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Winning ugly>>losing ugly = losing beautifully

Houston are a better team than their record.

Defense got it done, midfield on ciggy break for 85 minutes.

3. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Congrats on your victory over us and to your coach on his 100th victory. Your Supporter's Group looked well on that corner section too.

4. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellant team effort.

5. CrewDuff

CrewDuff Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Eastgate
    Top of the table, AND we have a game in hand against the second and third place teams. Un-freaking-believable.

6. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ezra scared the crap out of me the last few minutes, he was giving up way too much space and was getting beat to the corner every time. We have to hope nothing is too serious with Gino.

7. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi was booted out of LA because of his "defense first" style but it paid off with big dividends tonight against a very very good team. Last year Dynam would have pulled off a tie or win at the end. Different team this year!

8. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hesmer is MOTM, and it's a no-brainer. He made every kind of save tonight, both glamorous and rugby scrum. He also took a beating but stood tall. Good stuff.

Gaven and O'Rourke, who seem to draw criticism more than others, both put in a solid effort. And yes, Ezra scared the crap out of everyone. Hope Padula is healthy next week.

There's just no way in hell we win that game - or even tie it - a year ago.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fantastic. Just awesome.

10. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOTM: Will Hesmer

We allowed far too many quality chances for the Dynamo, but Hesmer bailed us out. We also need to possess the ball better. Like someone else said, Sigi's subs [in general] baffle me, but congrats to him for getting his 100th win. This is the kind of game last year's team fails to take three points from. Let's keep it up boy!

We shall not, we shall not be moved
    We shall not, we shall not be moved
    Not by the Goats, the Scum, or Dynamo
    We shall not be moved

We are the team in yellow, we shall not be moved
    We are the team in yellow, we shall not be moved
    Not by Klejstan, DeRo, or Emilio
    We shall not be moved!

11. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I think Ezra gave up so much space wide because he's just too slow to play wide anymore. I'd much rather see Migs in that spot. Of course, that would break the streak of an Ezra/Evans sub in each game.

Overall, I thought we should have lost 2-1 or 3-1, but, if you're going to be any good, you've got to win a some games like that. Last year, we wouldn't have.

Hesmer MOTM, despite they rugby scrum he created on the line in the first half.

12. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 at home and 4-1-0 to start the season? We didn't have three home wins until June 30 last season. I think we can officially say the Crew are for real this season. You don't beat DC in DC and H-Town in back-to-back weeks without some gumption.

Was the win ugly? Sure. So was the 2-1 loss at home to this same Houston outfit last season. As was mentioned earlier, I'll take ugly wins over beutiful losses any day of the week and twice on game days.

No matter what happens the rest of the weekend, we are top of the table and most wins. That KC match next week is a top of the talbe affair (damn that sounds good to say :D....)

BTW, is it just me or is toronto showing signs of life? Maybe that 2-0 win in week one was against a better team that we thought.

13. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

Wow, go Crew!

And hats off to Sigi... congrats on the century mark.

I admit that I was one of the ones (after the Red Bulls fiasco) saying it was time for him to go; but it's become increasingly clear has put a really good team together -- one that believes in and spielen his style of fussball...

14. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably, but the players they've brought in since certainly have had something to do w/ their recent successes...

15. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freakin awesome...Hesmer definate MOTM a little tense late. Vaughn couldn't blow that whistle soon enough for me. Great fans in the corner. Another great night at the Hunt...COL-LUM-BUS

16. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH yeah... And Brad Davis is a FREAKIN FAERIE

17. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Absolutely. All that remains for me is to see if I dislike Guevara as much in a TFC uniform as I did when he was with Testos Rojos.

After serious consideration . . . I dislike him equally. But the guy can play.

18. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The corner was rocking again. Especially liked it when GBS had to come over and tell us to stop throwing the streamers because he wanted play to continue.

And Hesmer is absolutely amazing!!! Great save towards the end!

19. CrewGuy1

CrewGuy1 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    HESMER for the All-Star Team!

20. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Hejduk deserves mention. He had a great game and has had a great season so far. If he could only cross, he would be terrific.

I've stuck up for Hendrickson for a long time but his lack of quickness just gets more obvious every year.

Schmid should consider giving all or at least half of the free kicks to Padula. Schelotto is too inconsistent and rarely has pace.

I just checked the possession stats: Houston 98%, Columbus 2%. I think the Crew's possession percentage was exaggerated.

They say good teams win even on bad days, hopefully that was the case here.

21. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hesmer=Rickey Bobby=Inspector Gadget what a freaking save...We need a Sierra Mist Save of the Week....

22. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Great win. We weathered the storm and still came through.

Listened to the game online via the Houston radio feed (610AM did not have the game online that I could find, just talk radio). The supporters sounded amazing in the background of the announcer. And the streamers got a great response from their homer announcer too though he accused the fans of throwing the smoke bombs AT the Houston players which I highly suspect was the case.

23. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew did not control the center of the midfield at all and that will have to improve-Rogers and Gaven can be very dangerous on the wings but they need service. But TEAM defense made up for that and a victory was the result. I like Padula the pirate. Hopefullly he is okay.

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd it go? I am so happy to see the win. This really beats having the flu and having to go to graduation activities such as the baccalaureate.

25. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    For many years I was of the thought that Frankie was a bum. His game has never been easy on the eyes-I just always thought of him playing like a chicken with its head cut off...

But if it was possible to do more than a 180 on my thinking Ive done that. Hejduk is a legend and deserves more recognition than he'll probably ever get. Im not sure if hes really gotten that much better since hes been here or if I was just able to set my bias aside-but he is without question the best right back in the league right now.