Crew attendance

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I despise beer. What's your next theory?

2. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    For me, the team plays boring. You see the same mistakes, same tactics with no real dynamic player that makes me say its worth packig up the 1 year old and coming out.

In the past we had dynamic players. Cunningham, John, GBS, I could go on. I really dont feel anyone on the current squad brings an exciting fast dynamic.

3. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nobody wants to pay high prices ($30 for cheapest ticket?) to see a bad, boring soccer team play.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  4. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    Not to mention 15 for parking. 8 for a beer.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess you guys missed the first half.

7. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    Eh, it was a decent first half. Our startegy seems to remain, play it slower through possesion even if in the back half so the other team doesnt have the ball. Problem is other teams high press and we give up stupid goals too often. The only exciting entire game I feel the Crew had this season was Portland. If the Crew could play their possesion at pace wed be talking 2015 levels of fun. Its just not there.

8. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone did mention sidewalks as a reason so just make something up. My real theory is in Columbus people(I am a transplant thank god) are more worried about brewing beer, making t shirts or protesting something to care. So as much as I love this team, I am convinced it would be better elsewhere. Shit Cleveland would be a better spot. These fo fo fans here need a nice fancy stadium with fast exits, nice sidewalks, quick concessions, real cheap tickets and hell someone to while their ass for them, just to have a reason to go. Columbus is the laughing stock of North American soccer and the people who call themselves fans are the ones to blame and no one else. That's what people do in this liberal city....blame everyone else rather taking action.

9. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes no sense.

ZipSix, puttputtfc, hangthadj and 2 others repped this.
  10. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, it's the soccer hating liberals' fault! We need to move this team to a conservative soccer town. That's the answer! Trump voters are much more into 'pansy Euro sports.' If only there was an ISIS cell in Vegas, we'd have the best support, I hear those guys are pretty conservative.

ZipSix repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, alright....

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    So instead of blaming everyone else, you've bought a thousand season tickets?

A Guy and Tobias C repped this.
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    Nobody twisting your arm to buy overpriced beer, however a couple of swigs from a fith of whiskey passed around in the parking lot would help numb the pain of watching the game. When watching the game from the stands becomes that painful I'll just save the ticket money,the parking fee and the gas money and stay home! This was one of the most painful games to watch I have ever watched. All the short five foot passes in high traffic that began to assure an interseption by NYC. Every time we made one of those passes I began to cringe and "PUCKER"!!

15. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite results, how was atmosphere? I haven't had chance to catch up highlights and whatnot. Was that legit attendance # or the proverbial - tickets sold #?

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crowd was very noticeably larger. 17k sounds about right to me.

Tobias C and CrewV Man repped this.
  17. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While agree some of the old teams were more fun to watch, did you watch in the Warzycha years?
    I hated paying for the 0-0 draw on he road after GBS and Frankie left it sucked. 3G teams are still better than that. And better than the Bearded One even if he had good players.

18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Might have been a little less actually there but definitely a lot more than the other games so far. Lower stands were decently filled and a good amount up top. If I had to guess before actually knowing the real total, I probably would've guessed about 16k.

19. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was such a struggle to make it to the games last year, it was horrible to watch.

You can't compare Cincinati FC prices with the Crew, when you are paying 5$ to go to games at Cincinnati or promotions where you pay a 1$ if you wear a soccer jersey.

20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    The oh baby crew song is awful. The can't help falling in love with crew is borderline. Those two songs take approx 1k off the attendance*

*based on research I made up.

21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what if you had the ass of a crow?

Kyle Crew repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wings of an eagle is by far the worst. All other songs pale in comparison and its not even debatable.

23. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People came out because they thought they would see Pirlo and Villa. What's the excuse for this weekend? "I don't like kei", "sidewalks ", "OSU football was on replay on Big Ten Network", "(insert fest here) was going on", "not enough bike racks". Come on guys let's here it!

24. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Mine is @$$-clowns who don't know the difference between here and hear or wipe and while (how does one "while an ass"?) being in town, and if I get too close I might catch the idiot bug.

That's my excuse for this week anyways. I'll find a new one next week. Maybe my cat dying or having a concussion or shooting my eye out with a BB gun. I'll keep you posted ;)

KCbus and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  25. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone mentioned it earlier, but MLS 1.0 teams are still seen as a cheap entertainment option for far too many people, many of whom remember when the club was run much more like a small, minor league operation.

Think about how often this crap is said:
    - $30 for a ticket? Preposterous! I can go to a Clippers game for $5 [because the Clippers are a minor league organization]!
    - $30 for a ticket for kids? This costs a family of 4 over $150 between parking/food/tickets! We just can't do it [because we don't think of this as the same thing as the Jackets charging $280 for the same experience]!
    - Games don't feel as personal anymore. I remember drinking beers in the Stadium Club Lounge when Mais and Duncan would come hang out with us because they were so happy we were there [because we're now a professional club with a professional environment so please excuse Justin Meram if he doesn't want to say hi to you in Kroger].
    - Parking and traffic are a mess [unless you compare it to most professional sporting events or any large gathering of 15k+ people]!

Skill and position of the team isn't the reason we're not selling out games. Philly, with the worst record in MLS, sits at 17th in attendance/game. Dallas, with the 2nd best PPG in MLS, sits at 18th. And it isn't about our "style" either, because most people going to a game can't actually tell you anything about tactical nuances (and if you're just looking for excitement, we're top half in goals/game).

It isn't the size of the Columbus market that is holding us back. We have plenty of people and thanks to OSU football, going to sporting events on a Saturday is pretty well ingrained in our DNA.

ZipSix, Robbiegoal and Tobias C repped this.