Crew attendance

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Apr 26, 2017.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yuppies, by definition, are not 60-somethings sitting at the three-legged mare.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is more like "college football fans who have trouble admitting other sports exist".

Robbiegoal and Kryptonite repped this.
  3. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Yuppies. 60 year olds would have been in their 20's in the 80's when the term was used most. These people fit that demographic the most. Listening to the rest of their conversation their kids are in the their early 30's so would have been 10~ish around the start of the Crew. These people this should have been Crew's causal fan demographic.

4. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree but there were 3 groups of about 10 them. They were talking about some event they can downtown for (not Pride) and they saw 3LM and had a few drinks. And you know Yuppies love to drink. It was funny to watch them acknowledge each other. I was so waiting for one of them to be called Buffy or Biff. I only heard Chrissy and Cal which was just about as good.
    As yes I heard way too much because the bar was quiet and they only thing on was golf. . .and they talked very loud, again as yuppies do.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should sell merchandise with the old logo on it outside of official channels. They can't have trademark on it since they changed logos, right?

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends. Some organizations keep the old stuff active (for throwbacks, for one thing)--and since the organization is still in existence, it may well be still under trademark. But there's a site you can look this stuff up (I think it's the US Trademark Office). I've done it in the past--but do not recall exactly where.

7. ColumbusOwl

ColumbusOwl Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Apr 17, 2017
    The fact Threè Legged Mare advertises itself and is listed as an official viewing place and there was maybe five or six Crew fans total including myself says a lot about the current state of apathy in this market for this club. And it is not just 3LM but pretty much any of the official bars not named 4th Street or Hendocs. I went to one such place on match day where the staff didn't even know they were an official Crew viewing place. And my wife and I were the only Crew fans there. It was a disturbing reminder on how fast this team faded from the city consciousness since MLS Cup 2015.

the_rickler repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There was that random other team that ripped the old logo off, right?

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I went to 4th for a game a few weeks ago. Outside of maybe Crewsmas, home game and AO events, I'd like to know what the situation is there. Crew Union partners with them, but it seems like other than the aforementioned events, attendance by Crew Union leadership is iffy. This trend of "show up for Crewsmas and fade as the season goes on" has been going on for some time. Crew Union used to send weekly emails during the season, but that stopped a long time ago.

With that said, flash back to the last decade. The team had their official bar/restaurant that had a bunch of regulars, including FO staff who would hang out there and do halftime giveaways. The supporters groups had one, maybe two places to hang out at. Originally, it was Fado, then R&T came around and left, then Tommy Keegan's came up with their legendary bachelorette party and they left, then we had the great Claddagh and now 4th and Hendoc's.

Of course, that was when games were on ONN and MLS Direct Kick wasn't as accessible. If a game was on HDNet, forget it.

Now, we have a different side to the issue. Hendoc's, 4th Street, Land-Grant, Zauber, really any place with a TV can show a game. The regulars still watch games, it's just that the contingent of 50-70-whatever people at one bar has broken up because more places are showing games.

It's certainly good that any place with a TV can show the game. The downside is that when a neighborhood bar has the game, it lost that feeling of the great viewing parties of the past because more people are staying at home or closer to it.

CrewV Man repped this.
  10. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife, friends and I have been doing a tour of the Crew Bars and some are much better than others. And it just depends on the bar and day. I have been to 3LM and it was packed.
    It does not have to be 4th Street or Hendocs either.
    Zauber and Land Grant are great. As is Woodlands and Big Room (when there is not a show). Smokehouse is good too. Fado is good but hard to get a table sometimes. I have heard good things about Pigskin but have not been there yet.
    Also I think with the new TV deal there are just a lot more places to watch the game. I have friends that just go to their local bar to watch or even stay home. I was at Kindred Brewery last week and they were working to get the USO game on because someone asked for it. The support has been spread out.
    I remember going to the viewing parties in like 2011 and 2012 and like 10 people showed up. I won like 3 jersey and a bunch of tickets because usually everyone won.

It would be great if there was an Arena district type area for away games. I really like that the Arena Area has tons of CBJ fans in every bar for away games. Well at least this year.

11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this today and thought you folks would be amused.

[​IMG]

Here I am, over 2 hours away from Columbus in a po-dunk Duke & Duchess and I'm being advertised to by the Clippers. :)

12. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember one viewing party in like 2011, or something like that.

Sunday game against Montreal, I think. The "party" was at Jimmy V's in Grandview, and the only fans that were there were me, you, Stef, and a table consisting of a dad and his three kids.

Seven people total, six prizes to be given away at halftime. You won a jersey, Stef won a signed ball or something, and the table full of children won a bunch of Budweiser swag.

I won nothing.

the_rickler and CrewV Man repped this.
  13. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week was the anniversary of the first Jimmy V's viewing party after the Claddagh boycott started.

14. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    So the universe is just, after all.

kgilbert78 and chr1st repped this.
  15. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Kgilbert says we shouldn't compare Clippers to Crew.

16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Any places on the Westside? I usually go to Fado's at Easton if I go out.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew have had similar deals in the past....

18. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So can we compare them or not? I'm so confused.

Wait I will anyway...Clippers marketing > Crew marketing. Hands down and this is yet another example

19. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, this is a fun piece: https://www.massivereport.com/2017/...ew-sc-fans-mapfre-stadium-misses-you-mls-2017

Quit making excuses and support the team, guys!

20. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team sucks, fans form circular firing squad, Crew FO waits way too long to fire the coach.
    This is the fourth time I've seen this cycle. It's nauseating.

YeahMorgan, Draghignazzo, foozer and 2 others repped this.
  21. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish. I live near Hilliard. Grandview is the closest I can get and there a few good ones there. Years ago we went to Mellow Mushroom in Dublin. It was good but we were the only people there and the regular customers where looking at us strangely has we freaked out when we beat RSL.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that's just funny.

23. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    A circular firing squad? I wondered why I got shot.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  24. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Spoiler: it ends at 8:44.

CybrSlydr, foozer, mmradio13 and 3 others repped this.