Post-match: Crew @ Atlanta, Matchday 17

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by American Brummie, Jun 17, 2017.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd throw up but I had good food tonight and that food doesn't deserve an audience in front of this performance...

3. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    He never was. Its the fact our outside backs have to play their position and wing. Its the fact we screw around with it in the back during high press.

4. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And that our coach is a dumb ass. No coaching skills. Doesn't adjust strategy. Makes poor subs. Poor roster development as Sporting Director

Kyle Crew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    OK then...going to need to get some points here soon.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why? what's the point. I don't want to get embarrassed in the playoffs like this.

Minnman repped this.
  7. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    For sure. There is no way he has a job as Crew head coach by this time next week right? ...right?

I cant figure out when we do break the high press with our screwing around with it why we slow it down so much so the opposition can get 11 men behind the ball again. We expend all that work to get out of the back and break a 3 or 4 man high press only to let em recover.

If I played outside back I would hate playing on this team. Then again if I were a "wing" I might enjoy it.

I feel the players are better than what they show but are a victim of this system that Gregg refuses to change.

ZipSix, CrewV Man, ibrew and 4 others repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Atlanta > Crew

Our roster is a Joke, Hang stated this earlier that the fast start would fade. I think we have better depth this year but we still have miles to go.

We need 3 DPs and they must be relevant. Mensah was a waste of a DP spot. We need a attacking DP that scores lots of Goals. Preferably this window , start at RM and send Finlay and Hansen as permanent back ups and we absolutely need another Striker( not a DP but a quality player) . Higuain is a good player but we need his contract bought down or reduced and bring in a Big time attacking midfielder.

Atlanta has young attacking DPs and at this point have a better coach, gm and front office.
    They are better than us in every aspect .

Fire Berhalter

10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Jahn is marginally better than Shoenfeld or Bedell.

He's that ineffective. Our defense is less consistent than Trumps twitter.

Gggg is done. We averaged almost 17k 2 yrs ago. Columbus knows good soccer and this ain't it.

11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

2-1 down. We bring on Jahn and Abu and take off Higuain and Artur. That's just surrendering right there. Utterly horrible.

TRUJDUB, Crewture, odave and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only positive from this game is that Afful easily had his best game of the year so far, 3 or 4 excellent crosses that either led to a goal or chances.

Other than that... finlay still cant finish, mensah still cant head the ball straight even when unmarked, abu cant do.... anything, GB is incapable of changing tactics midgame despite is being glaringly obvious the high press was killing us.

Same old same old.

EDIT: oh, there was a second positive, the return of Sauro (on TV). Loved this commercial.

TRUJDUB, ZipSix, ibrew and 7 others repped this.
  13. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Should I start reposting this in every post-match thread? Here's a quote from Mad Dog Pogatetz:

14. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogatetz can be our new coach. If nothing else he's more aware than Gregg.

west ham sandwich and TRUJDUB repped this.
  15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to a Polish festival and danced to polka music with my 2 year old instead of watching the game. Life lived better.

ZipSix, the_rickler and Bill Archer repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Gaston Sauro commercial is the best I've felt about this team since November 2015.

ZipSix repped this.
  17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How about Atlanta's second goal? As soon as the turnover happened, Atlanta is moving forward. In one pass they go from top of their 18 to our 18 and then shot, score. It was beautiful.

It was cinematic. Almost like a scene from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Every once in a while you'd see a flash of color. Something in yellow and black, either stationary or just on the periphery of the play to slow to react. Then the explosion after the goal. I want to re-watch it high.

ZipSix repped this.
  18. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This.

ZipSix repped this.
  19. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    With their win, Atlanta is now passed us in PPG (1.4), despite having 1 less point than us, they have two matches in hand. By PPG, we are now below the red line. That's pretty brutal considering more than half of the league is above the red line. We've established these results are unacceptable, but two seasons out of the playoffs would be totally unacceptable.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is our process related to that of the 76ers?

Believe in the process!!

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    What unacceptable to me is the crew sc nonchalance. Paraphrased from Facebook - The whistle ends it in Atlanta. Catch the crew sc at home next week. Good night.

Show some respect. The crew roll over and get their belly scratched. They'll work hard this week to make sure they show they actually care next week or decisions about staff (on field or off field) will be made.

ibrew and Crewture repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Since our 3-1-1 start have we played better than Minnesota? They got off to a horrendous start but have rallied a bit.

23. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wholeheartedly agree with this and I think it is infuriating. In soccer speed and movement lead to goals. Possessing the ball and probing for a perfect pass or cross, with personnel that have proven they can't cross and players who won't make the runs needed to score, is madness.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  24. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was probably my favorite moment of the 2017 Columbus Crew season thus far and it was an opponents goal. But it sure was pretty.

25. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matthew Doyle. MLSsoccer.com put it just about as succinctly as one could.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...2-teams-22-takes-following-week-16-mls-season

"Could have been up 3-1 or more at halftime because Justin "Pass of the Week" Meram was balling:
    Everything about that was so good, to the point that I actually felt a little bad for Leandro Gonzalez Pirez.
    But that finish from Ethan Finlay was of a piece with what the rest of the Crew SC attackers did in this game, and as usual the defense proved to be too leaky and too prone to dawdling on the ball, which proved to be problematic and then decisive. This... just... keeps... happening.
    Crew SC started the season 3-1-1. Since then they're 4-9-0 with a -8 goal differential across all competitions, including this week's loss at FC Cincinnati in Open Cup play."