Crew Anthem!

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by somaside, May 9, 2007.

1. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yah, I don't think anyone has suggested this, and 937 might start singing this on the way to the stadium but what about "Working Class Hero" by John Lennon?

Working Class Hero

by John Lennon

As soon as you're born they make you feel small
    By giving you no time instead of it all
    Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all
    A working class hero is something to be
    They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
    They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
    Till you're so f_cking crazy you can't follow their rules
    When they've tortured and scared you for twenty odd years
    Then they expect you to pick a career
    When you can't really function you're so full of fear
    Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
    And you think you're so clever and class less and free
    But you're still f_cking peasants as far as I can see
    There's room at the top they are telling you still
    But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
    If you want to be like the folks on the hill
    If you want to be a hero well just follow me
    If you want to be a hero well just follow me

2. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want drunk people to remember all that? You're a loony.

3. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not all of it.

4. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere Where Only We Know- Keane
    I walked across an empty land
    I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
    I felt the earth beneath my feet
    Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh simple thing where have you gone
    I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
    So tell me when you're gonna let me in
    I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

I came across a fallen tree
    I felt the branches of it looking at me
    Is this the place we used to love?!
    Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?!

Oh simple thing where have you gone
    I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
    So tell me when you're gonna let me in
    I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

And if you have a minute why don't we go
    Talk about it somewhere only we know?
    This could be the end of everything
    So why don't we go
    Somewhere only we know?
    Somewhere only we know.

I know it sounds random, but Forever Blowing Bubbles and Never Walk Alone were not exactly soccer songs when they were created. It's all about hidden meaning.

5. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked that song and I'd be for giving it a go. It'd take a lot of leg work to get it going (read: get people to learn it), but it has potential.

6. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this song too, but it can be tough to sing.

7. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has a tricky rhythm and doesn't really chant well.

8. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and it's difficult to dance to, so I give it a sixty-two.

9. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    but they did have ties to the clubs and were the reason for starting them.

we need to find some connection to the team and we need to look for just a portion of a song instead of a whole song as it will be too hard otherwise. once again, I like Kaiser's altered lyrics for "Yellow". Maybe Just pick out a verse or two instead of the whole song.

10. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I was just giving it a go.

An anthem is a song you sing at the beginning when the teams come out. I'm not looking for something you can chant or dance to. And, a printed lyrics sheet would work fine to give any anthem a shot.

Forever Flowing Bubbles has no connection with West Ham. Look it up on wikipedia. "Just like my dreams they fade and die." Is just like a working class mentality like West Ham and represents their fans. That's why they adopted the song. It's saying "I'm always dreaming(blowing bubbles) but they always die just like my dreams."

Likewise, I don't think Gary and the Pacemakers or Elvis or whoever wrote "You'll Never Walk Alone" wrote it for Liverpool.

Somewhere Only We Know was just a shot because it's somewhere only we know and a Crew game always usually cheers me up for two hours when I'm lost.

There are probably better songs(some people might mistaken this song for too emo or girlie for them anyways) but I like a song that has emotion and gives me chills. I sort of think that maybe some are a little confused on what an anthem is. It's really a representation of what the team means to the fans even "You'll Never Walk Alone."

It doesn't have to be like "R2D2" with Crew in the lyrics every two seconds.

11. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    per wikipedia:

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" was introduced to the club by former manager Charlie Paynter in the late twenties. A player, Billy J. "Bubbles" Murray who played for the local Park School had an almost uncanny resemblance to the boy in the famous "Bubbles" painting by Millais used in a Pears soap commercial of the time. Headmaster Cornelius Beal coined singing the tune "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" with amended lyrics when Park players played well.[2]

Gerry Marsden told BBC Radio how, in the nineteen-sixties, the deejay at Anfield would play the top-ten commercial records in ascending order, with the number one single transmitted last, shortly before kickoff. Supporters standing on the Spion Kop terrace would sing along, and once You'll Never Walk Alone dropped out of the top-ten, says Marsden, they continued to sing it.

seems to be a reason for both being started. no, YNWA was not written for Liverpool but it was a Liverpool band and the Kop kept it going for that reason.

12. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What ever happened to the Elvis song "I cant help falling in love with you" but instead of you its "Crew"? We used to do that one a lot more than we do now. I like Keane but I think that one may be tough to pull off with a big crowd.

How about "Acquiesce" by Oasis?

I think the chorus fits well with a brotherhood/ everyone together vibe we want to have in the section. Here is a video of the song and the Lyrics of the Chorus. Basically the parts from 2:15 to 3:18 the chorus and the "We Belive!" part would be ace
    [youtube]aiXCejJvsnw[/youtube]

These are the lyrics

Because we need each other
    We believe in one another
    And I know we're going to uncover
    What's sleepin' in our soul
    Because we need each other
    We believe in one another
    (And) I know we're going to uncover

I also loved the "Yellow" with Crew lyrics and would like to see that possibly tried out

13. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YNWA wasn't written or originally sung by a Liverpool band (although it was certainly popularized by one) It's a freaking show tune from Carousel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You'll_Never_Walk_Alone_(song)

On that line of thought, I'm proposing "Surrey with the Fringe on Top" from Oklahoma.

14. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a damn good question. Everyone seems to like it too. We need something to interchange with "We Love You." I mean it's great that we are getting good at that chant. It got better each time on Saturday. But, we probably chanted it 10 plus times. :D

I say we get "I can't help falling in love with you!" started again against New England. If Crew Union guys get it started I'll start to push it in the middle.

That way it's enough variety: You could go "We love you! We love you!" then into "La soy la voz la voz la Columbus," and then "Only Fools Rush In." And, then intersperse our different "Columbus!" chants.

I don't know what the deal is with that tapering off?

15. CrewCanon

CrewCanon Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Ok, ya'll are telling me that in the X number of people that are in the Nordeke, there are not a couple of people who are in a band or that can write original lyrics and music for the Crew. Heck, I would be almost certain that if we can pull something well and present it to the FO they might chip in with recording cost and play the "anthem" before and after every Crew game and at Crew events.

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what we need. Some of the stuff, like the Rogers song, "We shall not be moved," and "Can't Help Falling in Love," gets started and just dies off because it doesn't get picked up anywhere other than 101. If we can get a few people in the middle to help it spread, that would be great.

17. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to check with HSH and Ruby Tuesday, but the FO was willing to put up some money as a prize for a contest for such a song earlier in the season.

18. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    And on that thoughts thought, "I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear Today" from Avenue Q.

19. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D

I have thought about suggesting this before but didnt know if people would go for it. If you could find a couple people willing to sit away from your group to help with chant unison in other areas of the section, that would help things catch on. Don't know if people will want to do that though.

Unless you can find others like myself who do not sit with you guys but scroll on here and are aware of what is going on. I usually plant myself just above La Turbina, but I watch you guys in the Union section ( I cant see what HSH is trying to start form there) and try to get people around me on the same page.

I really noticed that it was working this past Saturday for the people around me. When a chant is trying to start just have to look around and make sure these people are aware to start it in there area.

20. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't "we're all a little bit racist" please the mls-rumors crowd a little more? :D

And I have a suggestion, anyone on here Muse fans? I heard a song on the radio the other day, and for the first time I realized how good a fit it would be... "Super Massive Black Hole" could become "super massive black and gold" real easily...

21. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, one my favorite bands. Used to listen to that CD all the time a year or so back. I'll have to dig up the song to see how that would work.

And, I was thinking of that the other day as I was thinking of songs with "MASSIVE" in the lyrics.

22. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I won't disagree with how hard of a song it would be for EVERYONE to sing, but Working Class Hero is a great, great song. I would be proud to sing it aloud with everyone. It would be amazing to pull off and, as far as I'm concerned, very befitting--of MLS, of the players, their salaries, the MLS fans, Columbus, our stadium, etc.

23. Colscrew17

Colscrew17 New Member

Feb 14, 2008
    C-Bus
    I agree

24. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Print out the lyrics and give it to everyone. Nothing is impossible, we all have to learn that.

25. BenHouck

BenHouck Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Working class hero is over the top for a soccer anthem. It wouldn't do justice to the team, the fans or the song. It's depressing and tuneless. It is not inspiring, upliftng or unifying. The song is sung from a cynical prospective as evidenced by the following line.

Keep you doped with religion and sex and tv
    And you think youre so clever and classless and free
    But youre still ********ing peasants as far as I can see

Essentially John thinks a Working Class Hero is nothing to be. And the lyrics are so direct that it's hard to see the song in the broad terms needed to make it soccer or team related. Only one verse even approaches working which is the last one. http://www.keno.org/john_lennon/Workingclasshero.htm

The John anthem I've always liked is "You've Got to Hide You're Love Away".
    It makes a better anthem for the state of US soccer than the Crew lyrically though. http://www.keno.org/john_lennon/Yougotohideyourluvaway.htm

I read on wiki last week that RSL plays "Iron, Lion, Zion" after victories which is perfect.

I have a suggestion. It's a tune called Volunteered Slavery which was a signature song of Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Kirk was born and raised in Columbus. He attended the Blind School which still stands at Parsons and Main. He was a multi imstrumentalist in the literal sense playing up to 3 at a time though only 2 after a stroke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Kirk

The lyrics are:

Volunteered Slavery
    Has got me on the run
    Oh Volunteered Slavery
    Has got me havin fun
    Oh Volunteered Slavery, Oh Volunteered Slavery, Oh Volunteered Slavery
    (Slav-ery)
    Volunteered Slavery
    It's something that we all know
    Oh Volunteered Slavery
    It's something that we all know
    Oh Volunteered Slavery, Oh Volunteered Slavery

The song then segues into an uptempo Hey Jude instrumental with a slightly different emphasis than the original. I have never been a fan of Hey Jude as a song or chant. However I think it sounds a lot better the way Kirk lays it out.

Naaaaaaaa (quiet and stretched out slow)
    Na Na (quiet but quick and precise to set up the loud part)
    Na Na Na Na (loud)
    (1 2 3 4)
    Na Na Na Na (loud)
    He-ey Jude (not long and drawn out, quick and then 7 beats before you start again)

Here is a sample from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/...rex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img
    The lyrics start at 0:30. I can put a full version up somewhere too and link by request.

The Volunteered Slavery part works well cause it speaks to a labor of love. I'm sure the players union could hardly come up with better words themselves. Then the Hey Jude part shows support in the face of adverse conditions. It's not quite an anthem but it does have anthemic qualities.

edit: Here's a link to the version on youtube which doesn't have the words. He does the Hey Jude bit only once at 1:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqXYAcVPDD4

And a link to a cover which includes the words but not much else.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbuWZtG2Tjg