Crew Academy Players

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #851 Bill Archer, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Been saying it for years: theres a wealth of talent in the Caribbean but youth coaching and league play is something between terrible and non-existent.

MLS has an annual "combine" down there where every Caribbean federation can send 3 prospects. Most send none because they cant identify them and/or dont have an organization competent enough to figure it all out.

The kids that do show up are 18 years old and while most of them have tons of athletic ability - a few are.really scary - they have next to no skills, no training and no idea how to play the game. Npbody wants them.

I've been saying for years that MLS as a whole or an individual team could set up youth academies on a few larger islands like T&T, Jamaica, Haiti, even Cuba, and start bringing in 12 year olds. In four or five years youd really have some players and youd have gotten them on the cheap.

Best of all, youd raise the level of regional play, help a bunch of kids who have next to nothing, get at least a few of them a shot at a career or college and, generally do something good for the world instead of the virtue signaling bullshit MLS is addicted to.

Crewmania, TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.
  2. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don;t know much about soccer scene in Puerto Rico, but I do believe they have their own national team. I recall a few years ago a local youth player got a call in to one of their camps. I had seen that player play a handful of times as he was at same club as my son and was just a year or 2 older. He was an OK player but I wouldn't say top 10-15% in the local area let alone anywhere near a national team caliber.

4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Chris Armas played a handful of matches for Puerto Rico but was allowed to switch to the USMNT.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are independent members of FIFA, with their own seat and vote. However, as with several other Caribbean islands, (Netherlands Antilles, etc.) people born there hold dual citizenship. Many of the greatest Dutch and French players in history were actually islanders.

6. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Puerto Rico has had a men's league since back in the sixties although the talent level is poor. Baseball, basketball and boxing are the three top sports there and that's where all the talent goes. The infrastructure was usually based to an European style; i.e. teams were based with social clubs. More recently it's been more public driven with teams based more in cities, like Bayamon FC, etc. One private owner decided to move out of that system and created the PR Islanders who played a few years in the USSF system and participated in the CONCACAF Club Champions League. The national team was good in 1990 because the took advantage of their ties to the USA and allowed US citizens without any link to PR to be part of the team. The went into the 2nd or 3rd round before being eliminated for WC 1994. Politics got involved and funding was withheld if they didn't go back to the old system where players had to have a link to PR up to the grandfather level to be a part of the team. They're in Nations League C and finished 2nd in their group behind Guatemala, who was playing in C because of penalties against their federation. There have been a couple of players that have made it to MLS or have played in the 2nd tier in Spain and in Central America but not much is in the pipeline. The women's team has a better chance to qualify for the Caribbean Cup than the men do.

TKyle repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, Wild Bill played for the Islanders after the Crew.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  8. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ???

10. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure if it was an “island” but Edgar Davids was born over this side of the pond

11. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Double checked: both Edgar Davids and Clarence Seedorf were born in Paramaribo, Suriname in South America

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suriname is a founding member of both CONCACAF and the Caribbean Football Union.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thierry Henry for starters

Anthony Martial

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard

15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  16. Sorry, but you're wrong.

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #867 Bill Archer, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Bullshit. You're not sorry at all.

I'll take your word for it, I was going from memory.

( Both of their fathers were Surinamese, but they moved to Holland before their sons were born, which is not the same thing)

18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like that Spartiatis kid who joined our academy from Atlanta this past fall has moved on to a Greek teams academy.

19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    djtrinidad repped this.
  20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Aiming for 2021 prefer for team to play in Columbus , not sure what division they would play in ( hopefully the best USL division)

at least we finally heard something and Bez said the next few months are important and they must be prudent

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is clearly welcomed news, and let's pray that it ends up being a reality in 2021, not 2022, as the article says could be an option.

Removing the upper bowl of Mapfre sounds like a logical idea to me. I mean, you don't need a 20K seat stadium on that site anymore. Any idea what the lower bowl capacity is?

Tobias C and djtrinidad repped this.
  22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I THINK most MLS teams and USL is looking for teams to end up in USL One and not USL Championship.

Mainly as you are playing teenagers it seems that has been the better level and secondly MLS teams are some of the worst attendance teams in USL Championship. Naturally USL would like the Championship to feel and be viewed as more than MLS B teams doing whatever they want.

As it currently stands more are in the Championship than League One but I think that’s changing.

Tobias C repped this.
  23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah but isn’t it cheaper to leave the seats there ?

24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think we should want them to compete at the highest level possible the cost between the two can’t be that much . Not a area to pinch pennies you want these young kids to play in MLS in my opinion playing in the lower division is counter productive