Crew Academy Players

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 9, 2011.

1. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC the Philly school is actually a charter school. It is not Philly's money being used. There was some sort of deal made where it only gets soccer players however.

2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty certain it is Philly's $$. Read about how they set it up somewhere. Even if they don't fund the whole school, certainly they are paying something for kids to go there. I have a relative who had an academy player on their team leave and go to Philly academy. Crazy story that I don't have time or recall all details to share, but let's just say they have a number of kids (young) basically living on their own (together). Not the controlled environment like RSL.

3. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #778 Draghignazzo, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Alternatively, we could then also be pissing away more money ineffectively. If that's all FC Dallas is spending on youth, are they just getting lucky right now or are they doing something different that is affecting their results?

4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your thoughts mirror mine. How does FC Dallas do what they do on that small an expenditure??

5. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deeper talent pool.

6. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._developing_future_American_soccer_stars.html

You are right~ish. It is owned by one of the part owners It looks like they pay tuition of $28,500 a year with scholarships. They don't say how much they save but it seems significant ($1.7 mil of the $2.1 mil).

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be my guess.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus doesn't exactly have the same talent pool as Texas. Also, I wish we had more affiliates so we could get more people into the network. I can believe that we spend 2.5 million. Precourt seems to have allowed a lot of resources to be put into the Academy. We need better results though.

TRUJDUB and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Kayak anybody know anything else about this guy? MLS article rates him (Daniel Wright) as our best academy prospect. I'm assuming he's a striker.

Screenshot_20170331-055926.png

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it's always a good indicator but looking through the players they listed I was surprised at the lack of YNT players represented.

11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be interesting to see how he pans out. Wonder if Crew ever made an attempt to sign him?

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you're too good to write any of that out :p

Selemani went to Greece and is now with 11th of 16 teams FC Panetolikos.

13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just lazy.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  14. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I don't know anything about him; he's going to Duke so I'll be interested to watch how he does there.

15. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is he going to play basketball?

16. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he is more Ebobisse/Grella/Wenger than Finley.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those players are worth getting excited about...

18. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can produce a homegrown player who is worthy of being drafted #4 (Ebobisse) or put up 13+ goals+assists/season in multiple MLS seasons (Grella), I'll be happy. Even a Wenger-esque player would likely be our 3rd best homegrown (after Trapp and Crognale).

Crewmania repped this.
  19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.... Wenger is garbage. Like, total garbage.

Grella is ok I guess, but NY keeps bringing in players to start over him.

Ebobisse is proven nothing at the pro level, so can't judge yet.

I get what you're saying, and I agree having HGs that contribute is a plus, but guys like Wenger are Barson or Speas level. Grella is Josh Williams, servicable, but easily expendable.

20. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random Academy update:

A few years ago before preseason in Bradenton, the Gregg invited George Braima, who was in residency, to hang out with the first team while they were there. Braima committed to Ohio State in 2016, but never made it there. He landed at Tyler Junior College. He was a starting central midfielder on their undefeated national championship team this past season, adding 3 goals and 8 assists. Tyler produced current MLS players Dom Dwyer and Oniel Fisher.

Glad to see he hasn't completely disappeared off the map

Robbiegoal and Tobias C repped this.
  21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondered where he went.

U16's held their own against Chivas. Lost 3-2 but it sounded like a good back and forth game.

22. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #798 mmradio13, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

Gotta wonder why someone like him and Emmanuel Sabbi were never involved in the Crew Academy system. Arnold was an All-State player his junior year and was good enough to get an offer in Spain (though to be fair he is paying to go into an academy...but still, I'd be shocked if he truly isn't good enough for the Crew Academy). Sabbi is on the u20 national team and is with a club in Spain now (though I'm not sure things are working out great for him on that front).

It's bad enough that we may miss out on kids in Ohio/Michigan, but how are we letting talented kids slip through the cracks in our own backyard? I'm not saying these guys are going to be good professional players, but to not even have them in our system is a little embarrassing.

24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand I agree - Crew are missing. But on the other, I think there are very good reasons why some kids are electing (on their own) not to join academy. I think that was case with Sabbi. In some cases, kids just might not like the environment and/or coaches with Crew. They may also not want to be tied them as far as MLS/pro rights go. Shoot it could be as simple as the kid can't get to Obetz for practices. Or they may want to play for their highschool.

I find the Stephen Milhoan thing to be interesting. They brought him down from Challenger Crew jrs. to play some with academy and then Challenger severed Crew ties and Milhoan stayed with club in Cleveland, played high school and is headed to Xavier as one of top rated prospects nationally in his class.

But I also think the Crew do miss on kids or maybe have a set profile they look for. Sometimes it may be they are loyal to kids they bring into system at younger ages and won't make room for new kids. On some rosters, it looks like they are trying to maybe find the diamond in rough - like a first generation american with immigrant parents or maybe a young immigrant themselves.

It's not as simple as all the best kids want to, are able to , or are invited to play for the academy, just because well - it is "the academy".

25. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that their rights aren't tied to the clubs academy. The MLS team just has rights to sign them and bypass the draft. But they kids can still decline and go through the draft, which is what will happen to them anyway if they're not part of an academy.