Crazy Zamparini (news roundup)

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Jan 25, 2016.

1. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds great, assuming the Chinese group wants to invest in creating a team that can consistently compete in Serie A. It'd be great to see Palermo vying for a Euro League spot on the regular.

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Frank Cascio, an Italian-American (who I could have sworn I've posted about already. He came out about a month or so ago and basically said he had cash in hand ready to buy, but Zampa wasn't returning his calls) had a meeting with Zamparini today. It supposedly went well, and they have another scheduled.

The Chinese are supposedly also still in talks.

harrylee773 repped this.
  3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    He banged Michael Jackson (or vice versa), right?

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    The latest instalment of 'the club says no veteran GKs, Ballardini says buy a veteran goalkeeper.' Zamparini has had some words about Ballardini which should go to show how thin the ice is that he's standing on. Zamp is setting it up so that, if this team isn't great, it'll be the coaches fault, not the complete lack of any veteran presence at basically any position.

“Ballardini needs to learn to shut up and let the pitch do the talking, seeing as he’s a fine Coach.”

http://www.football-italia.net/90069/zamparini-shut-ballardini

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://www.tuttopalermo.net/intervi...lardini-e-bravo-ma-deve-essere-piu-otti-85951

Zamparini will complete the sale of the club "within two months." Mark your calendars. I still won't believe it till it happens. From my google translate assisted translation, it looks as if Cascio is part of a large consortium that Zamparini has known about for a while. He says the Chinese investors want Zampa to hold on to 30%, but it sounds like Zampa would rather get rid of the whole thing.

He also confirms here that the club are serious about signing Bruno Henrique. He's hardly an allstar, but he is over 22, which is something this team needs.

6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Zamparini has pledged to give all sales from the next home game (Napoli) to a relief fund for the earthquake victims in Italy.

7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://www.football-italia.net/90947/cascio-pushes-palermo-reply
    http://www.football-italia.net/90950/zamparini-wants-financial-guarantees
    http://palermocalcio.it/it/1617/news/comunicato-del-presidente-33255

Apparently despite mentioning him in previous interviews, Zampa has not really responded to Cascio's requests for negotiations. Almost immediately after Cascio complained to that effect, Zamp put out a press release saying the the bank is in the process of verifying that the group he is leading has the necessary funds to run the club, they will open more serious negotiations.

Just when it seemed like a sale was immanent, now it feels far away again...

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Zamp rejected Cascio's bid as insufficient. A Shame, I'd rather him buying it than a Chinese firm, who I'll expect to run it more like an investment (plus I'm skeptical that the Chinese soccer bubble will last much longer).

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How much did they offer him?

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    No idea, but rumors from a while ago were saying €50m for the whole thing. The Chinese group he is supposedly in favor of selling to would let Zampa keep a small portion of the club, and stay on in some sort of role.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My small time MLS club in California is worth $250 million + $100 mil for their stadium.....This translates into €311, 776, 244.50 in Euro.

This tell you something about how far behind Italy and especially Southern Italy's economy is....

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    A club like Palermo would be worth more if Serie A didn't have promotion/relegation. A huge advantage for owners of San Jose and other MLS clubs.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #38 falvo, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Which is why it almost makes you wonder in this day and age , is promotion/relegation really necessary? You have one hit wonders coming through once in a while like Chievo , Novara, Carpi and Crotone but what is the point really? Even when Fiorentina were relegated they came right back up in two years and the bigger clubs (in bigger markets) Juventus, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio Napoli (unless their ownership falters) usually don't get relegated so what's the real point? It does nothing for clubs and/or fans. Maybe some of the games at the end of the season are more exciting but I question that also. Gilardino supposedly fought hard for Palermo last year but he didn't stay with them and is now in Empoli. Its not like he really cares about what the rosaneri are doing now nor should he.

14. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I prefer it. Gives ownership some incentive for putting a good product on the field.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They do that anyway. Milan spent 90 million euro in last years transfer window. That figure is nowhere near what Carpi or Chievo can produce.

16. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    They do what anyway?

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #42 falvo, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Spend money to make clubs competitive. They aren't spending to avoid relegation but to make the Champions and Europa Leagues. You don't see the cellar dwellers paying what the bigger clubs pay during the transfer markets. The sette sorelle Juventus, Inter, Milan , Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, Samp and sometimes Torino are always on top regardless.

My point is though, relegation cheapens the league and simply implodes clubs.

18. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    And there's the drama. You don't have AC Milan, Chievo and Pescara all *trying* to finish last to get the coveted first lottery pick.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But that is America where clubs are rewarded for failure. That wouldn't happen in Europe or anywhere else.

20. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    It would if you put in a system that did just that.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well maybe but that isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Looking at the NBA , MLB or NFL as examples, regardless of what the owners say, they are highly profitable leagues. You don't see too many owners wanting out because they are losing money. You may see them trying to sell to make a killing but not because they are losing. Same with Zampa, I'm sure he wants to make as much as he can from the club.

22. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I don't give a rat's behind about the owners' profitability. It's a big part of the reason those leagues all suck. Because the owners make craploads of cash whether they suck, or not.

23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Palermo doesn't own their stadium, and Zamp has been wanting to build one for a while now, seeing as the current one opened in 1932 and was last renovated in 1989. I'm guessing that a sale will include promises to get a new stadium built.

But yeah, Palermo isn't a valuable club. Part of it is the state of the economy, part of it is that Palermo has done a pretty bad job of marketing. It has a surprising amount of brand recognition among soccer fans ("isn't that the team that wears pink?") even by me in the US, but very few fans. Obviously being a lower-middle tier team doesn't help that, but Palermo essentially does nothing to cater to a non-Italian audience.

Thats why I was hopeful the Cascio bid would be accepted, he would have had the ability to tap into that.

harrylee773 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Southern Italian teams as a general rule are virtually non existent worldwide. Roma has a sort of name in Italy because they are the capital city but that's about it. All most people abroad know is how they lost 1-7 or 7-1 in the last few years in the CL.....Maradona's Napoli won twice and nothing ever since. When talking about Napoli , Diego's name is mentioned constantly and he has been gone for 25 years....

25. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Zamp's given a string of comments saying the sale should be done sometime this year for €100m, and promising they will make an even larger investment in the club, including a new stadium.

I hope this happens along that timeline. This team needs a major cash infusion in the winter market. Palermo desperately needs more goals

http://www.football-italia.net/92416/zamparini-sell-within-month
    http://www.football-italia.net/92483/zamparini-palermo-deal-€100m
    http://www.football-italia.net/92535/zamparini-€200m-investment-palermo

harrylee773 repped this.