Crap on a stick, the summer is over.

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by pething101, Jul 24, 2005.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its time to break out the Harry Wong, First Day of School book, I have to go to work tomorrow.

Three days of new teacher orientation and then three days of getting ready and then the kids come back on next Tuesday.

A whole new school, a whole new system, a whole new state. Fun, fun.

So, is it May 18 yet?

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dang!! That's early! What level do you teach?

I've got another month to go.

3. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that's an early start. I have three more weeks.

I knew time was running out when I got the annual form letter from the superintendent, along with the schedule for in-service meetings. Now I just have to have my annual "I'm in a classroom I can't control" nightmare, and it'll be official. I've had it every summer since I've been teaching, like clockwork.

Good luck in your new school.

4. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Sucks for you, I don't even start pre-season for another month. Even though now I have to finish reading those books I neglected to read earlier, and I have to do that history packet too.

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I've still got another month.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    What's "summer"?

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hehe. I get to experience the joys of the school calendar/year again as of August 17th.

8. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    29th august here

9. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Still gotta read "Amusing Ourselves to Death" for fall orientation. Seriously now, why would you want to have college freshman reading a book with that title, during the summer?

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm kind of slogging through Grapes of Wrath. Between that and my french, I can occupy myself pretty well.

11. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    I just finished one book, 5 more to go. I may wind up like I did last year, reading during pre-season and staying up the whole night before the first day of school getting work done.

12. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I did that with my summer reading in high school. Senior year I only read half of the book and still pulled out a B I think on the essay, which was graded by the toughest 12th grade English teacher.

13. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Anything's better than what we had to read last year. Martha Ballards diary, she was some random midwife in New England in the 1600s who probably had the most boring life ever, and someone felt the need to add about 40 pages of notes after every month she had trying, and failing, to make her life seem interesting. We get to pick most of out books this year, I just finished one about party where terrorists took over and made all the guests hostages and they all wound up liking each other and not wanting to leave, doesn't end happy though. I just startes SChindler's List, and then I've got another about Rwanada, Vietnam, and some other ones which i just can't remember right now as I haven't really started them yet.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Med school at USC starts August 8. That makes for a really short summer, seeing as I was previously on quarter system and going late September through mid June.

15. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    My friend Collin's at west point this year, I think he's been gone already, he was whining about not having much time off.

16. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I drew the short straw at the new school. I have to teach both 8th and 7th grade Social Studies. And the room is crap, way too long and not nearly wide enough. Not sure if I can use a transparency macine in there or not. This could be ugly.

17. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    lol, 7th and 8th grade. Have fun with that, my whole class was just a giant pain in the SS in 7th and 8th grade. Actually we still are. We're still whining about a pizza party we were supposed to get in 6th grade and never did. Actually, we're still whining about our cancelled trip to chinatown in pre-K

18. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I leave for college three weeks from today and start classes on August 22nd. It's going to be really weird going to class so early in the year considering that I've never gone to school before Labor Day, but I'm really excited about where I'm going so I don't care at all.