Coyle is out

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by SouthTex, May 25, 2016.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackburn gave up an 88th minute goal to tie 2-2 today. 0-3-1 on season, last place, worst GD -7

2. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seen that game somewhere before.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lost again today to Fulham 1-0. They're still in last, and are the only team in the Championship without a single win in their first 5 matches.

And once again, they gave up the losing goal in the last minute of the game.

"What I do know moving forward, if we perform like that and as we look to Wednesday to add to the squad, then I know it will leave us in a good place and a platform to drive ourselves up the Championship table."

Good news, they have all the boxes checked.

repin1836, Hydro and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  4. Norbet Rasragr

Norbet Rasragr New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Sadly none of those boxes that are ticked were forms for Coyle and the owners to go to Dignitas or to join Islamic State as suicide bombers (the Raos would end up like the guys in the film Four Lions). Fact is, we're absolute crap this season and the asset stripping by the agents and owners continues.

I hope your new manager is doing better.

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost to our arch rivals 3 - 1 in a fantastic 2nd half collapse. Just a typical league match for us.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this discussion of whether or not Coyle was fired or resigned on his own is amusing - or at least it's a continued spotlight on the FO making it up as it goes on and floating different stories depending upon what fits the narrative that day. As the year went on there were references to "we made a change" as Barrett was accumulating points where if they had tanked they would have floated the "he left" narrative until today.

7. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    As I said on Twitter:

1. Why did they lie back then? What did it accomplish?

2. They fed fans the same line when Dom left. It seems likely they lied then as well.

8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I still suspect that what happened was Coyle went to Canetti and said something along the lines of, I know this is not going well, I'm a bit homesick and ready to get out of here and willing to agree to be bought out of my contract.

You fire the guy, you have to pay him the remainder of his contract. If he agrees a buyout for something less, that's win-win.

So, initial spin is Coyle wanted out and Dynamo agreed to it. Then, a week or so later, Coyle has a new job. Dynamo look foolish for having paid him to go away, so now the spin quickly becomes they fired him.

Any way you slice it, the original story was very clearly that he was not fired. Saying he was fired now just smacks of bitter feelings.

El Naranja repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On 1), I think they got played by Coyle a bit with the missing family card and have now turned it to we sacked him (if Blackburn was top of the English Championship that wouldn't be the story).

But yes, nothing accomplished by lying. I would've had more respect if they just said we fired him because we weren't accomplishing what we thought we could because it was obvious to everybody that Coyle had lost the respect of the team and they were no real results there. Provided that was what actually happened.

On 2) I believe it was more mutual then portrayed with Dom. Even after nine years Houston I never felt the Dom really took to this place, always wanted to go home. Canetti probably also saw the days of just having the coach run everything on the soccer side in the orientation was not the right thing to do and I agree with that.

However, every single move they've made since Don was released at the end of 2014 seems like they still don't really know what they want - signing Cubo, hiring Coyle, Barnes as big dollar DP then trying to half rebuild last year it just doesn't seem like they have a clear direction as to what they want to do.

*rey* repped this.
  10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Better question is was the Chronicle or any media told the true story initially:
    1. If so, why did they run the lie/cover story initially
    or
    2. If they were lied to a year ago and the Front office is now admitting that they did lie, how do they trust a single word they are told by that same Front Office today?

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Good riddance either way. Coyle was a risk. Cubo Torres was a risk. I'm just glad this organization is taking risks, and are not absolutely boring. I wish Dynamo were Real Madrid but they are a extremely young organization with very little history, and it gives me something to do to read thousands of critical posts and tweets each week-- they cannot charge us a price for this banter!

I think that the Dynamo have gotten more right than wrong, but are in an inevitable down cycle right now, and have showed some ambition in their decisions, though they have made a few terrible mistakes that were compounded.

I would not take it to heart if the Dynamo or any pro sports team is not totally open about everything they are doing.

12. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #312 nate19, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    When covering a beat, there are many more forces at play than most casual readers are aware. Not protecting the media or the Dynamo, but having worked both sides of the media landscape I can tell you it’s not as easy as you might think.

The Dynamo might have been one thing, but the public strategy was another. Sources who refuse to go on record either due to job status fears or not being approved team spokespersons might have told Roepkin events transpired differently than the club’s public statements imply, but there’s a lot at risk when running with unnamed sources. The source could be wrong, and since there is no attribution with unnamed sources, the media outlet could be held liable for libel if written or slander if spoken. Also, clubs are not required to allow media access. If Roepkin ran with unnamed source information, the Dynamo could very easily have pulled his press credentials. I seriously doubt this would have occurred, as I think the Dynamo are media starved and appear to be dying for exposure – hence the sales team social media blasts. But folks on this board have commented before that team staff takes poor coverage to heart.

So, it’s highly possible Roepkin got the true events off the record, but was unable get someone to go on record and decided the cons outweighed the pros. Most likely he’s using different language today because the team narrative has changed.

Media is not a black-and-white industry.

Heft repped this.
  13. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I am willing to go to the bank on Roepkin, who I have worked with previously. Had he been able to get the actual series of events on record, with an attributable source, he would have ran with the story. Most likely, he heard the true series of events off the record, but was not successful getting official team sources to commit to the story for whatever reasons. For most likely sound reasons, he or his editors decided running with an unsourced story was not wise. I know he does not shy away from tough stories that might ruffle feathers. Check the Carli Lloyd USWNT return saga as an example. He was raked over the coals by her and her coach for his reporting and she attempted to get him removed from a presser, yet he kept coming back.

Heft and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tldr: just because you know something off the record doesnt mean you can say that on the record.

15. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I am also in the media and know Corey well. I do not think that he was complicit in pushing the false narrative and I don't think that he had off the record sources telling him Coyle was fired. I think the Dynamo fed him their BS lie/story. Then I think over the last year - you heard Canetti and/or Jordan mess up a few times on the radio when talking about Coyle's departure. So either they were intentionally trying to change the narrative because they looked bad (a distinct possibly since Coyle got a new gig so quickly and they looked bad) or they were just less concerned about the damage the truth coming out does. The second point is what I think is going on. Coyle's tenure at Blackburn is a pretty good reason for the latter.

Now the real question is does Corey's coverage of the team change now that he knows they lied to him.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  16. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Really, really good question, MLSNHTOWN. I guess a big pivot point would be attributable source access. I can't say with certainty having never covered the Dynamo, but I was always under the impression the club limited public statements to a select few. Write enough critical stories, and access dwindles. That being said, again I think the Dynamo are media starved and would not curtail his access as they need exposure. Especially if Westside Cosmo is correct in his prediction the Dynamo will have a hard time finding a 2017 season television deal. Without widespread television coverage, print coverage becomes much more important.

17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think they are lying (or stretching the truth now) rather than having lied then.

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Agree, I know Corey well also. If there is something there, he's running it regardless of hurt feelings (see Carli Lloyd).

19. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My view is as follows

At the end of the 2015 season, Coyle was looking to move and actively seeking a job in the UK.
    His family had decided to return to Blighty.
    At the end of April 2016 - Blackburn Rovers manager Paul Lambert resigned
    During the first part of May Coyle takes a trip to the UK between Dynamo matches reportedly to attend a funeral
    May 24, 2016 Charities Cup v Real Sociedad - Dynamo put on poor showing - Brenner is at match and visibly pi$$ed
    May 25, 2016 Coyles departure is announced reportedly a mutual agreement between the Dynamo and Coyle who was homesick. Sandy Stewart leaves with him
    May 28, 2016 Coyle is in the UK and there are rumors he is interviewing for Blackburn
    June 2, 2016 Rovers announce Coyles appointment.

Three Scenarios

1. Coyle was fired by the Dynamo
    2. Coyle pulled a fast one, was actively seeking a job elsewhere, interviewed for Rovers during the trip to UK in early May, and left by mutual agreement - getting some kind of severance from the Dynamo then double dipping with Rovers
    3. Its all a coincidence and Coyle, the firing, Rovers, and the stars aligned at the right time.

My money is on #2

7seven7, DynamoManiac and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

There's no such thing as coincide in these matters.

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Correct. We all see these things in business, and some people lack ethics, and know how to game the system.

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep, #2 is pretty consistent with what I've thought all along. The Dynamo claims that they fired him are now just hurt feelings, etc.

23. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was the russians

Heft repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STH plaque tales, now this.
    We knew it.

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think Dom left. I think he didn't like the new front office or direction, and perhaps had wanted to go back to Northern California eventually. The stars aligned and he left. But from our perspective, however much I might have thought he had tactical limitations (and personnel blinders as time went on), he'd missed the playoffs once and when the decision was made we hadn't been eliminated for the second time.

I think since they didn't get along and SJ has struggled the FO might want to encourage the view Dom was unwanted and that we didn't fight to make him stay. Might be somewhat true in hindsight but it's a rosy view of reality. The months it took to find a replacement suggest we had not planned on it.

I think Coyle was fired. He had firing level performance. Lousy season, repeated comeback results (ties or losses), fighting management on Torres. There was a brief uptick and then he lost to the eventual last place Fire and blew a 3-0 lead in the friendly in consecutive games. Not only were we not winning much but the games felt out of control. I may not think Barrett has much to offer but Barrett's games bore a distinct coaching imprint and the team could fairly regularly get a result from it. He just didn't have a second gear or other ideas.

He also received a firing's severance. That always felt to me like he nominally insisted on contract so they paid him off. If he left you do a mutual tear up and save your money, unless you're dumb. We won't hold you to the contract but if you're leaving for another job you can't either.

Who knows, I mention the above as why he got canned, but maybe the decision was made earlier. Maybe it was like, this is not working, you have til x to find a gig, if you do, we'll tell everyone you got homesick. If not, we will formally fire you on x date. He had Blackburn lined up fast and it felt to me like all he had to do was go sign papers. And the team played awful for two games.

I think our FO has a PR problem so that might be one reason to initially encourage the story of he quits, while we are shopping for a successor. See how nice we are. This isn't a ruthless FO. We work with people. Come coach and play here. We got what we wanted, out of that arrangement. The rest is PR for consumption. But I think we have a FO ego problem and maybe they couldn't resist blowing up the cover story and implicitly backpatting themselves for how they take charge of this team and how they saved us from Coyle. Yeah, I'd save the ego for actually winning.

How has he not gotten fired yet at Blackburn? 15th last year and this season in the relegation zone.