courtesy light

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by striker, Jan 27, 2006.

1. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    How much would you pay for an optional courtesy light that would allow you to signal your gratitude to someone who has done you a favour while you are driving (e.g., stopping so that you can pull out of a drive way)? I think this should be a standard feature of cars.

2. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    None.

God was nice enough to give me a hand to wave.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Unfortunately, the other party does/can not always see your wave. I think a courtesy light will help people to be more civil while driving and help lower blood pressure.

4. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Oh for christ's sake. I suppose you're one of those people that thinks that peanuts should be eliminated from flights because a tiny sliver of the population is allergic to them, too, right? Sweet god, if you get bent out of shape when a person doesn't wave to you after you've let them over or whatever, what the hell is gonna happen when they don't use their light? If a person's blood pressure is skyrocketing because they were infuriated by another driver not thanking them for something, then let's face facts here, that person shouldn't be driving in the first place.

And if it's a courtesy light you want, then are you gonna be at all emotionally affected when a person doesn't use it after you stopped for them to come into your lane? After all, it is a 'courtesy' light, not a 'mandatory, forced appreciation' light.

5. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I always light a match when I leave something majestic behind. Doesn't everyone?

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Can't you just pass your flashing lights?

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Actually, my "concern" is that the other person does not see my wave. When someone does something nice to me, I feel better if that person knows that I appreciate his/her kind act.

8. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Dude, are you that starved for attention that you have to actually fret over wondering if a person saw that you thanked them properly? Man, you gotta learn to relax, man.

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best thread about courtesy lights.EVER.

10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Exactly. If you're facing them you either wave or flash your lights. If you're passing them and they'll only see your behind, then do what the truckers on the roads here do - flash your indicator lights from side to side. Of course people here mostly know what that means but I wouldn't guarantee it's a universal thing.
    Still, there are ways round it without having to install another light that only the polite will use. That number is decreasing with each passing year.

11. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    My thoughts on it are:

1) What color would that light be and would it be mounted on the front and back of the car?

more importantly though:

2) Enough people out there do not even use their turn signals when changing lanes or making turns so why would they ever use a third light?

12. Caliguy

Caliguy New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    In your pc
    In the Los Angeles area if someone refrains from flipping you the bird, that would qualify as a sign of courtesy.