Coupe de France

Discussion in 'France' started by Sheepskincoat, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Sheepskincoat

Sheepskincoat New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Manchester, England
    hi there i wonder if anybody could translate a bit of this document to english for me

http://www.fff.fr/common/bib_res/ressources/280000/9000/289351.pdf

section 5

i have tried google but it is garbage

and also can anybody tell me where i could go to get the first round draw of the coupe de france please

or anybody tell me hwo it works

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Article 5
    5.1 System of the tournament

1. This competition has priority over all competitions for seniors.

2. The French Cup is decided in two phases: qualifications over eight rounds and the competition proper consisting of six rounds fixed by the general calendar.

3. Are exempt from:

the first two rounds:

• clubs competing in the French Amateur Championship 2 (CFA2, the lowest national level)

• clubs in leagues which organized the first two rounds the preceding season, who were then competing in CFA 2 and have since been relegated (my note: this is because the first rounds take place more than a whole year before the end of the competition).

• The exemption of clubs from Honor Division (my note: the highest regional level) who have been promoted to CFA2 is determined by the Regional Leagues.

the first three rounds: clubs competing in the French Amateur Championship

the first four rounds: clubs competing in the National Championship

the first six rounds: clubs competing in Ligue 2

the first eight rounds: clubs competing in Ligue 1 and, if not competing in Ligue 1, the club competing in the UEFA cup due to having won the precedent French Cup.

4. Therefore, as an example :

At the start:
    6 200 inscriptions
    less the above 210 exemptions
    5 990 contestants.

Epreuve éliminatoire:___________PARTICIPANTS________GAGNANTS
    1er tour_____________________________3564_______________ 1782
    2e tour 1782 + 2426 exempts 1er tour_________4208________________ 2104
    3e tour 2104 + 100 exempts E_________________2204_______________ 1102
    4e tour 1102 + 50 exempts D_____________1152_________________ 576
    5e tour 576 + 20 exempts C _____________596__________________ 298
    6e tour______________________________298_________________ 149
    7e tour 149 + 7 outre-mer + 20 exempts (B)___176___________________ 88
    8e tour _____________________________88___________________ 44

Compétition propre:
    1/32e de finale 44+20exempts A __________64___________________ 32
    1/16e de finale_______________________32____________________16
    1/8e de finale________________________16____________________ 8
    1/4 de finale _________________________8 ____________________ 4
    1/2 finales___________________________ 4 ____________________ 2
    Finale _______________________________2 ____________________ 1

5. The Commission can, taking into account the results of the preceding season decide on possible replacement of the clubs exempted as above.

5.2 ORGANISATION OF ROUNDS

a) Qualifications

1. The first six rounds, or the first five rounds if the calendar only requires 13 matchdays (my note: remember the example was based on 6200 clubs signing up, there could be fewer) are organized by the Regional Leagues.

For the first two rounds, the Regional Leagues have the choice of designating opponents by choice or be draw. Starting with the 3rd round the calendar is established by universal draw with a maximum of:

- six géographic groups for the 3rd round,
    - three géographic groups for the 4th round,
    - three géographic groups for the 5th round,
    - one for the 6th round.

(my note: this is to reduce travel costs. indeed going "too far" in the Cup can be a tremendous financial burden for small clubs; note that if they manage to face a L2 or L1 club, they often forego their right to host, organizing such a match is beyond their means.)

The Regional Leagues have all latitude to create a supplementary group as long as each group is comprised of at leats 10 clubs. The composition of the groups is at the complete discretion of the Regional Leagues

2. For the 7th et 8th rounds, the clubs are distributed in groups of approximately equal level and containing as far as possible the same number of professional clubs. The number and composition of the groups is at the complete discretion of the Commission; within these groups opponents are determined by draw.

b) Competition proper

the clubs are designated according to the following conditions:
    For the 1/32nd final, the clubs are distributed in four groups with, as far as possible, the same number Ligue 1, Ligue 2, National and amateurs amateur clubs, and taking into account the level of competition.

The composition of the groups is at the complete discretion of the Commission; within these groups opponents are determined by draw.

Starting with the 1/16th final, lthe draw is universal

c) Participation of teams from the D.O.M. and T.O.M. (overseas departments and territories)

Sporting and financial conditions for participation D.O.M. - T.O.M clubs are decided each season by the commission.
    (note: these get subsidies for travel to france if they qualify for the later rounds, as otherwise none could afford to compete.)

et voilà!

by the way, thanks for your pdf. my primary reaction to your question "does anyone know how it works?" was a guffaw, because it's very complicated! actually the document answers loads of questions I had, about shirts, finances, home teams and stadium requirements; it's very complete and very interesting!

3. Sheepskincoat

Sheepskincoat New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Manchester, England
    Thanks for that

4. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome information.

guignol (or anybody else), I was curious if you could help explain how the hosting rights go. This is 6.2 ...

The first part seems to make sense - the team picked first out of the hat hosts unless the matched clubs are at least two levels apart according to that list of five levels - in that case, the lower-level team hosts. But then the part after the five levels were defined completely confused me.

Also, in regards to the financial assistance to the overseas departments and territories, what about those times they are selected to host? Do the mainland French teams then get financial assistance to get out there? I'm assuming they also do not have great means for travel like that. (I'm also assuming that clubs from overseas departments and territories are allowed to host mainland teams if the draw comes out that way)

5. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    At the smallest levels... well, I'll take an example:
    For the 3rd round of the Cup, in the Regional League of Charente-Pyrénées, Trouduc received Toutofon - and won - while Clocher-sur-ferme went to Ploucbourg - and won.

For the 4th round, the fate marked out a match Trouduc vs Clocher-sur-ferme.

But in their Regional League, Trouduc plays in the 7th division (Division d'Honneur Régionale) and Clocher-sur-ferme in the 8th division (Promotion d'Honneur), just one level below.

So, as Trouduc already played home and Clocher-sur-ferme already played away for their previous Cup match, the home and away teams are reversed.

6. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Anybody know about the overseas departments and territories teams? Do they have equal chance of hosting or playing away and, if so, do mainland clubs also receive financial assistance if they are drawn away to a club thousands of miles away?