Countries that missed out on brasil 2014 but will make russia 2018

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by bigshow, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius

In B4 someone says something racist

2. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    In all fairness, I only watched them during the AFCON and the 2nd leg against Nigeria in which they didn't appear to be that good.

I don't really know much about football situation in Ethiopia, and while yes they developped tremendously, it seems to me they're a bit behind the "powerhouses" in Africa.

Ghana, Algeria and Nigeria all have relatively young suqads that should be there for 2018. Not to mention the competition from CIV, Cameroon, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Morocco, Egypt..

You have to admit they're not a shoe-in for Russia 2018 :)

I hope the best for you tho, would be nice to see a new face in the WC.

3. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Leesburg
    My votes would be for Egypt, Romania, Sweden, Uzbekistan and possibly Cape Verde and Iceland. But like someone else mentioned, really hard to predict until the draws are held.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armenia have had decent campaigns in their last two outings... euro 2012 and wc 2014, wonder if they could sustain that for the next WC cycle but it all depends on the draw again. I also wonder how things will change with expansion of the euros, some teams could make that and move up in their rankings to enhance their qualification seeding chances will see... when is the qualification draw anyway, early 2016?

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It used to be in November but for World Cup 2014 it was on July 30, 2011, meaning that it could be in July 2015.

6. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a moxie pick, I like it! They've certainly got some solid young players around him like Aaron Ramsey. They should also have a very good shot for at least 3rd in Euro qualifying and maybe even 2nd, which would help them get a better draw for WCQ. If Ronaldo could carry the water the last 6 years for Portugal, then Bale probably could for Wales too.

7. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Leesburg
    EvanJ repped this.
  8. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You really think you could compare Wales without Bale to Portugal without Ronaldo? Portugal minus Ronaldo is still the the ninth most expensive team. Okay fine, the transfer market isn't the best parameter, just go player for player.

The whole Ronaldo does it all for Portugal, is just another way of saying I'm ignorant and this is what the media told me.

9. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't need the media to tell me the Portugal that came to the WC was hot garbage.

10. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes they played like garbage no doubt, much like Italy, Spain and England. The point is, even if you remove Ronaldo from Portugal and keep Bale on Wales, Portugal is technically the better team. To say Bale can carry Wales like Ronaldo does Portugal is a ridiculous statement. Ronaldo has been playing for Portugal for 10 years, in that time he has had about 10-12 good games. It's a huge misconception led by the media, and blew up because of the Sweden playoffs.

11. BardiyaIcelander

BardiyaIcelander New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Wales has a team about the same level as Ireland excluding Gary Bale and Aaron Ramsey. If they don't get a group of something like Spain+France they can very well upset.

I also think we in Iceland have a better shot of qualifying this time. Last cycle we had a very young team which had just recently been promoted from the U-21, but this time both they're better and our next U-21 is producing some quality defenders (which we didn't have).

I'mma go for Iraq, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Wales, Guatemala, Mali, Morocco, Serbia, Sweden, Ukraine, Iceland and the teams failing from the 2014 edition we'll be missing:
    Australia, Iran, Greece, Croatia, Bosnia, Portugal, Honduras, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Switzerland and Uruguay

Kurdii110 repped this.
  12. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guatemala huh? Risky choice. They did a complete overhaul after failing to make the Hex. We'll see what they can do in the Gold Cup, if they even make it (didn't make it in 2013). Then possibly the combined Copa. I'd put more money on Honduras maintaining their place as fourth best, they have a pretty young squad. I think El Salvador is in a better position as well.

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think the only team I realistically fear that can take our four spot, is Jamaica. They have Winnie already almost a year into his process, while gaining more good EPL based players like Puncheon of Cardiff. They also play Copa America next year as an invited squad. Darkhorse to make it to Russia for sure. ES are still too weak but will give teams a helluva fight, while Panama exhausted their golden generation. Guatemala.... It'll be decades till they wright the ship.

14. BardiyaIcelander

BardiyaIcelander New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    This is just a prediction. Honduras might be strong still but Guatemala have historically not been that far away. They're probably about the same level as Panama and El Salvador and a little bit behind Honduras and then CR, Mex and USA. Don't know if Jamaica are that strong. They recently called up a youth player at my team Norwich, Jamar Loza, and lost 8-0 to France. I don't think they'll qualify. Maybe the same level as T&T was in 2006.

15. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were zero (0) Scandinavian teams in Brazil. I'd be willing to bet that situation will not repeat itself in 2018.

Would love to see Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland as they haven't been to a major tourney in a long time (1998 IIRC)

16. musetto

musetto Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    IMHO,
    none of the team you nominated will qualify to the WC with the possible exception of Egypt.

17. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Why not?

18. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Egypt are probably going to have the hardest time out of all the teams not named Saudi Arabia. Ukraine and Turkey managed to get themselves in a very even group. Anybody could place first in Group I. Other than Germany, the Czechs are the best team in their group and should get second for a playoff spot. Poland is also in a very manageable group. And Paraguay are usually very tough to play, people always seem to underestimate them.

19. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Euro u19 winner 2013 and world champion u20 2015 Serbia Will Be mature enough for russia 2018 and do damages there in a country They like very much!

20. 108thLegendary

108thLegendary Member+

Apr 8, 2006
    Bold prediction - considering that Serbia is dead last in their Euro 2016 qualifying group - with -2 pts.

21. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Well, they have a playable group, that's for sure

22. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Serbia already made their debut in 2006 with Montenegro and as just Serbia in 2010.

23. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    So? This thread is about teams that missed out on Brazil 2014 but might make Russia 2018, not necessarily debutantes.

24. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh my bad, didn't read the title lol

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A team like Serbia may have all the great young talent in the World but if the manager does not know what he is doing at the Senior level then that talent can be wasted.

Looking at their Qualifying Group I don't think it is as easy as some are portraying it to be. Wales, Austria and Ireland can all give them problems.

108thLegendary repped this.