Countries that missed out on brasil 2014 but will make russia 2018

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by bigshow, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    ^ Haha, that's cute. Australia is going home, 3 and out. 0 points in 2 games. While Iran's hopes will be kept alive till the last match day.

And like I said. Uzbekistan chokes when it matters, you'd have to be silly to consider Jordan to be a better team.

Oh and would you please send me a jar of your tears. It'd go nicely with the one I have from '98. :sneaky:

2. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Iran was ridiculed/name and shamed from the media about they played against Nigeria.

Rather go 3 and out playing the way we are right now than 1 D 2 L playing the way Iran plays because it embarrasses our confederation which is something Iran seems to excel at quite frequently

One only has to use the search function on BS and type in "australia" and then type "iran" to see the difference

don't get salty because a certain australian team that may well go 3 and out - is still the talk of the world cup because of our fantastic sexual style of football you silly chewbacca look a like :cool:

Kurdii110 repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, technically they didn't.... both games ended in draws ;)

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    thats quite a leap from last to qualification - what makes you so sure?

5. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that campaign was a bit of a fluke compared to what they've done the past 10 to 15 years. I think they've looked better recently too. Plus I'm not overly impressed with the talent that Ecuador and Uruguay have (apart from a couple stand out players). I really don't see much of a threat from Bolivia or Peru, and I doubt Venezuela does as well as they did this time around. I could be wrong, but that's just what I think.

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Conmebol generally goes in cycles, I think Paraguay experienced the typical fall from grace others have experienced

I dont believe anyone has gone from last to qualification in the past

but going by last south american sub 20 results Paraguay do have good youth players coming through

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_South_American_Youth_Championship#First_stage

then again going by those results Brazil and Argentina dont have a chance;)

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Venezuela is improving. Peru has decent young talent. Paraguay has recent World Cup tradition. Bolivia has climate and some successful clubs right now.

South America is going to be a dog fight and I won't be surprised if any of those teams sneak into Russia really.

8. Clemson Soccer

Apr 29, 2010
    Anyone want to put some money on Catalonia?

9. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I think 2022 is more likely, but I see it happening.

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Given that Ukraine is the highest ranked team not at the WC (ranked 16th by FIFA, for what it's worth), and, clearly a solid side, I expect we will make it to Russia 2018, if for no other reason than to pay back for what Russia's doing to our country at the moment.

Transparent_Human repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    ESPN would have a field day with all the back stories on that one.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I mean Fox not ESPN. :p

13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Those types of falls are more common in CONMEBOL due to the long qualifying process. Teams that dig themselves into deep holes 6-7 matches in will more commonly readjust expectations toward bleeding new guys and trying combinations for development that would be expected to pay dividends at Copa or the next WC. The decline is overstated as a result.

14. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hopefully Spain and England will be able to make it. The certainly didn't show up for the 2014 one.

ElasticNorseman and HomietheClown repped this.
  15. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I doubt there will be any change in qualifiers from Conmebol or Concacaf. Ecuador is weaker than some other South American sides, but in Qualifying they get to play in the altitude, which is an advantage. Maybe Honduras will give way to some other Central American country, but it's difficult to guess at this point.

In Europe the only team that I think could've done some damage in the WC and didn't make it is Sweden. However in 2018 Ibrahimovic will be gone, so not sure how good they will be.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Depends on the coach for Ecuador really. If they hire a Colombian who knows what he is doing then they qualify. That has been the reality down there.

17. DanHD14

DanHD14 New Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hopefully Canada pulls their shit together!

barnabyjonez repped this.
  18. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I cant believe some clowns still regard Peru as being in the same level as Bolivia, frequently mentioning them in the same sentence dissing both at the same time, when the reality is Peru has a lot more talent, probably at the same level than for instance Chile and Ecuador, they just haven't found good leadership that cant direct all this talent in a good way, like Bielsa did in Chile.

19. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    I'm not an expert on South American talent, but I agree. Peru produces some good talents such as Fanfan, Pizarro, Vargas..etc

I don't know much of Bolivia, they seem to have a home based team with players that are unknown for the average football fan, but that doesn't mean they're bad, just not as good as Peru IMO.

Peru suffers from playing in a tough confederation with teams that are better than them.

20. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully England will show up in 2018.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  21. 108thLegendary

108thLegendary Member+

Apr 8, 2006
    #46 108thLegendary, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    UEFA:

any of these teams (in order) have a chance
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Ukraine

Norway
    Slovakia

Serbia
    Romania
    Bulgaria
    Turkey

Poland
    Czech Republic
    Ireland

Slovenia
    Hungary
    Austria
    Scotland
    Israel
    Montenegro

AFC:

Kurdistan - qualifies easily if the Kurdish FA is admitted to FIFA by then

CONMEBOL:
    Uruguay is definitely not going to make it to the next tournament

CONCACAF:
    I could see Jamaica making it.

CAF (I could see these teams making it):
    Egypt
    Morocco
    Tunisia
    Libya

Kurdii110 repped this.
  22. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    I'd place Burkina Faso or Senegal before Libya or Tunisia tbh.

23. Notpassingtheball

Jun 23, 2013
    Barring major political or economic disaster,

Ethiopia will comfortably make it in 2018

24. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Don't see it tbh. They're not that good, just had the luck of being in the same group as the weakest POT 1 in Africa : South Africa.

25. Notpassingtheball

Jun 23, 2013
    Did you watch them against Nigeria in the first leg?

The football they produced was brilliant and dazzling. They matched the Nigerians and if not were the better team in the first leg. But Nigerians experience shone through however.

Ethiopia is going through unbelievable changes recently. The country is developing in every aspect from football to health to food and economics. We are building infrastructure everywhere. In nearly every state capital we are building modern football stadiums along with football culture which nurtures youth development. The recent CAN and World Cup qualifiers are just the beginning and adding incredible experience.

We have the talent, resources, skill and will. All we need is proper management and I’m confident we’ll make 2018 World Cup. The way we play football is beautiful.

However, all I am worried about is political tension. Ethiopia is a sleeping giant in every aspect

Kurdii110 and Yacine9 repped this.