Could you?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by BigTimeBull, Apr 6, 2011.

1. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats the same thing that happened with the Miami Fusion. thats why i used to call them the Ft Lauderdale Fusion.

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the kind of ridiculous reasoning that is holding back South Florida as a domestic soccer market. Not once have I ever heard that logic coming from Broward or Palm Beach fans of the Miami Heat, Dolphins and soon-to-be-Miami Marlins. Broward/Palm Beach have more people combined than Miami-Dade, and could support a team on their own. Even Broward County is right around the same population as some current MLS metro areas. But it would be nice to have all of South Florida backing our local team, wherever it is.

Keep that attitude up and you may never have a local team to support. The Strikers aren't going back to Miami-Dade, probably no D2 team will ever be there again, and the odds are just as good for Fort Lauderdale hosting a future MLS team as Miami, maybe better considering the success of the Strikers this year. If you're MLS and/or investors looking at South Florida, and you see the Fort Lauderdale Strikers drawing nearly 4 times more fans than Miami FC did with basically the same team, you'd have to be stupid to consider putting a team in Dade County, which would almost certainly be on a plastic pitch at an Erector Set FIU Stadium that the league wasn't very impressed with in 2008/09 when Barça was bidding for the club.

I can see not wanting to support a team in Orlando, or Tampa, or Jacksonville. I know I wouldn't. But to refuse to support a team that is less than an hour away is ridiculous. I've lived in Broward County my entire life. But I drove to Tropical Park and FIU for MFC. I go to Heat games. I wear my "Miami" gear with pride, probably with more pride than actual 305ers do. What's your excuse?

futbol in Miami repped this.
  3. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Don't even bother. He's just going to say how he has no ties to Ft. Lauderdale and is all about Miami soccer. You know, the neighborhood games that people watch.

No seriously, that last sentence is what he has said before.

4. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or watching Barca on Gol TV. Real "Miami" soccer there....:rolleyes:

Prime Time is right. Don't bother with him. The guy's a lost cause. In the final analysis you'll see that folks like fiM have removed themselves from the equation and simply don't matter.

Far better to look for those that do care and want to come to Lockhart on October 1st to get out, get up and get LOUD!

They are the people that will keep this thing going & bring it whatever success it may achieve.

5. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy there cowboy. no one is forcing you guys in FTL and WPB to supprt Miami teams. I still dont understand this reasoning that just because you have a team near the same region you live you HAVE to support it at all costs. thats BS. I didnt come here claiming thats how we all are in Miami. Im only speaking from my own point of view. Why you cite the populations in S. Florida is beyond me. I recognize that even the smallest markets (take Green Bay Packers) can be awesome. Im not here to knock on the Strikers or its city. If anything i wished you luck.

Im not arguing that fact. I agree. You must be talking to Lucho.

6. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive only been to FTL a couple of times in my life. I have no family or friends there. the only thing i know about that city is Las Olas (which is lots of fun). and really, its the only reason ive been there recently. Other than that i have no other business going there. Indeed i have no ties. so what?

as for the local neighborhood games you mentioned...yes many attend. But im not comparing that to a full fledge pro soccer team with its own stadium. apples to oranges. i simply stated we have enough soccer to keep us entertained.

7. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what you mean by this. You seem to have something against folks that enjoy watching international matches and competitions.

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one may be forcing them to do so, but Miami teams are all the better for it. And I guarantee you, after the new-car-smell wears off on the Miami Ballpark (and some are suggesting it's already starting to stink), having it half an hour further away from Fort Lauderdale will hurt.

I said it before: You're going to be awfully lonely when the Strikers are in MLS.

9. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I enjoy that myself. I'm simply against those good folks that are an impediment to getting MLS back to South Florida. You seem qualify as one of them.

However, to your credit, you are upfront about it all. Miam-Dade is the center of your universe. Nowhere else near is worth your time and effort to go to, even if it has something you may like. OK. Cool. We'll do it without you. Adios.

10. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt go as far as making a guarantee, but its very likely once the novelty wears off, attendance will be lower. Im not a baseball fan and never even been to a game. but ill go at least once next season just to see the new stadium.:D I can also say ive finally been to a baseball game.

I dont see why. Its not like im suffering now. nothing will change if FTL gets their MLS team.

11. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do i qualify as an impediment? perhaps that isnt the right word. Im not supporting your cause, but its not like im standing in the way of it either. "apathetic" sounds more accurate.

Not necessarily. Im really only like this with sports teams. Ive driven to many parts in florida for pleasure. I travel a lot around the country, but i digress.

I really do mean well for you guys. I can see all of you are MLS fans and want your own local team. I got nothing against that. Bottom line is we all share a passion for soccer. Its my sport since i was born. but like Antique says, im very "provincial" when it comes to sports. Of all my passionate soccer friends, there is one that attends Strikers game. In no way am i trying to convince her otherwise. For all the negatives, all the odds stacked against the MIA, im still holding out a little bit of hope.

12. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It baffles me how people in a region cant pull for a club if its the only one you have, unless they live in NYC or similar city and theres a chance the Burrough or neighborhood could get a team. Who cares if its 30 minutes or an hour away from your street. Your region would have a team while other cities/regions wouldnt. That would be like me hating a team located in Germantown, because I lived in Binghampton and the team not being located there, both in Memphis or hating a team located in Millington and not in Memphis itself, both in Shelby County.

I can understand how some cant support a team located in another major city of their state though.

13. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever heard of this simple concept called "choice"? Whatever reason may be, people have a choice weather to root for a team or not. Just like many New Yorkers that live in Miami for years and hate on the local teams and only support their teams in NYC. or are you going to force them otherwise? I mean, they live in the same region as me.

I'd really hate to sound redundant in this thread. Its like beating a dead horse.

Just to clarify, im not hating on anyone or anything here.

14. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and thats your choice, didn't say it wasn't or that people dont have that right and never pinpointed you in anything. If anyone cant support the team they have though to prove to MLS its serious about wanting soccer in MLS, then they shouldnt whine when they dont get one or whine when its not in the city itself if they do. Dont nit pick over little issues like name and exact location. Those things can easily change one day, like the team moving to the city itself or changing its name & colors.

And I was referring to those native to the area, not transplants,sorry I wasnt clear. Im from Memphis and still pull for the Tigers sports teams over Alabama or Auburn, even though I have lived in Alabama for over 20 yrs.

15. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States