Could NASL become america's most proeminent soccer competition?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by Paulo PT, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    In my opinion NASL could become america's most proeminent soccer competition if they adopt a new model by the end of the decade with:
    • more teams, for better geographic and demographic coverages; play against MLS restrictive policies;
    • Only US teams. US is to big! Having two such big countries turns everything more complicate to Works.
    • more money to soccer talent, less money to NASL founding; more foreigners players (up to 50%)
    • more club competitions, more games, more visibility, more sponsors, more money;
    • more MLS and NASL rivalry games;
    • etc.
    NASL GOVERNING BODY
    48 CLUB MEMBERS (2022)
    1st phase (2018) - 24 clubs (Starting with USL teams with no MLS affiliation or disaffiliate teams) (giving USL a pre-selection league status)
    2nd phase (2020) - 36 clubs
    3rd phase (2022) - 48 clubs

CLUBS
    Each club should have two parts: club membership (for community support and engagement) and plc (for investors and financial support).

NO EXPANSION FEE REQUIRED. Instead a minimum club budget and/or a positive EBITDA should be required.

PROMOTION AND RELEGATION
    Club Coefficient: rank and seeding individual clubs.
    Conference Coefficient.
    Clubs with the worst records could be relegated to USL and replaced by another USL team. However not at the end of each season, maybe a 3-4 years timeframe.

Team Market: When bigger than 10 millions inhabitants they could accommodatet two clubs: Chicago, New York and Los Angeles.

FLORIDA CASE: 3 markets - South Florida, Central Florida and North Florida.
    Miami FC and Fort Lauderdale Strikers should merge into one team. Tortugas FC, Alligators FC or other name.

The NASL will be responsible for the organisation and supervision of:

PRESEASON: February
    REGULAR SEASON: March until November (Summer Break: June- FIFA World CUP or July - CONCACAF Gold CUP, Winter Break/Vacation: December and mid-January)

- NASL PREMIER LEAGUE (1st phase: Conference Leagues, intra-conference games, a double round-robin system. 2nd phase: Playoffs). Sponsor Title Premier League.
    - NASL LEAGUE CUP (inter-conference. Group Stage+Knock out). Sponsor Title League Cup.
    - NASL SUPER CHAMPIONS CUP (single game). Sponsor Title Champions Cup.
    - PRESEASON TOURNAMENTS (February): 4, 6 or 8 clubs: NASL, MLS and International Clubs. Sponsor title tournaments.
    Examples:
    - STARBUCKS (LOL) CASCADIA CUP: Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps, Portland Timbers, Puget Sound, Willamette Valey and one international club. 1st Phase: Group Stage and 2nd Phase: Single-elimination tournament. One host city.
    - XYZ FRONTIER CUP: San Diego, Phoenix, El Paso, Club Tijuana, FC Juárez, Cimarrones de Sonora FC. 1st Phase: Group Stage and 2nd Phase: Single-elimination tournament. One host city.
    ETC.

OTHER SOCCER COMPETIONS WITH NASL TEAMS:
    - US OPEN CUP
    - CONCACAF AMERICA LEAGUE (2020).
    Like UEFA and CONMEBOL, CONCACAF could create a second club competition in 2020.

2. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    NASL PREMIER LEAGUE
    Similar in a certain way to NCAA Division I FBS.
    4 CONFERENCES LEAGUES
    Eastern Conference: New England Voyagers FC (Providence), New England Heartbreakers FC (Worcester), Hudson FC (Westchester), New York Cosmos FC (Long Island), New Jersey FC (Newark), Delaware Brothers FC (Philadephia Area), Pittsburgh Riverhounds FC, Columbia Fathers SC (Baltimore), Potomac FC (DC), Virginia Cavalry FC (South Hampton Roads), Raleigh FC and Charlotte FC (Rock Hill).
    Western Conference: Puget Sound, Willamette Valley, Wasatch Front, Front Range, Bravos FC (El Paso), Phoenix FC, Las Vegas FC, Orange Empire FC, Angels SC, El Dorado FC (San Diego), San Andreas FC (Sotckton - Central Valley), San Francisco FC.
    Central Conference: Minnesota United FC (Twin Cities), Kansas City FC, St. Louis FC (St. Louis), Chicago FC, Chicago SC, Milwaukee FC, Indy Eleven FC (Indianapolis), Louisville FC, Dayton FC, Erie FC (Akron), Detroit FC, Grand Rapids FC.
    Southern Conference: Houston FC, Fort Worth-Dallas (Texas Dreamers FC, Arlington), San Antonio FC, Austin FC, Oklahoma FC, New Orleans FC, Nashville FC, Atlanta FC, Jacksonville FC, Tampa Bay (Rowdies FC), Miami-Fort Lauderdale (Alligators FC) and Birmingham (Highlanders FC).
    NASL PLAYOFF: 8 teams (4 Conference League Champions and 4 Runner-ups).
    NASL PLAYOFF CHAMPIONSHIP: 2 teams, one match.
    The NASL Championship winner qualifies for the NASL Super Cup.
    NASL LEAGUE CUP.
    (Conference coefficients enters here. More Berths in the Group stage)
    48 Clubs.
    Qualifying Round. 32 Clubs. Home and away. (the 16 eliminated clubs are the first to enter to US Open Up from NASL).

The 32 (16+16) teams are drawn into 8 groups of four teams, and play each other in a double round-robin system. The 8 group winners and eight runners-up proceed to the knockout phase that culminates with the final match in May.
    The winner of the NASL League Cup qualifies for the NASL Super Cup.
    NASL SUPER CHAMPIONS CUP. Season-raiser match.
    NASL Premier League Champion vs NASL League Cup Champion. Host City.

3. jatrain

jatrain Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow.

athletics68 repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer the question, no it probably can't be the pro-eminent soccer competition. But it could still exist, have lots of fans and be happy. It could.

5. domingo7

domingo7 Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Double WOW

6. HydraHamster

HydraHamster New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    #6 HydraHamster, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    In my opinion, no. The NASL have a vision to be a first division league that follows the global model, but I feel they don't have the right people running things to pull it off. Bill Peterson have done a decent job running the NASL, but he lacks any experience in the very system he wants to create. He is not a former soccer player, coach, club manager nor club owner. Same thing with Don Garber. Garber became MLS commissioner without any soccer history to his name, yet he still became commissioner. How? If the NASL was truly serious about being a D1 league and upstage MLS, they will need outside help from experienced foreign soccer management professionals.

After that, if they still want to do the pro/reg plan, they could create a league lower than them like the USL and the current revival of the ASL. If the NASL created another league with the purpose of a future pro/reg, I have no doubts teams would be lining up.

7. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    They don't be worried about NASL League divison level, the sould be worried about soccer popularity, club popularity, league popularity, etc. Because this determine soccer revenues (sponsor, investors, television contracts, etc.).

This elements will determine in the future wich league will be D1 or D2.

What do you think about club membership?

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I used to ride the bus to work, occasionally a woman I used to work with would ride it, too.

I didn't much care for her.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know the cigarette lighter was actually invented BEFORE the match was?

10. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Kenn, as usual you are antagonistic and think you know better than everyone. Your bias offends me and hurts my feelings. I was there and can state categorically the the match predated the lighter by at least 15 minutes.

11. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I think free membership into the league is a big mistake, regardless if u give other financial reqs. Its kind of like playing Texas hold em without blinds. There just has to be a rake...

If the league ballooned that fast it would surely not be prominent. Where would the infrastructure come from? or are you imaging this grandiose vision to be in rented HS stadia?

Pro/rel meh...

I'm all for the local derbies, and friendlies vs MLS teams for sponsored cups. It's been mentioned before. Florida Cup is an example.

Taking the continental thing out of NASL is kind of weird. Don't even understand where reasons for that could come from.

Overall: No.

oknazevad and The One X repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The neighbor kid is addicted to nicotine gum and Tamiflu. I'm not a big baseball fan but I think the kid might have a future.

13. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Why did he have to include the New England Heartbreakers [I hate those guys!] what's wrong with the New England Force and their proud history?

I think the kid with the Tamiflu used play left back for the Force; he was always sneezing on the overlaps.

14. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    When you want to start one thing we must be more down to earth.
    You can't ask for a lot of Money just for enter and then what? how you buy players, hires a good coach and staff, stadium, training camp, etc. This Money should be spended on this things.

NASL should be greatfull if a lot of teams want to join their league with Money to run all the operation involved with a soccer club.

Open doors policy is the best way to NASL growing!

I think in a First Phase USL teams should be the focus, at the same time conversations with others investors to create new teams in other markets, or to invest in USL promoted teams.

Is the best way to grow quickily.

Why not invite USL teams to enter 2016 NASL season?

They have 9 independent teams...

Maybe FC Cincinnati, Louisville City FC and Charleston Battery were the best options. It's to bad that Rochester Rhinos and Richmond Kickers are MLS affiliate teams...

This 18 teams could make a NASL dream 2016 season.

In 2017 new teams in Chicago and Baltimore. (Forget Puerto Rico...) (20 teams)
    In 2018 new teams in Western US. (Leaving Canada behind...) (20 teams, only US teams).

15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's in bold, it must be true!

oknazevad and FootySkeptic repped this.
  16. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Because it worked so wonderfully in the past, right? Just throw 'em to the wall, the more the better.

Because USL teams have no desire to join NASL? Y'know, that's why they are USL teams.

oknazevad repped this.
  17. socceralpha

socceralpha New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I am very sympathetic towards NASL. I simply like seeing that the soccer pyramid in the US is filling out. But as far as I can see the question at this moment is not how and when NASL will be a stronger league than MLS. At this point I actually see a non-negligible chance that NASL will not be around anymore in two or three years. In this very moment the league has already to deal with a ton of difficult problems: i) what happens with San Antonio and Atlanta; ii) how will Miami, OKC and Puerto Rico do, especially off the field; iii) how to deal with the risk that USL gets DII status; iv) how to deal with the risk that there might be a Canadian league; v) how to make sure that the own business model is sufficiently attractive to investors so that fewer of them view a NASL team as the inferior alternative when they can choose between USL and NASL (as it has (probably) happened in places like San Antonio, Austin, OKC, Saint Louis, Tulsa etc.); vi) how to make sure that you do not get your ass kicked by USL on the field (USOC) as it happened this year.

I think that these are the kind of problems the people in the league headquarter should concentrate all their effort on. Since I am no marketing expert I don't know if there is any marketing value to continuing to claim that they plan to become a D1 league. But whatever that value that is, I don't think that it would make much sense to take any more concrete steps toward that goal before they have taken care of the above problems. Just think about how difficult it would be to generate the required revenue that you would need to field teams with a quality that is comparable to the current level in MLS (and MLS would certainly up their game if NASL ever became a semi-serious threat). Why would a sponsor pay a lot of money to teams in a league that is still at risk of folding? How would you ever convince a city or a state to help you building a D1-sized stadium in a decent location if many people think you won't be around anymore tomorrow. And if most teams continue to play in stadia that were not built for soccer and which have capacities between 5000 and 10000, how much value can there be in broadcasting games that are played in such venues?

As has been pointed out also by others here on this board, NASL has done a lot of good things for soccer in the US (and Canada): its formation most likely stimulated its competitor USL to up their game; it led to the creation or revival (with fresh investments) of a number of clubs that look solid enough to stay around even if the league won't (Jacksonville, Ottawa, Indianapolis, Tampa, Minnesota); and it has created or revived other clubs which have at least some chance of longterm survival even when NASL goes away (Edmonton - possibly in a Canadian league, Fort Lauderdale, Railhawks); finally, if the NASL survives for a few more years then that should also mean that the Cosmos will survive for that much time (and hence their money will be around) and it also implies that the current expansion teams will have a shot to establish themselves. From the far distance it seems that Miami is doing better than the more pessimistic people thought. Admittedly OKC and Puerto Rico are difficult to judge. So there is no need to dream about (in my view very unrealistic) things that NASL could do in the far future. It already has done some very good things and there are many reasons to believe that they will be able to do more good for at least two or three more years.

FootySkeptic and Burr repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we first got our dog a collar, she didn't quite know what to make of it. And I thought that I probably wouldn't, either, if I were her.

19. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    #19 Paulo PT, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Don't compare with the 70's and 80's. I believe soccer climbed a few steps in US!

Maybe some USL teams could be interested if NASL also were interested.

20. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    The only way the NASL will ever be the top league is if they get a bunch of billionaires to heavily invest in the league. I would rather see the NASL solidify itself as the second best league in the US.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Son, let me help you out.

Work through the business practicalities of your idea first, to see if the daydream has even a chance of becoming reality, and THEN share it with the group. There's simply too much within your post that as of right now isn't plausible, so you're only opening yourself up to ridicule.

It's a fine dream for some, but until you can make the money angle work out you're a long, long way off from what's truly possible.

Cheers.

22. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    @socceralpha I agree with you.

i) Why?
    ii) I think OKL, Puerto Rico and Miami are three bad choices from NASL
    iii) I think it will bad for US soccer have a D2 with so many B Teams. this doesn't help soccer development.
    iv) I think a Canadian League in cooperation with NASL could be a good thing. They could have national leagues and create an international CUP with the best teams from the previous season in Canada, US, Mexico and Puerto Rico. This will do more for NASL than having canadian teams. Without canadian teams they could have more US teams and a better geographic and demographic coverages developing a more solid fan base, because of close rivalry.
    v) and vi) By having a different business and different competion model more competitivity, leading to better team roosters and better games.

23. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    @GriffinGunner If NASL become more successfull on the field, specially against MLS teams NASL could achieve more status.

I don't think NASL should be a D1 league. Their goal should be have the best teams, the best games, the best fan base. Money doesn't makes this, it helps, but in soccer One good coach and rooster is more important than money. I already saw some small teams doing great things.

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Sivlerbacks are unlikely to be around after Atlanta's MLS franchise begins play in 2017, and the rumblings out of San Antonio suggests the leadership there might be pursuing a move to USL as a segue to MLS.
    a) There's still much to how that may yet evolve, and b) how, exactly, will that stifle player development? The goal is to have more players playing more often in a full-time capacity, against other comparable of better talent, no? This would still support that approach.

It may look silly as a marketing exercise for the league, but at this point the US model is faaaaaaar removed from the global standard in league set up.
    This already exists in the form of the CONCACAF Champions League. Making a B-level version of the same will make even less money.
    And, what, pray tell is this magic business model that somehow past and current team owners and league organizers have over looked?
    MLS isn't going to go out of its way to help NASL, so the only time the leagues will compete is in the US Open Cup. To regularly beat the better teams in MLS, the NASL sides will need much better talent, which means more money for players, coaches, facilities, etc. They might beat middling to lower MLS teams on a regular basis, but to make headway in the competition and be considered a contender worthy of bigger respect, it will take much more than NASL has at hand currently.
    Yes, but finding and retaining those rare gems of coaches and players DOES require money. Great coaches aren't seeking opportunities to simply be D2 and performing in front of 5k fans, not when bigger and better options are available. So for every great talent NASL fosters they're just as likely to lose 1.

I'm not anti-NASL and agree I just want all the levels of US soccer to succeed and prosper in their own way, but in the end these are also businesses that must perform on the ledger, and to that end NASL has not shown any indication that it's capable of becoming more than what it already is as a league. And frankly, no one outside of NASL is asking them to be anything more.

25. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    If NASL don't change they will sucumb to MLS atacks: new teams in Atlanta, Los Angeles and Miami, the promotion of Minnesota United FC and I think they will not stop here!

If NASL don't make a bold move USL could become D2 league in a near future.

I think a new NASL team in South Florida will be a mistake, they should try a Strikers rebranding to become more appealing to all the area, abandoning "Fort Lauderdale" or "Miami" designations. I don't know maybe "Gold Coast FC", "El Dorado FC" or "Dorados FC".

With this they could move Miami franchise to other location. The same thing with Rayo OKC.

I think Chicago, Detroit, New England or Baltimore would be better locations.