Could Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Jacksonville be an option for expansion?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Hoosier388, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Hoosier388

Hoosier388 New Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1 Hoosier388, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Could Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Jacksonville be an option for expansion?
    The MLS as it looks now

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    01. Atlanta United FC
    02. Chicago Fire
    03. Columbus Crew SC
    04. D.C. United
    05. Montreal Impact
    06. New England Revolution
    07. New York Red Bulls
    08. New York City FC
    09. Orlando City SC
    10. Philadelphia Union
    11. Toronto FC

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    01. Colorado Rapids
    02. FC Dallas
    03. Houston Dynamo
    04. LA Galaxy
    05. Minnesota United FC
    06. Portland Timbers
    07. Real Salt Lake
    08. San Jose Earthquakes
    09. Seattle Sounders FC
    10. Sporting Kansas City
    11. Vancouver Whitecaps FC

What Cities are next? We can all speculate but will we ever know until it is actually announced what cities have been awarded an expansion team.
    Article on the MLS website naming 12 cities - https://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/expansion/2017/expansion-cities-bids
    Cities listed in the article
    Charlotte
    Nashville
    Indianapolis
    Detroit
    Phoenix
    St. Louis
    Raleigh / Durham
    San Antonio
    Sacramento
    Cincinnati
    Tampa Bay / St. Petersburg
    San Diego
    + maybe Las Vegas

2. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say very unlikely.

Even if MLS expands to 32, there are still more markets than spots available, and the ones you're asking about would rank behind all on the current list. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, and Cinderella stories do happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

UCFWayne repped this.
  3. ameg4u

ameg4u New Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 19, 2017
    No chance for Pittsburgh. Riverhounds struggle to bring in fans as majority are families of their programs. Disfunctional state organization and youth scene for way too many years. Very sad for such a great city and great history of pro sports.

Hoosier388 repped this.
  4. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Those cities would be great targets for NASL if they could get over themselves and just merge with the richer USL clubs to form a strong D2 league. (Whispers) that someday might have a case for D1.

5. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think any of those really has a chance. I think Pittsburgh would have the best chance to get a team. Jacksonville is too small. Milwaukee doesnt add much that Chicago and Minnesota dont already cover. Baltimore is already somewhat covered by DCU.

6. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that the NFL passed over Baltimore when it awarded expansion franchises to Jacksonville & Charlotte -- and only got back into the NFL by swiping the Browns. In the '70's, Baltimore lost the NBA Bullets to the D.C. suburbs and in the '80's lost the Colts to Indianapolis. Although, Baltimore has proven itself to be a great baseball & football town and although the corridor between The Notrhern Virginia & Harford County (both the O's & the Ravens have strong fan support in the D.C. Suburbs) is a high growth area, Balitimore is not necessarily a sexy destination for MLS.

There may be some traction for MLS expansion to Baltimore because D.C. United's new stadium is going to be undersized for a very sizeable metropolitan area. For what it's worth, Orioles and Ravens games are cablecast in the D.C. suburbs.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, it could happen.

I could also get a date with a 28 year old super model with a huge bank account and a willingness to take me on a 6-month long cruise.

That's more likely to happen than any of those four cities at this point.

UCFWayne and tallguy repped this.
  8. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former resident of the Pittsburgh area, it would shock me to see them in MLS. They had a bankruptcy a short time back, and bounced back, sort of, only to have more financial problems (another bankruptcy?), and I'm seen lots of talk about leaving Highmark (already) and building somewhere else. I'm under no impression is has anything to do with MLS. If it does, some deluded people live there.

9. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Those problems come from a bad business plan. You can have a bad business plan anywhere - Pittsburgh, Portland, Seattle, Toronto. They used 10+ mil, mostly in loans, to built an un-expandable, 3500 seats, minor league stadium, whose best feature is city view (which is nice for tourists, but you are targeting local season ticket holders). Would fail anywhere.

10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Any city can make it. All it takes is some real estate mogul wanting to use a club as leverage to redevelop something.