Could Bradley Wright Phillips have made a difference for the Reggae Boyz?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Unak78, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1 Unak78, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Only a few years ago it seemed like Jamaica might finally be on the cuff of reestablishing it's football within CONCACAF. Last cycle they finally made the Hex again after some time away, and then followed that up by beating the US and going to the Gold Cup Final. They also showed well in the Copa America from a few years back. It seemed that the national program was on an upswing. Then Bradley Wright Phillips, a UK-bred strike who had seemed to have had his opportunity at international football long behind him with a move to the US and little chance at the Three Lions, experienced a revival in his career and showed that he could be a clinical finisher. MLS isn't the EPL or even Liga MX, but it is a good quality and many MLS players have shown that they could help Jamaica in the past.

It seemed promising too; Phillips had outright ignored the overtures from Grenada, but appeared to give Jamaica at least some thought. Unfortunately, it seemed (at least to me) that his interest hinged on Jamaica's ability to make the World Cup or at least be on the cusp of qualifying. It seems like a missed opportunity on both Jamaica and BWP's part, since BWP might have given them a better chance to qualify. If World Cup play is to be BWP's price for participation, then helping the only team that wants him and had at least an outside shot to to actually make it to one would seem to be the least he could do. So I wonder, from any who know the Jamaican side and what happened to them more than I do, could BWP have added anything? Or perhaps I'm just wishfully thinking.

It has seemed, lately though, that one of Jamaica's biggest problems (and this is even during their relative successes over the last few years) is lack of goal production. They struggled to score during the last Hex. And though their defending was a problem during the current qualifying, they might have helped themselves to relieve some of that pressure on their defenders if they were seen as more of a threat to score at the other end. Any thoughts?