Costa Rican invasion in Guatemala Football good or bad

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by lguti9, Jun 5, 2012.

1. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    What do you guys think about Costa Rican players and coaches coming to Guate, does it harm or does it help our football grow?

ChaChaFut repped this.
  2. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Being a Tico I think it's better to have C.A. players with experience...instead of S.A. players that come from 4th division leagues. IMO i prefer to use the youth system before signing foreigners but every C.A. club/NT only cares about the present and not the future.

3. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    IMO, i dont mind that Costa Rican players and coaches come to Guate, as long as they make our football better and coaches giving young players more chances. But whats happening to the Rojos of Municipal is that their coach of Costa Rica took out 6 players and brings two Costa Rican forwards, i mean i know el Sheriff wants to clean house but shouldnt he look at the young players from their canteras first. To me thats the only thing that bothers me, that this coach dont give a chance to local young players.
    http://www.lared.com.gt/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5949&catid=44&Itemid=83

4. butters0154

butters0154 Member

Jan 26, 2012
    SCO
    Club:
    CD Suchitepéquez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i kinda agree with guti. I dont care who comes to Guate as long as they are helping our futbol get better. I mean you can even look up north and see what the Dutch are doing to Chivas. Its helping their club bring better players up. Thats the model all the clubs in Guate should be looking. An emphasis on youth and development. I also like what Tico said about the SA from lower divisions coming to Guate looking for a paycheck.

5. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Let's put it this way: It does not help the local players, but the impact is almost insignificant compared to the bigger issues in the Guatemalan footballing system. In fact, IMO it's a wash, because the presence of more competitive players (if they really are) would raise the bar for the locals. So my answer is - neither good or bad. People just like to use to excuse to the poor level of the local game.

6. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Hernán Medford made Xela champions and I believe he only brought one Costa Rican player (Patterson has always been on the team so he doesn't count).

7. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    So they just keep coming, now Xela has 6 Ticos on their squad, wow. I was also reading that there's 56 foreign players playing in Guate now in this season, and only 1 is eligeble to play with the Sele, y es Tico. When are the young Guatemalan kids suppose to play??????

BallinBear repped this.
  8. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I know the point was to make our leage better which would make our players better. But you're right guti, how are they supposed to get better when we have so many foreign players on the field.

9. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    That's way too many ticos. Most of them are washed up anyway. Just another way the directivos are screwing the pooch. :oops:

10. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Interesting article about the salaries of Costa Ricans playing in Guatemala. It also talks about the hostile envinronment when visiting "Narco clubs" like Peñarol La Mesilla, Heredia, and Malacateco 2 of which are within minutes of the Mexican border.

It was widely known that La Mesilla was narco funded.. but I have never read it from a true source.

http://www.pentarojo.com/index.php/...stancado-y-los-ticos-atascados-de-dinero.html

jfcule repped this.
  11. butters0154

butters0154 Member

Jan 26, 2012
    SCO
    Club:
    CD Suchitepéquez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great Read Popol! i never knew about all that. the saddest thing in the article is when they mention pay is almost double then what it is in Costa Rica! How can we be paying these salaries and have our national team be in the state it is now?? its terrible!

jfcule and edcalvi repped this.
  12. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Yeah it's unfortunate and Guatemala has always been the highest paying league in C.A.

13. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Que mierda. Me recordo este excelente documental, "the two Escobars" sobre el narcofutbol colombiano . En Colombia, durante la epoca de Pablo Escobar, los carteles tenian cada uno un equipo. Y cuando jugaban presionaban al arbitro y jugadores. Que triste que nuestra guate este llegando a eso.

Les dejo el link, si tienen tiempo se los recomiendo.

14. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The thing about that time in Colombian football though is that they saw a boom in both the clubs and national team in Guatemala it seems you have the negatives from that time without the positives. I think the Costa Rican invasion is a bad thing for your football do your clubs put limits on how many foreigners they can have?

jfcule repped this.
  15. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I lost track of this, I'm not even sure how many are allowed now at top flight. Six? I know the Primera de Ascenso allows 3 per team.
    It used to be so much better back in the day when teams were only allowed 2 foreigners. You would see much more quality of players, they would add appeal to the games. Sumich, Castagnero, El Peruano Vargas, Calero, etc. all great players, unlike the overpaid bums we have nowadays.

16. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Completamente de acuerdo. Solo me parecio que podria propiciar violencia, como paso en Colombia.
    Ni idea del limite de extranjeros, si es que hay...

17. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Well slams, the thing in Guate is that most teams nationalized these players so they wont play as foreigners, example: la Chula Oscar Isaula from Honduras, Patterson from Costa Rica, Jhonny Cubero and i can go on. Thats how most teams get away with it and the sad part is that out of the 56 foreign players playing in Guate this season only 3 are eligeble to play with Guate. Sad isnt it.

18. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Is that 56 spread across just the 1st and 2nd division?

19. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I believe thats spread between 1st and 2nd but def. most are in 1st