Costa Rica vs US PBP

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by goussoccer, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Llegett brings an immediate improvement

His injury in qualifying was a bigger blow that most realize.

Marko72, OWN(yewu)ED and Winoman repped this.
  2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so happy for Llegett

3. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    i don't understand how people can't see why Adams and McKennie are not anchors. Trapp and Bradley have particular skill sets and playing styles that fit that. I have no problem trying to find upgrades, but you want those two guys in the roles of guys like Roldan. Where they get forward, win the balls, and can have a larger impact.

TrueCrew and Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  4. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I like the idea of a 3-man center midfield of Adams, McKennie, and Lletgett. I think they would complement each other quite well. Hope ggg tries it.

due time and kickin365 repped this.
  5. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I don’t think any of those fits that possession anchor role. We’ll see though

Marko72 repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was a BIG deal unfortunately, big player for us

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They don't care if they play the role the way that Berhalter wants it played. They want to throw as many of their favorite European-based players into the lineup. Thats what some fans believe the NT should be about.

I disagree about Bradley. He's 31, not any better than Trapp, and bad for the culture around the NT. I'd much rather have Altidore in the NT than Bradley. Bradley should've never been called back in again. Trapp has his uses for the team until we find a better alternative.

Pragidealist repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing the way Adams has played for Leipzig would it really be a problem for him to play the 6 or dual 6/8 with the US and play the same? He wins the ball and either dribbles forward or makes a quick pass. He likely doesn't make as many of those long switching passes but when pressed by good teams Trap and Bradley don't either. Playing Adams in that role also allows a better attacking player ahead of him in a three man midfield. That could be Mihailovic, Lledget for now or soon maybe Carleton, Pomykol, Mendez types.

For those who like both Trap and Carleton - in a three man midfield maybe six months from now do you have McKennie, Adams and Trap or Carleton? If both Trap and Carleton do you drop McKennie or Adams?

9. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I don’t think you want that ball winner 6 at the anchor with the us. It’s riskier. He anchor I’m this team is a safety player. Gives safe options in possession and clogs the middle,slows down attacks and diverts passes elsewhere.

You want Adams and Mckennie where they can go after balls and win duals. You want them to have the freedom to get forward and take chances. That’s the box to box role that Roldan had.

Then if you put both Adams and Mckennie in front of a anchor, you pretty much have 3 dmid midfield on a team that’s supposed to be attacking and possession based. Maybe Mckennie and Adams can be more creative passers... I’m not sure. I don’t think they are anchors (but to be fair I’m not sure what Mckennie is— he plays 10 of 11 positions for Shalke these days).

Those great diagonal balls that Trapp played - I’ve never seen Adams or Mckennie do that. Safe, positional dmid play where they are not allowed to take chances (bc it opens up our cbs) - seems completely counter to their playing style. Both play for high pressing, frenetic teams and are asked to win lots of duals, cover ground, and take risks. That’s not the anchor in this system.

They are good players and I have confidence Berhalter sees that and will work to get both in impactful positions.

Before camp - I’ve been wondering if you can play them together. Neither is an anchor and we don’t want 3 dmids in center midfield— I don’t think we have answers but it seems obvious to me Berhalter is trying to solve the same thing.

Only Trapp and Bradley got minutes at the 6. You have to see that anyone that beats them out has to be better at what they are best at ... not just good at what they are weak at.

Right now - In my opinion- that’s not right Adams or Mckennie. That’s ok. It’s not Pulisic either. Overall better talent and potential doesn’t mean you slot them in anywhere just to get them on the field. You make it work out in other places.

Excellency repped this.