Costa Rica vs. Honduras 6-18-2011

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by aguimarães, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Except for that weak penalty.

SABORIO LA CAGO!

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Portillo, #19 I am so glad he pulled that nonsense in front of the referee and got sanctioned with a caution for simulation. I have been looking for a video of the action, but can't find it. It was so bad, so obvious that his post match punishment should involve his being tazered while watching a video of his simulation repeatedly. These antics have no place in football. They make the players look stupid and juvenile and bring games into disrepute.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that Moreno who is from Panama had an excellent match no thanks to both teams, but particularly Honduras who simulated a lot.

4. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Don't hate on portillo ticos. He owned the left side of the field for most of the game and you guys kept hacking us down throughout the first half. It was obvious that until Honduras slowed down, the ticos did not belong on the same field with us. Stop saying that you guys deserved to win and admit that you were lucky not to get out of there goleados. It seemed like a shooting practice out there for Honduras until the 70th minute.

Borges and Ruiz are overrated, they didn't do anything for you guys the entire game. You won't make any noise if those guys are your best players. They are complementary players.

5. BigClos

BigClos Red Card

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    should of been ruiz, but no, that dumb saborino had to take It. was lavolpe that stupid? ruiz had the game In the bag:rolleyes:

6. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    As much as this rivalry is heated. Bryan Ruiz to me is the best player in the region. Enjoy him ticos. Great player. He pulled so much coverage when he went to the middle in the second half, it opened spaces for your wide man. Bryan is a special special player.

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The same Bryan Ruiz who did not complete a single dribble attempt succesfully? Meh. :eek:

Yes: he's special for Twente but for CR he's yet to show up substantially.

8. BigTico

BigTico New Member

Aug 3, 2004

have fun getting blown out by mexico

9. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I thought he was excellent because everytime he got on the ball we had at least two players on him if not more right away. He many times then found open people in wide positions, specially in the second half.

W.O. having an excellent game he still influenced the game plenty.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ruiz tried too hard to put the team on his back.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hmmm, I dunno: at this point he's turning out to be the CONCACAF Lio Messi--great for club, not so great for country.

12. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Ruiz has been injured for most of 2011...showed up injured for the friendly against Nigeria which he didn't play in...did not play against Cuba and came in as a sub against ES...Ruiz may not be a crack (except to most of us Ticos:D) but at least he showed up and tried to carry our young team. Our press and some of the international press might overrate him...but he is still capable of playing for a top club in Europe.

13. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Ruiz looked fine to me. He was one of your best players, I thought. He had a few giveaways, but ultimately was one of the best passers on the team.

The one player you guys should be really excited about is Campbell. That kid only got a few minute in the entire tournament, but he looked really good every time. In this Honduras match, he was practically the only Costa Rican player able to beat defenders one on one.

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, because our players were out of gas, while Joel just so happened to be subbed into extra-time.

15. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Even when taking the match in its entirety. Costa Rica never got through Honduras' defense on one on one plays. They tried to play through the middle like that in the first half and failed miserably.

It's only when they started playing on the wings that they got some good attacks in.

Campbell has been able to actually cut through the middle, not just in this match, but every time he has played.

That might really be because he's only been subbed in late every time, but I really think he has a whole lot of technical ability, and he seems strong enough to get through good defenses as well. He looked great in U-20 qualifiers because of that.

Let's see how he does in the Copa America, where he will be a starter. It will be a baptism by fire for him against Argentina.

16. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    agreed. the TV didn't show his off-the-ball manuevering and smart positioning, despite being well-marked heavily.

i counted several times where he tried to take on up to four players and somehow flicked off some neat passing under that pressure.

now, saborio, on the other hand....:D