Costa Rica has the best paying league in Central America

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by sidspaceman, Sep 7, 2002.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Amado el jugador que más gana en Centroamérica

Los números son claros y no dan espacio para la duda. El campeonato de la Primera División de Costa Rica es el mejor pagado de Centroamérica por encima de Guatemala, Honduras y El Salvador.

Para muestra ningún jugador del área gana los doce mil dólares -201 mil 720 lempiras- que recibe mes a mes el hondureño del Saprissa Amado Guevara, quien es el futbolista mejor pagado de nuestra región, junto al tico Rolando Fonseca del Comunicaciones que tiene un salario de diez mil dólares que equivale a 168 mil 100 lempiras.

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=147&tabla=September_2002&fecha=20020907

2. costarica

costarica New Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Costa Rica
    lo mas triste de todo es que Saprissa tiene deudas de millones y millones, y aun asi traen al Lobo....

y lo mas triste aun, al Lobo no se le ven nada de ganas en la cancha....

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So you think he is just picking up a paycheck?

4. costarica

costarica New Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Costa Rica
    sidspaceman, Saprissa is in chaos right now, most of their players are fed up with each other, its not a very pretty situation. 4 players were semi separated this week from the team, they dont want to call it a separation but theyre not even allowed to train, u go figure, its medford, jeaustin campos, myers and kervin lacey.

Guevara doesnt look like he gives a damn out there, it might be because of the overall turmoil or because he doesnt give a crap, which is always a problem when buying a player late in his career. apparently he's upset hes not in europe, be it whatever it is, hes not trying that hard.

Saprissa would be better off if they cleaned house big time but theyre not doing it. Why? cause theyre as dumb as it gets.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thank you costarica for the info.

The internal problems with Saprissa would explain there leveal of play so far. Of The four that are separated how many are starters? If Saprissa really takes a tumbel do you think they will be forced to clean house?

6. Joe Hadar

Joe Hadar New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Midwest
    Funny, because EL TICO in Republica Deportivo gave the two presenters Saprissa jerseys. What's her name was about to put her's on, when I think someone warned her about having a Tico jersey on, with photos for future reference.

It will be nothing but healthy for Tico football if Saprissa goes down to the 2nd Division.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  8. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Guevara is officially only 26 -- that doesn't seem particularly late in his career. Or do you think that they might have doctored his birthdate?

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well if he is 26 than slacking off in Saprissa is not the way to get noticed by European clubs.

10. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    What Guevara makes is a good salary. Not too many poeple make over 100K a year. Even by US standards, that is top 5%.

But what abot the rest? How well does a player live in Costa Rica making 2-4K dollars a year? Do they live in excess? Do they live normal? Do they need other work to make ends meet?

The reason I ask.. is because because 1000 dollars can get your more in Central America than it can in the US. The league minimum in the MLS is 40K a year. Thats basically 3.3K per month. In reality, that is not a lot. Considering you spend 700-1000 on rent, 200-300 on your car note, 100-150 on food, 100-300 on insurance, other misc. items. You prbabaly have less than $500 a month of descretionary income to do as you please. Add in a wife and a child and forget about it. Now why would a central American player be inclined to go to the US (MLS) if they can make 3-5k per month and get more bang for their buck in Central America? To me that just doesnt make sense. Are they trying to get the greencard? Do they want better living/playing conditions? Do Central American promoters/investers (that reside in the US) offer them more money to come to the US? Do the central American communities in the US market thier players or pay them to sponsor thier restaurants/ businesses, etc?

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Your numbers might be a little off because I don't think the players from Central America stay in the US year round. If they only stay for say the duration of the MLS season the average is higher.

I think some of the Central Americans believe that the MLS will be a better platform for them to show off there skills to Euro clubs.

12. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Those numbers may be off a little... but I think that would have to do more with geographical zoning. The cost of living is a lot more in LA/NY than in Dallas.

I dont know for a fact how much a player like Cienfuegos or Ruiz makes a year, but I would assume they make close to the 100K marker. Isnt Cienfuegos a citzen now?

You do make a good arguement about using the MLS as a platform, but then again.. why would South American players like Valderama, Etcheverry, Moreno, Vaca go to the MLS? Wouldnt they have a better shot at attracting Euroclubs playing in the Copa Libertadores, Copa Mercosur, Copa Merconorte, Copa Sudamericana? I understand some of the leagues have experienced some financial dificulties as of late, but those cups are still very intense and very competetive. In some of the South American leagues, some clubs have not paid thier players in months. In reality they make more $ in South America, but when you are receiving $0 a month...$3.5K a month doesnt sound to bad.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When Valderama joined the league he was allready 35 or so. He was not going to Europe. But I have heard that some MLS players get put up by famalies in the town they are playing in so they can save money on rent.

14. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    In early 1999, Cienfuegos complained about his salary of $103,000. Apparently, the league responded with a significant raise. The LA Times also reports that Ronald Cerritos is making $255,000 per year. You can bet that Ruiz is living mighty comfortably, too.

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Ruiz is going to be living really large very soon.

16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    most top imports to MLS

residents or citizens by now, make 202 to 250k per year plus perks....

I kown for a fact that when pibe arrived to tampa, he got a car financed by the team and free rent for about 10 months (then he bought a House)

the deal upset some players like leonel alvarez, straight salary (no perks).....but, MLS exes show him that not every one has the same value and contract negotiations.

max salary is for the last 6yrs= 250k

some sponsors give perks out that can not be considered salary (but it may look like that to you)

car : dealerships, home builders, etc

17. costarica

costarica New Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Costa Rica
    guevara looks acts and plays like he was 35.

Though id love to see saprissa go down to 2nd division, it wont happen, not with so many bad clubs here.

18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They did win this week.

19. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rdl, some of these Latin players wouldn't mind their children going to an American suburban public school recommended by the team. Public school is free obviously. Those players may be coming here for their kids. The player's wife may like the peace and quiet of American suburban life or something.

There's always that reason.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I know this is the case for Jaime Moreno (whose wife is English) and Raul Diaz Arce. They both simply felt that living in the US was better for them and their families than living in their homeland, for whatever reason.

Part of the reason why Diaz Arce was so upset when he was traded from DC is that he had just gotten his kids used to the idea of living in the DC area. He didn't want to deal with all that again.

Sachin

21. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I understand that political security might be an incentive to go abroad, but Central America (to date) is peaceful. Yeah there are some radical groups out there..but overall it is peaceful.

80-100K a year is commendable in the US. You arent exactly rich, but you are not hurting either(considering you invest well and not waste your money on worhtless crap). a 100K salary in the US wont be able to get you what it will in Central America.

Off-topic...My family has known an this American family for over 20 years. In fact my dad helped him acquire his Mexican citizenship. He came to Tampico in the early 80s working for Dupont. after seeing what he could get in MExico and the life style he was able to live in Mexico.. they went to my father and ask how they could acquire Mexican citizenship. I got curious once and asked him why he decided to stay for so long even after the oil crisis in the mid 80s. HE told me that he took a pay cut from Dupont because he said that he wouldnt have been able to live a particular life style that he got accustimed to in the US. He told me that if it wasnt for him working and living in Mexico, he woulnt have been able to send his kids to some of the best private prep schools and private universities in the states. They started this barbeque restaurant in Gaunajuato and will retire within the next 2-3 years. Retiring at 50 is not bad at all. this is just an example of getting more bang for your buck

My point is... that even if a Carlos Ruiz is getting paid 80K a year in Guatemala or Costa Rica... he still will be able to live a better life..live in exclusive areas, send his kids to private schools. There are a lot of American schools in Latin America. I went to one as a kid most of my teachers came from the US, Europe, or Canada. Not that the other private schools are bad, its just that my folks wanted me to learn both languages at the same time.

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    RDL maybe these guy play in the MLS because they perceive it to be better than the leagues back home.

23. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    true:D that could be it

Do central American businesses in the US market and sponsor thier players?