Cosmos Player Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by 4door, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Question: A lot of people on the Quakes forum are speculating about Eric Calvillo as he was just signed. No one (in San Jose and/or many MLS fans) has really ever seen him play. Can anyone tell me what type of player he is and what he brings defensively or offensively?

3. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric is an offensive player that could benefit SJ/Reno's attack on the right if he gets playing time. When the Cosmos were dealing with injuries, Eric stepped up and did well to earn a rotating place on the 1st team.

Eric had some '2nd assists' too. IMO, I think his best skill is distribution at the moment. Given our teams woes, it hurts to see him leave and I think we would earned the starting role at midfield next year. With his willingness to learn, hopefully, San Jose in an MLS environment can further develop him.

http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/07/31/player-week-cosmos-calvillo-2-goals-earns-honor/ (See Video @ 1:53 for his goal)

falvo repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks for the post!

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Danny Szetela is the first player signed by the Cosmos for 2019. I would expect the roster will look much like it did a year ago with a mixture of veteran professionals and younger players. Glad Szetela is back; he is just the kind of mature player you would want to lead young players.

brentgoulet repped this.
  7. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think borrajo and bardic will be re-signed, wouldn't be surprised if we signed some cosmopolitan soccer league vets for the short Founders cup run. Agreed that they might sign up some u21 players too.

brentgoulet repped this.
  8. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Mendes and Bardic return for 2019.

Mendes is signed for both the NPSL season and the Founders Cup. Bardic joins Szetela as veteran Cosmos first team players returning to the team. Like BRF, I too am hoping to see more players from last years B team returning. I only saw the B team play a little bit but I did like a few of the young players and I hope they will continue to get opportunities.

brentgoulet repped this.
  9. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Cosmos sign Aaron Dennis & resign Darwin Espinal.

Dennis is a Cosmos academy product who has played professionally in the USL and with Miami fc. Last season he was with Penn fc.

I'm both surprised and pleased that Espinal returns. I thought he would move on after last season with the Cosmos B team. He is a quality attacking player.

brentgoulet repped this.
  10. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Cosmos sign Ricardo Bocanegra, an American who played for Atlas in Mexico and most recently with Real Esteli in Nicaragua.

11. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Pedro Galvao and Santiago Castano join the Cosmos.

Galvao was part of Benfica's academy and played in Portugal. I saw him play LB with Edmonton in 2017 and really liked him; he has an engine. Last year he played with Penn fc.

Castano is a 23 year old GK from Queens who played for RBII and then in Columbia.

12. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Three more players signed: Kevin Venegas, Jochen Graf, & Garrett Halfhill.

Halfhill re-signs from last year's B team. Graf played for Tampa Bay last season. Venegas is the big signing here. He played for Minnesota for several years and last year for Indy 11. He's a dynamic overlapping right back.

13. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Two more returnees; David Diosa and Sal Barone.

I really like these signings. Diosa is a very skillful player who play anywhere on the field. Barone is a left sided midfielder/LB who played for Penn fc last season.

14. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    LB Ansi Agolli signs with the Cosmos. He is 36 and the former captain of the Albanian National team. He played mostly recently for Azeri champions Qarabag.

15. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Cosmos re-sign 3 players from last years "B" team; Tenjo [gk], Guernera [fb] and Sanchez [f]. The roster now has 19 players.

brentgoulet repped this.
  16. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    5 more players, all were trialists and most with local ties, gk Paul Blanchette and Jesse Corke, fb Dominick Falanga, mf Guiseppe Barone and Charlie Ladula.

Both gk have played in Europe. Falanga and Barone played for Brooklyn Italians last year. Ladula played with the LI Roughriders.

Only 7 players from last year's team have resigned: Szetela, Bardic, Tenjo, Espinal, Halfhill, Sanchez, & Guarnera. Rosters on low level teams are quite unstable but I would thought more of the team would be back.

17. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    A wonderful player, very creative, I loved watching him play. So sad, to die at 61.