Cosmos Player Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by 4door, Aug 24, 2012.

1. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    I am happy in a way but this means Toquero won't come....Lucky was good but not so prolific and then this year we lack star power if you know what I mean....we had Senna and Raul, Kranijcar even if for a short time, Arango, this year we bought Amauri but he left and to me he was way too old, we will see what happens...

2. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    I am not happy with Mkosana coming back because we need a more prolific player and some star power, but most of all I am not happy about new player from Israel, we don't need him, we have plenty of midfielders and he's no wonder player we need

3. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    The first team is up to 27 players [plus B team players who've occasionally been called up]; minutes are going to be hard to come by. For example, Lucky returning to the team is great but not for Starikov; and we now have 3 Defensive Mids, etc. I suspect someone might be leaving the team to their own benefit elsewhere.

I know Gio likes a large roster and rotating the squad; ideally this how professional teams operate. The core has been reset. Is such a large squad really necessary in an eight team NASL where you out of the Cup and the season is almost half over?

4. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Kalif Alhassan has left the team by mutual agreement. He didn't see many minutes and I don't really think he was going to outside of injuries. He is a solid player; honestly I think this is in his best interests.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  5. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    The wording by the Cosmos of Walter Restrepo leaving for Tampa Bay sounds like, by the player's wishes, they gracious released him. That's plausible but it just doesn't seem right; unlike Alhassan, Restrepo was playing regularly and playing well. Why let such a valuable player leave without compensation?

The team still has good options for players out wide [I would like to see Flores there] and I expect another signing soon.

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I can think of for Walter Restrepo was family considerations, maybe he wanted to move his family to FL? But, Restrepo was a good player so I do share your reservations. As for compensation, I can't imagine any USL/NASL transfers to have a fee with few exceptions though *cough* Freeman.

We do seem to attract a lot of midfielders, perhaps, we'll see a 1-6-3 in the fall season ;)

8. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    I think we should release Ochieng

9. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Eric Calvillo is growing up fast with the Cosmos. Just 19, getting minutes with the first team; and playing well, fantastic goal against Valencia btw.

With the Cosmos resetting the team for the Fall Season minutes might be difficult to come by; but if he does that means Gio has confidence in him beyond his years. This a great story for NASL; I would like to see more young guys getting/earning these opportunities.

10. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Getting Arrango back is great. After the all the off season drama the team is now reset; should be a great fall season. The first game is with Miami and that will be a superb challenge.

Bklyn Royals Fan and NewYorkisgreen repped this.
  11. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I see that Guenzatti is going to sign with the Tampa Bay. I imagine all Cosmos fans were rooting for him to make his way back to the club, like so many others, after his injury. I didn't hear anything but I would think Gio kept in touch enough to know of his progress; I would like to think the club had at least offered him a trial.

Does anyone know more about this?

oneeyedfool repped this.
  12. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Hunter Gorskie has just signed with Tampa Bay; bringing their total of former Cosmos players up to 4. I'm thinking we could've used him right now; dang.

13. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    I'm afraid Savarese is thinking to move to Tampa after this season

14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. I think it is more a case of Gio connecting his former players that aren't a fit in his squad now to a friendly manager. We know he did this with Guenzatti and Restrepo. I wouldn't be surprised if the same didn't happen with Gorskie. Leo came first so who knows with that.

15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that we could use him but the level of usefulness would be contingent on how much he has progressed at CB. We are covered at what was his preferred position, Right Back, between Richter, Mulligan and Velela. Gorskie would also have to be willing to be in a rotation. If he wants to start regularly, Tampa Bay may be the better fit. I believe he went to Poland in search of more minutes so could be the case.

16. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Before all the chaos hit this fall I was hoping that Mendes would transition on to the coaching staff; now....

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1343 falvo, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Just thought I'd post this here as this is where it all started...

40 Years ago today I was in attendance for Pele's Last Testimonial Game at Giants Stadium.

NY COSMOS beat Santos 2-1 with Pele scoring for the Cosmos in the first half before playing for his first club in the second. Attendance was 75,646..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah righto_O ...Would be pretty nice to have a testimonial match for Mendes, with a RBNY XI vs Cosmos XI. He did play most of his career in NY.

19. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Great video essay on Carlos Mendes on NASL.com. I really hope the future for him involves the Cosmos; he's exactly the quality guy you would want to have in the organization.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Saturday Comes repped this.
  23. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    The Cosmos have sold Eric Calvillo to SJ in the MLS. This is great for him and may have happened regardless of the current league status as the Cosmos have had a solid record of complying with players wishes.

The fact the court hasn't decided the case has put NASL clubs behind USL for players for 2018; no new signings, no start date for the new season [be it NASL, NISA, or other]. Yes this is partly self inflicted but I think the USSF must share some of the blame. Also the uncertainty for the new season causes havoc for the current NASL players. Do you have a contract? Have kids? Know which city you're going to be working/living in?

Basically, the court not issuing a ruling has effectively hurt all NASL clubs and players for 2018.

24. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF issued it's decision in September if I remember correctly, so you can't really blame them here.