Cosmos B join the NPSL

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by msilverstein47, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Cosmos B is a replacement for the Red Bull reserves.

2. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=39892
    Another article on the announcement today. IMO this is one big step for the academy, now the kids have somewhere to go in order to develop. It would be great if they could play in Queens or BK. I would go catch some of this game for sure.

Sam U El repped this.
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well no...it was the NYRB U23s who played in the NPSL and became champions last year. The NYRB Reserves played games vs. the USL Pro last year.

Sam U El repped this.
  4. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Did the RB pull the U23 team from NPLS? Or will the Cosmos B play them?The North Atlantic conference is where the RB u23 played last year and where the Cosmos B will play.

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A great step going towards building a system. Odd how the NYRB u-23 still play in the NPSL rather than PDL. WILL NYRB u-23 still be in the NPSL in 2015?

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 msilverstein47, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Steve, no matter what they might say the USL PDL and NPSL are virtually the same. They certainly could have moved NYRB U23s to the other NPSL conference with Hershey, Binghamton and Clarkstown. I know that the Lehigh Valley United Sonic have left the NPSL so there is a spot in that conference open...guess that we'll just need to wait and see.

7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NYRB have removed their U23 team from NPSL. I don't think they've announced if it's being completely scrapped in favor of a professional Reserve team in USL Pro ... or if it will continue as is in the PDL, but it will not be in the NPSL in 2015.

8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If indeed they do go without a U-23 club. affiliating with Jersey Express, who play right in Newark, to give their Academy players that are playing in the NCAA close by and keep their NCAA eligibility. Express also field a super-20 team. Keeping all their NCAA players active in the summer

9. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bklyn Italians vs Cosmos B @ John Dewey HS. A local game during the summer!

10. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Is that where the Italians play their home games, I'm trying to figure out where Cosmos B will play home games. I wouldn't mind catching some of those games, specially with this ridiculous split season format.

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone confirm if this Cosmos B (Reserve) squad is going to be paid professionals or more of an extension of their academy? Just curious, I know the NPSL/PDL level is kind of a mix of pro's and am's ... just curious.

12. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The games are usually free.

Make sure to bring a comfortable chair and your own food, they have no seats or concessions. Though Coney Island is nearby and there a bunch of fast food places around the school. There are a few benches around the field but they are far from the field.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  13. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks for the info. Good soccer for free, can't beat that. Now I wonder where the Cosmos B will play home games, hopefully Queens or Bk.
    I would think the way Cosmos have been signing midfield players some of our least used midfielders will end up in the B team. IMO Cosmos B will have a mixture or Pros and Academy players.

Blando13 repped this.
  14. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know due to the USL Pro - NASL rivalry that would never happen but it would have been fun if the Cosmos B played all the MLS 2 teams in the USL Pro instead! ;)

Blando13 repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Isn't it getting a bit too close to the start of the NPSL season to still not have a roster or a place to play? I hope they anounce something soon.....

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah the NPSL regular season probably doesn't start until the 2nd or 3rd week in May...

18. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    msilverstein47 repped this.
  19. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=40444
    Cosmos are trying to schedule a double header at MCU park in May. it would be Cosmos B vs BK Italians, then Cosmos vs Ottowa. This is great for the Cosmos, it would this bring many BK Italian supporters to the stadium then some if not all would stay for Cosmos game. Plus it does create a bit of a derby with the teams being so close and having history within their ranks.

brentgoulet repped this.
  22. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://nonleagueamerica.blogspot.co.../interview-jon-fonseca-rhode-island-reds.html

Speaks: What is the biggest hold up with the NPSL schedule in the Northeast? And how frustrating is it that part of the league has been able to release their schedules and they seem to be functioning at a higher level?

Fonseca: Cosmos B came on late this year - and what they are trying to do, and smart for them, is that they are trying to play back to back games. Thus the holdup is trying to fit in that situation with a new team after preliminary schedules were already discussed. In addition to this, the NPSL has raised minimum standards this year in terms of capacities, venues, locker room accommodations, etc. so some teams have had to go out and find new places to play which has been a challenge. It has been a little frustrating this year - yes, but it because they need to get these standards in place in order to move forward.

24. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia