Joe Corona at Club Tijuana (Xolos)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 30, 2009.

1. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he looks very shifty in midfield and picking out smart passes

he's playing better than I remember last seeing him

edcrocker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And Necaxa scores against the run of play, in their first actual chance. Bummer.

3. ShadowMoses2

ShadowMoses2 Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Austin, Tx
    For as much of the talk about arriola, I think joe corona has been playing just as well and deserves just as much attention.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, Arriola was taken out a while ago, he looked tired (69').

Necaxa scores again, guided by that master of the counter, the Chilean Edson Puch --who scored two versus Mexico in the Centenario 7-0 rout.

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Corona made U.S. Soccer's official weekend wrap for players abroad, after being left out for a long while. (Note, a guy like Caleb Stanko is off the list after being on the list under Klinsmann.) Corona hasn't been capped since the '15 Gold Cup but apparently is at least under watch by Arena.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    There's been a lot of talk about the #10 position since Bruce took over, but his best options right now are over 30. I have been trying to figure out the best fits for 2018 if age catches up with Kljestan, Feilhaber and Dempsey. Nagbe comes to mind but Bruce seems to like him wide. Do people think Corona fits there? I believe Klinsmann has tried him there before.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Corona killed our attacking moment under Klinsmann.

I doubt he could be useful, unless we tried to switch to tiki-taka for good.

8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He played there with the U23's and while he finished very well he didn't show the ball retention, chance creation, or playmaking skills that spot normally requires. He has 10 career goals and 14 career assists in 125 games worth of minutes.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Coronoa is a "playmaker" light to me.

His versatility allows him to create at a reasonable rate at a more than respectable level like Liga MX, but it doesn't define his skill set and I don't think you can depend on him as a 10 at the international level.

I would like to see him back in the fold as added depth, I think he could be serviceable at a number of MF positions.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    That's my take as well. I'm just not seeing the #10 options under 30.

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think he would be another option as an 8 in the 4-1-4-1 in front of Bradley or Dax.

He's more positionally disciplined than Jermaine Jones. Well, that comparison is an insult to the term positionally disciplined. Joe Corona is disciplined. He has a good portion of bite in the tackle and touch on the ball.

He won't create like Lletget but he's able to control space physically at a higher level.

He's really playing well for Xolos right now.

12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Pulisic is more than capable enough, IMO.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Non-descript performance from Joe, but he was really steady as always. He's not responsible for offensive creativity in Piojo's system, which is based on width from wingbacks and the hold up play of their #9 Argentine Milton Caraglio.

Especially on the road, they look to contain and keep shape, and uncoil on the counter. It worked great for 70 minutes, up 3-0 on three ridiculous goals until it all fell apart and finished 3-3. Joe was not a part of the collapse, he subbed out immediately after the 3-1 (although he could have done a little more to defend the header on the first goal, which came from a corner.)

Point is though, he is an absolute fulcrum in this midfield, and has been from the third game when he started in Xolos 1-0 win at Chivas, a run of 5 league matches now.

It's him and Guido Rodriguez partnering there in the middle, in front of a back three when the wingbacks go forward. (Arriola is the wingback on Joe's right side).

Victor Malcorra provides width on the left, and Colombian Aviles Hurtado, who is an absolute badass, roams all over the field underneath Caraglio.

So Joe stays home, he doesn't need to go anywhere. When he came out in the 72nd, you could see the shape buckle. He is really really solid

Subtle to a fault. Physical, endurant, positionally flawless. This was not one of his best games really, but his consistency is notable.

This is the midfield where Juninho couldn't get a game last season and came back to the Chicago Fire. One of the best squads in Mexico over the last 9 months and Joe Corona is right there in the middle of it.

ChuckMe92 and edcrocker repped this.
  15. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midfield wasn't lining up that way in the first part of the game though. I agree he was completely solid but you could see the strange shift in defensive formation befor 50 minute mark... do you agree?

16. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cross post from Arriola Thread: I'm frustrated with myself and others finding it hard to support our Liga MX players... Pretty much no one pays attention on Big Soccer. They are pretty accessible.... Anyone with thought on why this is?

17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #692 Rahbiefowlah, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Well the wingbacks really vary with how far they stay back, and Aviles goes anywhere. So sometimes it's a solid back 5 for a while and sometimes Corona drifts right. I think Pumas started being more aggressive and the game opened up severely the whole second half. I mean there were 5 goals that half, but I just think Xolos was absorbing more pressure and countering the space.

It's a little bit asymmetrical, Malcorra is more aggressive than Corona and Arriola is more aggressive than Perez. Guido stays more central as a dedicated ball-winner and Corona shuttles.

Sometimes Malcorra stays a lot higher for longer. I don't know, what did you see?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i guess none are goal scorers right. Maybe that has something to do with it.

For me I only follow the PL. And if a Yank plays in Bundesliga or La Liga or Serie A I'll pay a little attention to those leagues (outside of course watching BM/Barca games).

19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well you watch what you watch. I loved watching Edgar Castillo when he played for Xolos. I almost never watch him for Monterrey. I watched a few Puebla games when Herc was on his streak, but only caught Beaz a couple times. I watched Villafaña twice last year and Jose Torres a couple times for Tigre's when he hit back in the team.

This season I wake up at 6:30 on Saturdays because I'm watching 2-3 Bundesliga games at once. I watch every Liverpool game.

I used to watch every single Premier League game I could get my eyes to. But now I never watch anything. I haven't seen any Premier League team play anybody but Liverpool or a Champions League team in probably 2-3 years.

If Efrain Alvarez were to sign for Toluca and makes in debut in a couple years I'll be glued.

neems and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm the same for Liverpool though games begin 445am on Saturdays for me. My enthusiasm for the CL hasn't been the same since they crashed out of years ago. I do enjoy watching Barca and i liked PSG when Zlatan was there,

Rahbiefowlah and neems repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011