Cordcutting Union Fan

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UdiHrant, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I go the other way. I'm happy to pay more for less. But by less I mean more. I'd kill for fios to get FS2. I've got the xfinity top package, I buy MLS for when I travel and the NHL package. But I'm a household of four adults, mileage may vary. I don't care if it's $150 or $200, I just want to watch the damn game wherever I am in the world. I've got Apple TV and a smart tv came with a Roku stick plus and Xbox one. I'm pretty sure I can get whatever movie or game there is, and that's better then saving $50. I just cut back on my narcotics habit and it pays for himself. But man, you guys with rooftop OTA antennas, I salute you. Probably still hitting up Radio Shack forums scavenging for parts like a Mad Max movie.

billf, lopezzzz, Cherry Hill SOB and 5 others repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lopezzzz and cwelch999 repped this.
  3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not helpful, perhaps, but the term cord cutting bothers me a bit. When you stop buying TV from Comcast, Verizon, et al, you're not really cutting the cord since you still need their internet service and neither company is all that broken up about that end of the bargain. :)

4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't do it to stick it to Comcast. But just paying for internet is A LOT less than I was paying for my X1 service.

billf and thomas19064 repped this.
  5. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give it a few years.

billf repped this.
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pay 29.99/month flat to fios for internet only.... not a penny more. I'm saving $100+/month compared to what I had previously. I don't really give a damn about Verizon or Comcast, I care about my bottom line.

lopezzzz and billf repped this.
  7. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK Then. Here I am again. I pay for my Verizon Fios cable and my mother pays for her Comcast cable. Can I use EITHER of those subscriptions to stream Philadelphia Union games live wither through a browser or app?

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just use your Mom's username and password and use the Xfinity TV app........you can watch the game through that. OR you can watch it on TCN with your Verizon FiOS account.

lopezzzz and Dills repped this.
  9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Xfinity TV Everywhere service, and as long as the Union is on CSN, you should be able to stream games ... maybe.

10. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea Dills - this is what I was hoping since you see these commercials where happy campers are running around watching their favorite Comcast or Fios programming on all types of devices. In reality they are VERY restricted. My Comcast App seems to carry Flyers and Phills only and the Fios app carries NO sports live. If someone knows different please let me know.

11. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I have Fios and I think you can only stream what you have recorded on the upper end DVR and not "live" TV. I don't have the upper end DVR so can't say for sure but that seems to be what they imply when they want me to upgrade.

12. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. My MLS Live was not working on Sat night so I tried to watch my DVR in OC Md. It wanted me to upgrade.

Sidenote: MLS Live stinks when using the 1st gen Chromecast to watch live games.

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My MLS Live was working fine on my iPad during the first half. I closed out to putter around online at half time and could not get back in.

14. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Live certainly has its moments depending on what device you are using. Fortunately my MLS Live redunancy is pretty ridiculous.

Chromecast not working? I move to Roku Stick.
    Roku Stick not working? I move to iPad
    iPad not working? I move to laptop.
    Laptop not working? I do something else.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If it ain't on the talky picture box I cain't watch it. Chromecast? How you watch TV on a fishin' pole?

16. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm going to buy the latest version of Apple TV for the single sign on. Streaming is such a turn off with every time I try to watch something remembering log in info. The tv with the cable box just, you know, turns on and shows tv. No 18 characters password to remember. They even colored the button on the remote to help me find it faster.

Get off my lawn.

17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Comcast and Verizon aren't supporting single sign on. (not yet at least)

18. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    [​IMG]

jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm on a Roku Premier + that I got at the beginning of this year and don't have to keep signing in when I use it. Got that jawn hooked up with Playstation Vue and MLS Live, and I have more soccer than I could ever get with any cable package under $100. Only downside is I've heard Apple TV's interface (on PS Vue especially) is a lot better than Roku. There's a few stupid things on Roku's PS Vue like no "last channel" button, and you can't keep watching the channel you're on while you browse the channel lineup.

20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple TV's interface is slick. When I worked at Comcast there was a room that we could go to that had all of the products in the TV space, Netflix, PS Vue, Xbox, AppleTV, DirecTV, Dish, Amzon Prime, Chromecast, you name it, it was there. Apple TV had a stunning interface, beautiful.

thomas19064 repped this.
  21. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I taught my 68 year old in-laws how to use Apple TV.. that's the sign of a good interface.

Honestly interface is the #1 reason I'm loyal ATV... even my OTA channels are self contained in Apple's interface.. never need to toggle inputs.

(Airplay functionality is another plus)

billf repped this.