Coppa Italia Thread 2017

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Jan 10, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Take the comments from le pagelle with a grain of salt. These so-called journalists have no clue. Marchisio is still in recovery. The knee seems to be sound but he has had to take longer for the muscles to recover. Allegri has been smart about this.He is also 31 and hopefully he realizes his body cannot take the punishment from making stupid tackles as he did last year that tore up his knee.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, a few days ago Allegri did say that Marchisio wouldn't feature in the Coppa, next thing you know, he's playing.

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The Khedira injury played a big part. The Pjanic suspension was already in place. The thing about Marchisio is that his value is what he does off the ball, especially on the defensive side. But if he does not play like Zidane, then he is not much of anything according to some.

Rosay repped this.
  5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Here we go with the fake Marchisio controversy.

juveeer repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know the FA Cup in England was always more prestigious, even more so than the league. Coppa Italia never really was that big of a deal after they did away with the Cup winners Cup. . Not trying to put a damper on another trophy but what is gained by wining Coppa Italia? A spot in the Europe or CL?

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    A spot in the EL for a team not having a good season. That should be some incentive. More important is being a champion. Parma never won Serie A during its heyday but they made it their goal to being home silverware. That creates a certain mind in players to be winners. Juve dominates for that reason.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So because Juventus will win the league and made the CL, does this mean Lazio will make the Europa League?

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lazio made the EL based on their standings. They will finish among the top 6 and get a spot. It use to be that the runner-up would get a place if the Coppa winner already qualified for Europe, as is the case with Juve. The FIGC ended that policy a year or two ago. A team must actually win to get in.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So who will takes Italy's Coppa Italia spot in Europe? It can't be Napoli or Roma because they are both in the CL. Will it be Cesena or Inter?

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No one. Juve won and they are in the CL. Whomever among Roma or Napoli that finishes second gets automatic group stage in the CL. The other has playoff to qualify. If they lose, they go to the EL. Lazio and Atalanta have secured spots in the EL. Milan, Fiorentina & Inter are fighting for the last spot.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It doesn't make any sense. If the Coppa Italia winner gets an automatic chance to play in Europe and Lazio and Juve are already qualified for European competition, then who will take Italy's vacant EL spot?

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It is not automatic. It only applies if the Coppa champion does not qualify on its own, i.e. it finishes in 7th or worse place.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So what happens to the extra spot? Does the 7th place team not go if someone else wins the Coppa Italia? It all sounds so confusing...

15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Right now, we only have 6 teams that qualify from Italy. The top two go CL group stage. Automatic, no playoff. Third place goes to the CL playoff. If they lose, they go to the EL (Roma this past season). Teams 4th & 5th are in the EL. The 6th will go if there is no Coppa champion to take up the spot. I think the 6th has to playoff, while 4th & 5th go EL group. If there is a Coppa entry, they may have the group spot and the 5th has to playoff. But I am going by memory here.

juveeer repped this.
  16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Past season Europe Place for Serie A

(1) Juve & (2) Napoli - CL Group Stage
    (3) Roma - EL Group Stage (lost to Porto 4:1 aggregate for CL Group Stage)
    (4) Inter & (5) Fiorentina - EL Group Stage
    (6) Sassuolo - EL Group Stage (defeated Crvena Zevzda 4:1 aggregate)

Deleted User x repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, if Juventus wins the CL, will Italy get another CL spot next year?

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Asked & answered already. No. That would be similar in circumstance as the Coppa. If Juve were sitting in 7th or worse, did not win the Coppa but won the CL, then they would get an extra spot. Nothing changes much for teams 1 through 6 (maybe the playoff situation). But as things sit now, Juve qualifies automatically for the CL and no extra place is given. The story is different for Manchester United if they win the EL. That would jump them into the CL.

19. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    At the expense of one of the teams that qualified through league standings or would they be added as a 5th potential CL entry for England?

Also, does winning the EL get you into the CL playoff or automatically into the group stage?

20. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Hopefully not. F*ck the rest of Serie A.

It's not like ASs Roma or Nipoli do anything in the CL anyway. At this rate, UEFA should just directly pay Juventus whatever money they allocate for other Italian teams. It wouldn't be any different than what's happened every year for the past five years.

gumbacicc and juveeer repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #271 falvo, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Its not about doing anything in the CL. Its mostly about getting teams CL revenue so that Italian clubs can make the Serie A the strongest league in the world again. Unless you are happy with having no competition in Italy and abroad. As an Italian soccer fan living abroad, I certainly don't appreciate seeing English, German or Spanish teams stronger than us. I still think the Serie A is tops in Europe but it could be stronger with more teams in the CL and more money in their accounts.

22. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Um, yeah. I'm perfectly happy with no competition, either in Italy or abroad, so long as Juventus reigns supreme.

Things are pretty damn good around here, in case you haven't noticed.

We've done nothing but benefit from the uselessness of the rest of Serie A. We're drowning in money from Europe, we've set a new club transfer record without blinking an eye, and we're now able to pay the kind of wages that allows us to compete for the signatures of the very best players against the most elite clubs.

We're in the CL final for the second time in three years, we're on the verge of winning the domestic double for a record third consecutive, and that's only come after setting a league points record and being the only club ever to have gone undefeated for an entire season.

Why would I, or any Juventus supporter, want things to change? And if the other Italian clubs aren't good enough to alter the status quo, why should they change?

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not me. I'm so sick and tired of hearing and reading about this EPL superiority or La Liga thinking they are the best in the world. Viva Italia! :thumbsup:

soji22 repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think as a 5th although I am uncertain if they have to play off. I'm sure we will see articles explain the scenario in the coming weeks.

25. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Juve's dominance has become more pronounced these last five years. It's as if Calciopoli never happened:) It won't be long before a mega-rich multinational corporation offers us an eye-watering sponsorship deal. It's nice to be respected again.