Coppa Italia reform, circa 2017.

Discussion in 'Italy' started by shizzle787, Dec 21, 2016.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Coppa Italia about to heat up, it's time we talk (again) abou the elephant in the room: the horrible format. The Coppa Italia is basically a Serie A league cup, aka pointless. I believe that in order for the tournament to mean something more, the big clubs should have to enter at least a round earlier. Also, I believe that the semifinal should be played over one leg. Why have an entire tournament over one leg and then have a two-leg semifinal round preceding another one-off round (the final). My format would be simple: it wouldn't even require the bigger clubs to play anymore matches.

The top ten Serie A sides from the previous season would get a bye to the Round of 32 where the draw would be unseeded. Five matches to win (for them). The other 22 spots would be determined over two qualifying rounds involving the remaining Serie A sides, Serie B, and a few Lega Pro and Serie D sides (just as now). It would lead to more shocks, more early big clashes, and I believe more interest in it as a whole.

2. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Have it sort of like the FA Cup. Include all Serie A, B, Lega Pro and D sides.

The bigger clubs can still have their byes. Teams playing in European competition really can't have the extra games anyways.

I've seen some countries make the fixtures with the worse team being the home team. That allows for more upsets to occur.

As far as the two legged semis go, it appears that's the most preferred format with other domestic cups. I guess it's to help ensure the best teams of the final four are playing in the finals.
    It depends what you're wanting tho with this. Do we want the best teams to almost always advance and have less upsets? Then make everything two legged (tho I'm not sure with scheduling this is even possible). You want some upsets? Play one legged matches at the home of the worse team.

3. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Scrap the entire tournament IMO. Or get all the teams from all but top 7 from Serie A to play until the last rounds. In those rounds hand out huge kitty's to underdog winners. Yes, get rid of the 2 legged events.

Basically take out the prestige and introduce a novelty or just dump it.

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't think you can just scrap the entire national cup. lol
    Copying fa cup format, as similar as possible would still be most interesting imo..