Copa Sudamericana 2007 (r)

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You know their kicking themselves right now for giving up that last minute goal in BA ;) :D

2. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    I don´t think Boca really cares. It gives them more chance to win the other 2 titles

3. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    D.C. United 2 - 1 Chivas

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Arsenal 1 (3) - (2) 1 Goiás

São Paulo 1 (2) - (2) 0 Boca Juniors

Vasco da Gama 3 (3) - (2) 0 Lanús

Arsenal, São Paulo & Vasco all advance.

5. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They wouldn't play both games with their A squad if they didn't care.
    Also, they want as many international trophies as they can to beat Milan in number of titles.

6. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Nobody at Boca will lose a night´s sleep over it. They would if it was CL

7. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sure sure.
    I won't say it's CL, but don't pretend nobody cared.

8. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    You should read what I say.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL Only Botafogo could manage a choke job like that. That team doesn't know what the meaning of a continental competition is. They blew a 2-1 lead and lost in the last minute, with one man more, 4-2. Botafogo thinking small once again..

10. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    River 4-2 Botafogo

aggregate 4-3 River

What a f'kin finish

Botafogo goes up 1-0 looks like all is finished.

River ties it before the half and Botafogo goes down a man.

River starts dominating but stupid Lussenhoff gets a red.

Botafogo takes the lead and all is lost. People walking out of la monumental and Passarela head is being chanted for.

River then goes down a man with another ejection.

Falcao comes out of nowhere and ties at two.

Then some fluky play and bam River is up 3-2

They still need one more goal and they are down a man with only 10 minutes left.

With only about 2 minutes left it looks lost when Botafogo has a breakaway. It looks like the River guy pushes the Botafogo from behind in the area, but nothing is called.

The River goalie runs to around the half line to play the ball in the area. The subsequent rebound goes to Ortega who crosses and Falcao f'kn heads the ball in for the 4-2. With only a minute left.

RIver survives

Passarela survies

And Falcao goes down in River history.

Wow

11. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Props to River for their heart... what a choke by Botafogo. What a game.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One had to think River was going to pull this out based on the hussle and desire to go for the win. I only saw the last 20 minutes of the match but when I saw they had lost two men to red cards I was even more amazed at thier will power. That folks has got to be one of the best wins in their history, hands down.

Ortega. I have always liked watching him play all the way back till his days in Serie A because I just always felt he'd make "that" play.

13. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The thing is, I see that happen every week in the Argentinian primera...
    Argentinians have the craziest willpower and heart, you combine that w/ skill and damn.

14. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm looking at the match thinking to myself how Brazilians pride themselves about the finesse and the "beauty" of the Brazilian style of play but at times that stuff has got to give way to hard-core determination and will to sweat it out to earn that win. I appreciate the beauty of the Brazilian style, but I doubly appreciate the "blue-collar", balls-to-the wall effort. IMHO, Botafogo were either tired or underestimated River. Whatever the case they should be ashamed of themselves to let River come back like that. If nothing else this should teach Botafogo to never never never quit.

15. ninner

ninner New Member

Nov 1, 2003
    well it was a classic football game...both teams played well and im going to watch the repeat again....hats of to river plate they deserved to win but go easy on botafogo..they have had a tough season...losing Dodo to suspension and injury for a while...he is playing now....and then losing Lima...who was having a great season for Botafogo...if Lima was playing River wouldnt have touched Botafogo...it was a great game that had all the drama u would expect.

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With that statement you are making it seem as if River won because of Botafogo's poor performance. In reality (or atleast in my opinion), River played a fantastic game after Falcao's 2-2 goal and was pure heart. They fought every ball and did not stop attacking.

I think it's more props to River than a demerit of the Brazilians.

Here we go with the "if" game. Well, if you can say that, then I can say that "if" River had the injured Alexis Sanchez (our best player lately) and Mauro Rosales, we would have score 8 instead of 4. :rolleyes: :D

- Locoxriver

17. ninner

ninner New Member

Nov 1, 2003
    point taken....i still think Sao Paulo will win this thing...they have a tremendous team!!!

18. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no doubt the game was won because of the heart and fighting spirit of the River players, that's the main headline. But when a team is up a man with a match as such on the line, Botafogo didn't manage the game wisely. The better team, like cream, rose to the top. Does this rank as one of River's best wins?

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hmm, I don't know.. It definitely doesn't have the importance as it would have if it were in the Copa Libertadores, but it definitely was one of the games that I've celebrated the most in a while.. If we would have won 2-0, it wouldn't be nearly as thrilling due to not flipping a very complicated game that need 3 more goals with just 9 men.

I wouldn't be sure how to rank it based on it's importance, but I do know it was a more than exciting game..

Aguante River!

20. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Botafogo is a team that plays nice football, but they are the biggest chokers of Brazil.
    It was bound to happen.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dissagree. Boca cares. Boca wants to win everything that they play. And especially they will go all out against a top Brazilian team like Sao Paulo. It's not the same as Libertadores, but it's still a bitter thing for Boca fans to lose this series the way we did.

But...we'll be back!

22. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This game reminded me of Liverpool's comeback versus Milan... I know it's not the same and that was a CL final but still, I think it's awesome to see a team win a game w/ all heart which is what River and Liverpool did.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lima isn't that good ninner..just wait and see what he does in the German league.

24. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  25. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    One more thing about yesterdays match on FSE. Is there ANY DOUBT that EVERY MATCH should be narrated by the Argentinian announcers and NOT the Fox Mexican announcers... The guys make EVERY match count! Kudos to them as I felt I was at that stadium!