Copa Libertadores rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by doublephantasy, Jan 26, 2016.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be interesting to see those Nrtworks go for the rights but I doubt they have any interest.
    Univision would have some problems here and there on match days that conflict with the CONCACAF Champions League.

Telemundo just seems to be focused on the sprinkling of Mexican League matches, English premiere League, Olympics and World Cup.

2. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going on memory here, but I think the rights go until 2018, but could be suspended before because these rights are central to the so-called FIFA scandal. Copa Libertadores rights have been an obsession of Paco Casal, and he claims that he outbid Fox but that rights were awarded to them anyway (through intermediaries involved in said FIFA scandal), so GolTV would be a possibility. But it's wrong to criticize Fox now since this is the first year that they're actually doing it right. Plus I heard rumors that late round games may make FS1/FS2 in English.

3. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Not sure they are doing it right today. Of the 4 games tonight they are only showing the one that is completely over as a home and away. I get it, Mexican team, blah blah, and Champions League repeat will probably still outperform any of the other three games ratings wise.
    It's just shitty that at the business end of the tournament, it doesn't get more respect/exposure.

MetroChile repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think doniloni means that those matches are available on fox soccer plus and Fox Soccer2 Go this year when in previous years they were not.

5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get the Champions League repeat in the age of the DVR, but they had been showing the games live up to now, and the games are available on FS Plus and FS2GO, which hadn't been the case in the past.

6. kalin21

kalin21 Member

May 26, 2009
    TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yea I hate fox deportes coverage they allways do mexican team matches live and the rest delayed because of champions league replays

7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    This last matchday was especially bad on Fox's part. It's one thing to show a delayed CL match that couldn't air live because Deportes was showing another match but to repeat a game for a second time and when we have to assume that 95+% of subscribers have DVRs, that's just ridiculous. Luckily FS+ is in play now for more games which meant only 1 game on delay, but still that game should have been shown live, unedited.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And unfortunately FS+ is not a reasonably accessible channel at $15/month.

9. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    The first leg matches for the semi-finals are showing up on FS2. Hopefully we'll get decent announcers, although I can't think of any English analysts working for Fox that seem to know anything about South American football beyond Messi and Neymar.

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow.
    I could get to see Atletico Nacional in English? That would be pretty cool!:thumbsup:
    (Sorry for spoiling things but if you did not know they were one of the Semifinalists. tough cookies.)

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Fenando Fiore has to be involved in this in some way, shape or form. Would not mind him being the Pre/half/post game host instead of Rob Stone.

12. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Wednesday -
    8:45pm ET São Paulo (BRA) v Atlético Nacional (COL)

Glenn Davis & Eric Wynalda on FoxSports-2

Thursday -
    8:45pm ET Independiente del Valle (ECU) v Boca Juniors (ARG)

Keith Costigan & Cobi Jones on FoxSports-2

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I have to say that I've been impressed by Costigan's work on the Bundesliga. He's the only announcer who seems to do some research prior to the games and to pay attention to the league as a whole. Hopefully that will translate into his work on this match. The others will likely be average at best. Hopefully we get South American commentary on Fox Deportes but I expect they'll use the guys in LA.