Copa Libertadores 2017

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by SiempreCrema, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Me pregunto si los rioplatenses habrîan tenido la cortesía que El Nacional de Quito en caso de que esa misma situación se hubiese dado en Buenos Aires o Montevideo.

2. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  3. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Well, at least I can now successfully tell my kids that I managed to stick around in the stadium for 85 minutes before leaving.

I've seen some bad Universitario teams, 2015 is the prime example but that team never performed as bad as the one today.

4. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Fuk this shit

5. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I watched a little last night the match Universitario - Capiata. It was 0-2 in that time. But it was so late, I could not follow entire match. Los Escoberos tenia un gran partido.:)

6. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    pff... as if Chile had the ass clean in terms of sportmanship and match suspensions. Remember condor Rojas?

7. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The difference is that Chile became punished severely, FIFA awarded Brazil with 2-0. Chile was eliminated from the World Cup 1990, also banned from the World Cup 1994. Rojas was also banned for life with their coach Orlando Aravena and the medical figure Daniel Rodriguez. Fernando Astengo was also banned for 5 years.
    In Europe teams get 2,3 points less for incidents: violence between the fans. This punishment was very harsh, especially if we consider the Chilean shape in France 1998. Imagine what could they do in USA 1994.
    In football, there are a lot of cases where players simulate their injuries and nobody became punished. In those times, football was still based on firm conservative postulates, I remember reporters who said that the footballers are the knights, football is a noble skill. Similar act today would mean 3 matches of suspension and maybe some financial fee.

8. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not ucking way if I am the manager, my 11 player on the field in time and 45 minutes later I want my 3 points.
    The ecuadorian team never get to the field, so just is really late?

9. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Tercera fase

[​IMG]

MetroChile repped this.
  10. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It is unclear what team is more pathetic, Botafogo or Olimpia. Ugly 90 minutes of football last night.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Capaita really impressed me with their areal prowess. Like many of the good Paraguayan teams past they really do know what to do when the ball is crossed in the area.

If they play for a 0-0 in Paraguay next leg they should advance.

12. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    As I mentioned I was at the monumental for Universitario vs Capiata and yeah they were completely dominant in the air. Very good aerial team and it could end up being an important factor for them to reach the groups.

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #64 Century's Best, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Atlético Paranaense with a heroic 1-0 win in Paraguay, eliminating Deportivo Capiatá. The team from Curitiba will now join San Lorenzo, Universidad Católica, and fellow Brazilian Flamengo (which also has a red & black striped kit).

EDIT: Botafogo likewise reaches the group stage by defeating Olimpia in Paraguay (by 3-1 on PKs; Gatito Fernandez, a Paraguayan goalkeeper, clutches for Botafogo).

EIGHT Brazilian teams in the 2017 Libertadores.

15. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Beating Capiata is heroic? :confused:

locoxriver repped this.
  16. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Great saves by Gatito, especially second one.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Would you have thought any differently if everything had been the same except that rather than Atl.-PR, it'd been your team last night?

18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Considering my team played Capiata and won 3-1 in Asuncion, its hardly heroic.

I said it on Twitter but Paranaense while not a great team are better individually than Capiata. They don't have the mentality issues that Universitario have and were heavy favourites in my eyes.

Capiata in continental competitions have also been pretty poor at home. First losing to Boca, then to us and now ATP.

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    If eliminating Capiatá on its ground after allowing a 3-3 draw on home ground isn't heroic - given that all Capiatá needed was a simple result like a 0-0 draw or a 1-0 win - then I can only conclude you're being salty and are minimizing Atlético Paranaense's efforts because it succeeded where Universitario failed; Universitario could have likewise easily qualified with a simple 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 or even a 0-1 defeat by virtue of its 1-3 away win, but it lost badly.

Being individually better does not always translate into better team performances.

21. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Its not heroic because Capiata have won 2 out of 6 home games in continental competitions. I thought it was fairly obvious ATP were going to win, more talent and overall a better mentality than La U. Capiata are a team with spirit but talent wise they aren't very good.

22. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Crazy game in Tucuman, home team almost lost got knocked out after 3-0 in first 30 minutes.

23. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Tucuman should have won the game 6-0 but somehow almost lost the series in the final 5 minutes... anyway, great achievement for a small club.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Surprised at how decent this Guarani side is looking. They managed to beat Iquique away with goal of the "Mago" Novick, and a lot of defending. Five yellows is a bit much too.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Qué miserable el Manya, hoy.