Copa Libertadores 2017

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by SiempreCrema, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All Copa games..

Chapecoense, Guarani (2015 match, not this year's), and Sao Paulo

Kaney and gringolimon repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For the record, this guy also has a controversial record with the Argentine NT. We all know Chileans arent too fond of Argentines, and after a WCQ game Messi once directly said that this specific ref wouldn't allow Argentina to play with his calls. Not saying that he's going to screw us over, but if anything River should be the one worried about the ref assignation, not Wilstermann. Here's hoping for a clean match

Kaney and gringolimon repped this.
  3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    hang on...there are players playing in Argentina first division with Peruvian heritage?

can you name them? Ill pass that list along to FPF, maybe we can use some of them in the future :thumbsup:

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    ummm how is Romero (one example) not from European descendants? The surname Romero is of Spanish origin

you do realise Spain is in Europe right?

Kaney and calixtoj repped this.
  5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Santos won't be Brazil's first four-time Libertadores winner - at least not this year. Levir Culpi with a conservative deployment of two defending midfielders, plus Lucas Lima's absence, and Barcelona of Guayaquil with a 1-0 win to advance to the semifinals. Santos' fate could have easily been different if Lima and Renato & Victor Ferraz, all starters, had been available. Oh well.

Barcelona turning into a terror for Brazilians. It beat Botafogo and now eliminated both Palmeiras and Santos.

Botafogo's storybook run in this Libertadores - eliminating Colo Colo and Olimpia to reach the group stage and then victories over Estudiantes, Atl.-Nacional, and two round of 16 wins against Nacional - is over. But Botafogo lost by only 1-0 and should be proud of itself. With more than 10 rounds to go in the Campeonato Brasileiro, it'd be great if Botafogo returned in 2018 with an even better team.

Grêmio did not play too well in the first half, but its performance drastically improved once Lucas Barrio scored. I viewed Grêmio as a team that would definitely win a major title in 2017; the Copa do Brasil is out of reach now, but Grêmio is 2nd in Brazil's league and is now in the Libertadores final four. Grêmio best watch out against Barcelona, but I do wonder if the Ecuadorian team's 2 red-carded players - Gabriel Marques and Jonathan Alvez - will be sorely missed when Grêmio faces Barcelona.

If Jorge Wilstermann holds its own tomorrow, we'll have a truly international Libertadores semifinal - Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Argentina. But the matches must be played first.

cabezamagica repped this.
  6. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I dont care for all this noise,all I know is my Barcelona won ,next up Gremio.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There was like maybe 7 mins of running game in the last 30 mins of the Santos match. Libertadores is probably the single most frustrating sports competition to watch.

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    but in a good way right? ;)

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unfortunately no. The time wasting in Libertadores games is on a level of its own. Also funny to see the ref today had to literally physically push red carded players off the field.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    True. Having said that, Barcelona has demonstrated good soccer in this tournament. If they reach the final, they'd have a realistic chance of winning it all. But Grêmio is in the way and credit to Grêmio for making it this far. I still believe that Grêmio has an excellent chance to win either the Campeonato Brasileiro or the Copa Libertadores.

Two more matches tonight. :thumbsup:

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not really singling out Barcelona. Just in general it happens all the time. Brazilian teams do the same thing.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think you are right. The only problem here is that this guy seems like a really bad referee. Both teams will likely be anxious already and with these sudden changes things will be tense, tense. Knowing Argentinian barra bravas I'm sure both team's players have gotten plenty of threats. Must see TV but also might be a really crap game.

locoxriver repped this.
  13. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not just players but fans as well unfortunately...
    910815245576425474 is not a valid tweet id

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For me, this is like a dream. It immediately takes me back to 1981 when Wilstermann was the greatest Bolivian team and we had Jairzinho and Gaston Taborga (who is from my school, San Agustin). That was the last time Wilstermann ever made it so far in Copa Libertadores. That's also the team in my avatar.

gringolimon repped this.
  15. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thank God there won't be a huge break between now and the semifinals like it was when the last Bolivian club made it to the semis. But I'm getting ahead of myself. First things, first: tonight. Good luck to your club; I know they're gonna come through!

deejay repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #266 deejay, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Thanks. I hate to say this because this can come back to bite you but right now it's Wilster's golden chance and they really have it right in their hand. I don't say this out of fanatismo but just analysis of their games. River need three goals and Wilstermann is prepared to pack the box and contest all shots. In their game against Atl Mineiro they gave up the ball but they also contested every shot. There were no clear opportunities for the Brazilians. I think asking for three goals from River Plate is a lot. Even an early goal will not be enough for them. Zenteno and Silva are at their best when playing near the goal and not needing to run. Olivares is clearly class. In general, the team is experienced and will not get nervous. Edit: Also, just finding out that River are down their two top goal scorers.

That said..... River has a lot of quality and and a red card or an injury or two early goals will do the trick. That can happen. So it's not impossible for them.

17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really the key factor is if Wilstermann scores an early goal... one away goal, and River will have to score 5... two goals, and River needs 6.

With River being so desperate to score, it wouldn't be at all surprising for random openings to occur for the Bolivians. With Maidana and Pinola being slow as we saw in the first leg, Wilstermann could end up having several opportunities on the counter to sentence the game.

18. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I happen to agree with this only that I would say 30mins rather than 20mins.

That being said, if Wilstermann scores at any given point in the game, then forget the above... the game is pretty much over.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That Bolivian yank dude must've never seen the River-Botafogo match in the 2007 Copa Sudamericana. :whistling:

20. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What would be your cutoff? The more I think about, I change my 30mins to 0-0 at the half.

21. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How about 2-0 at 13'...?

That was fast...

Kaney repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wilstermann is getting punked in El Monumental. This smells like goleada.

Kaney repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Increible!!! River es lo mas grande que hay papa

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The locals are pressing, and Jorge Wilstermann did not withstand. It reminds me a bit of of the return leg of the River Plate-Cruzeiro matchup in 2014.

Wilstermann is already down 3-0. This alone guarantees PKs. River can't keep pressing at this intensity until halftime, but it may not need to now.

Let's see if Wilstermann can stabilize the match.

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

:ROFLMAO:

RiverGaucho and locoxriver repped this.