Copa Libertadores 2017

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by SiempreCrema, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The last time Argentina won a trophy, all of european origin:

copa-america-1991.jpg

Now the only European descended players are Messi, Dybala, Fazio, Mascherano, and Icardi... the other six who played against Venezuela, well...

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So a racist. Yup. Only suspected it but totally confirmed now.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's good and fine to have pride in one's heritage, history, and cultural traditions. This applies to Old World nations in Europe and Asia as well as to offshoot countries which were once colonies. I'm aware there are descendants of Europeans in your country. There are people whose blood can be traced back to Europe in Brazil as well as in Mexico for example.

The point I was trying to make was that you made a cruel and harsh statement only because of a soccer game's score. That there are Bolivian immigrants in your country who live in very unpleasant conditions does not mean Bolivians in Bolivia all live that way. You used the shantytown comment to be mean and cruel because River Plate lost a soccer game.

You used something totally unrelated to soccer in writing a post about soccer - and you were deliberately hurtful.

Sure, there are Anglo-Argentines... and on a one-on-one basis, I'm sure Englishmen, Scots, Irishmen, and Welsh would find something in common with them. But for the Brits in Britain, many of them see you Argentines and us Brazilians and essentially all of South America as a mass of faraway aliens.

Of course, the truth isn't always that simple. There's much diversity from one South American country to the next and within each - there are Indio-looking Argentines in the extreme north as there are people we call more "pardo" in our northeast. In Curitiba and in Porto Alegre and in the nearby rural areas, you'll see far more white people. But do you think the average Brit would know that? Having British blood or not... you're Argentine, dude.

Until one cares to learn the finer details such as I just wrote, truth is what one thinks it is... perception becomes reality.

Seems to me that you've bought into the "white identity" stuff that has been happening here with people like Richard Spencer, Jared Taylor, etc. If you're concerned about illegal immigration in Argentina, then do something about it. Petition your politicians, or run for office, or start a party, etc. But attacking a poster with the things you said because of a freaking soccer game is idiotic.

If non-Argentines were to mock you because Great Britain won the Falklands War in the aftermath of an Argentina vs. England game, you'd probably be offended, given that this war and the history of those islands are a sensitive issue for your country. I could be wrong but your British blood probably wouldn't matter much if you were to hear such stupid comments.

If Jorge Wilstermann eliminates your team next week, it's just part of the game. I do hope for a result that is fair - proper refereeing, etc. Soccer is a game, bro. A game millions are very passionate about (my national team won 5 World Cups and we very much want the Sexta), but at the end of the day... a game.

"Shantytown" because of a sporting result. Sad.

HeartandSoul, chaski and Kaney repped this.
  4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #229 Century's Best, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Diego Maradona is partially descended from original tribes who lived in your country before the Spaniards arrived. Does him not being fully white/European lessen his importance in the history of soccer, both in your league and internationally?

Carlos Tevez contributed to your country winning Olympic gold, and he's part black or native - he is not "Aryan" by any measure. Does this DNA lessen Tevez's history as a soccer player?

Juan Roman Riquelme likewise has been a pivotal figure in the more recent history of your country's soccer, but like Tevez he has Indian/native blood, as he's definitely not white by the standards of Europe that you mention. Does this lessen Riquelme's success?

There are other players in history who were partially black and/or native. They became big names in your league. Their blood and race have nothing to do with how meaningful their careers were.

Neymadres and Kaney repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is just my opinion but if you want a country and national team made solely of Europeans then you should just have stayed in Europe.

6. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Some of Europe's best teams have or have had players of non-European origin...

7. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Argentina's demise totally has to do with Peruvians moving over to Argentina. Lets just forget about infrastructure in Argentina compared to Peru or the fact that we are fighting to get to a world cup and Argentina will have to avoid defeat to us to remain in the race... yeah makes a ton of sense to me.

calixtoj and Kaney repped this.
  8. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    @RiverGaucho

I have no idea what you're on about mate. You're a great poster but way too bitter when River loses. Let me remind you that we've had some quality Argentinians play for La Blanquiroja. Quiroga being the best example, not the other way around. Second, I don't have a clue what Argentinians on the national team or abroad are Peruvian. Horacio Benincasa is an example but he's just 1.

calixtoj repped this.
  9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #234 Century's Best, Sep 15, 2017
    I'll say this.

If a person born and raised in South America - a continent with millions of nonwhites (blacks, descendants of Indians, and people who are mixed) - is going to go on a racist tirade when his team loses to a team from Bolivia, then that person has no business watching soccer.

The overwhelming majority of CONMEBOL clubs participating in either the Libertadores or the Sul-Americana every year has nonwhite players. That is just a demographic reality of South America; it's always been this way and it will never change.

That poster's team has been defeated by Bolivian teams as well as by Brazilian and Colombian teams with blacks, mulattoes, and partially Indian players in the past. More recently, his national team couldn't defeat a nearly all-nonwhite Venezuelan team at home in a World Cup qualifying match (1-1) which the Venezuelans started off winning. It was basically an "all-European" team that couldn't win against VENEZUELA.

Earlier versions of this so-called "all-white European team" lost to a racially diverse Brazil 1-3 in 2009 and to a nearly all-black Colombian team 0-5 in 1993 - at home, I might add.

I'll be blunt. No one is obligated to like, to be friends with, to socialize, or to marry with people from different cultures/tribes/races than one's own. We all have the freedom of choice. I simply think it rather unintelligent, immature, and ignorant to mix in racism with something so ultimately secondary in importance as soccer. If one has issues with internal problems in one's country (and I am a firm believer in strict immigration management and control, visas, paying taxes and fees, obeying laws, etc), that's fair and understandable. Every country's laws must be respected by visiting or migrating foreigners. But that has nothing to do with what was a fair and impressive victory by Jorge Wilstermann against River Plate.

HeartandSoul and Kaney repped this.
  10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    First we read this...

Then we read this...

Um... yeah.

calixtoj, Centauro del Norte and Kaney repped this.
  11. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I've been meeting a lot of Venezuelans in Lima lately, I guess we're just going to keep getting worse as a football nation :rolleyes:

Kaney and deejay repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We have a lot of Croatians in Bolivia. They arrived a little after WW2. They've been great for the country IMO. Businessmen, scientists, artists, basketball, volleyball. A lot of influence really. Yet, I can't really think of one that was really any good in football.

In contrast we've had at least a couple of really good Japanese players.

Anyhoo, race has meant diddly squat in football. Sad that this was brought up.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    HIs silence means to me that he's either embarrassed to show his face or that moderators may have at least temporarily blocked him from accessing this thread.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
  15. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    That is what I was doing when you posted this..

RiverGaucho has now been warned not to post more of his racist crap.

HeartandSoul, calixtoj and Kaney repped this.
  16. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #241 gringolimon, Sep 15, 2017
    I'm glad this "argument" didn't work for you this time, because your true colors were revealed... eventually people like you are revealed, but not so often when it's not in person and especially when talking about sports... but your hatred came out as it no longer could hold it in; it was finally as apparent as you being such a sore loser.

I don't care if I get a warning when I say this, but Damn hijo... que Dios te bendiga.

Kaney repped this.
  17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My posts were out of line and for that I'm sorry. It was just complete idiocy on my part.

As for the Argentina-Peru match, I sincerely hope that Peru wins in La Bombonera.

I also love Peruvian food. Aji de Gallina is one of my favorite dishes in the world. I love Peru as a country, Machu Pichu was breathtaking.

deejay repped this.
  18. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The counterargument you gave was way more enlightening and more important than eliminating posts.

chaski repped this.
  19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    No need to be like that Cusqueño who doesn't want Peru to qualify for the WC.

At least you know your dishes well. Aji de Gallina is class ;)

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Calling this out right now as untrue.

You would never root against your own team. I would never root against Brazil, all the more in a crucial WCQ match on home ground.

You're either lying or you have no pride. I bet it's the former.

calixtoj repped this.
  21. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Lol, holy shit.

Rooting really hard for Wilstermann now. If it causes that kind of meltdown, it's totally worth it.

deejay repped this.
  22. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    I am ruling for J WIlsterman because of R Olivares, their GK. He is chilean. Bielsa called him up for the national team a couple of times.

23. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There was so much edit on this post in order to make this just about sports... but if I still deserve a yellow card, then I will gladly accept it.

Good news @RiverGaucho , Conmebol is here to 'save' your day (or your life more like it... seesh, relax seriously... you'll live longer)... but I know you won't "congratulate" the carrier of this news because you know (he's Paraguayan), but atleast it's buena noticias, no?

That being said, whether it's true or not, hinchas de Wilstermann don't give a sh$t what the news says and us, Bolivianos (both at home and abroad and I apologize [not really] if it's in your home), agree as well...

All I care to say is to paraphrase what you said and that's...

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The replacement ref has reffed River on three occasions, and River didn't win any of those games. Explain to me how it is to our benefit to have a ref with which we have a literal 0% victory rate :confused:

25. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I personally think there won't be any "fixing" but you never know these days. In those 3 games, who were River's opponent?