Copa Libertadores 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by locoxriver, Dec 7, 2015.

1. erdosain

erdosain Member

Jun 30, 2005
    You realize that Bolivar made the Copa Libertadores semis 2 years ago right?

They just spanked Cali 5-0, by the way.

2. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Sorry, but Bolivar only made it to the semis because of Azkargorta.

They spanked a very poor Cali side 3000 metres above sea level. I don't see it as much as an accomplishment.

The strongest is better than any team in Peru or Venezuela, but otherwise I'd argue that Universitario and Cristal are better than Bolivar.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Deportivo Cali is not very Poor. They just played very poorly yesterday.

4. erdosain

erdosain Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Not trolling - just curious and too lazy to look it up myself- when was the last time a Peruvian team made it past or even in to the quarterfinals in a Copa Libertadores? I was under the impression, perhaps mistakingly, that Peruvian teams had been performed pretty horribly in continental competition for the last 10 years or so.

As for whether Bolivar is worse than Cristal or Universitario - I'll take your word for it. I never see those teams play outside of sudamericana/Libertadores so I have no way of ascertaining whether that's true.
    What I do know is that that team has made the Libertadores semis and the sudamericana finals in the last 10 years.

5. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Real Garcilaso made the quarter finals in 2013, and that was because of the altitude as well. That Garcilaso side wasn't even good and they were shown up against Santa Fe in the quarters and shown up again the following year when they played in Huancayo instead of Cusco in 2014.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This.

While Cali may have underperformed, Bolivar came out ready to kill. They had A LOT to prove to the doubters in Bolivia and in el exterior. The players rallied behind their rcoach and themselves because of how bad things have gotten.

Cardozo, the LCB is a U20 player for Argentina and on loan from Velez. Had an amazing performance. Putting in Arce from the start showed that he needed to be there over the new 'flavor' of the week for Bolivar, Argentine (ex NY Cosmos) Cellerino. He instantly brought control, trickery and swagger along with holding/passing that was much needed comcpared to the other Argentine. He seems to work better too with Borghello, who really, still not living up to his salary. Came off too at the 70th I want to say? Only had an assist in a night goals...kinda sad.

Beyond that, our midfield with Callejon and Ruddy Cardozo were on fire. They played more up the field and pressed/had great combinations. But the star for me was Capdevila who at 35, does not run or play his age. His experience, control, touch movement to drive Cali crazy on the left side was vintage stuff from 2014. His combo play too with Callejon led to many dangerous chances. His assist and goal made him for me, man of the match.

This bolivar looks to be finally heating up, but to say that their performance was just due to a bad opponent or altitude is BS. They came in there with the mentality and 'experience' as a good amount are from the 2014 team that amde the semi's. That paid off. Cali too, never could put it quite together.

Azkargorta is a good coach, motivator, he did what he had to do to get where he got them in 2014. He's gone now though. He had a self-destruction moment shortly after that great run and his time was up. Anyone see his Oriente Petrolero get destroyed in the this Copa too? He's coaching them. It's not just the coach...

Edit: And Peruvian teams have SERIOUS talent...but as of late, they haven't been able to put it together.

And if you're trying to compare Strongest to Bolivar, Bolivar dominated a top club in Colombia while Strongest were lucky to not tie at home in La Paz with a club from Venezuela just 2 days ago, winning 2-1.

7. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    These are the points Bolivar got in AWAY games in the last 5 years in Copa Libertadores:

Copa Libertadores 2011
    Union Española (CHI) 0 - 0 Bolivar

Copa Libertadores 2012
    Junior (COL) 0 - 1 Bolivar
    Universidad Catolica (CHI) 1 - 1 Bolivar

Copa Libertadores 2014
    Flamengo (BRA) 2 - 2 Bolivar
    Leon (MEX) 0 - 1 Bolivar
    Leon (MEX) 1 - 1 Bolivar (Octavos)
    Lanus (ARG) 1 - 1 Bolivar (Cuartos)

I know we're not South American giants, but I think we earned respect not only based in our games played in La Paz.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Venezuelan teams lack the talent, Peruvian teams lack the coaching. Watching the Copa Movistar is like watching something out of the 70s, from tactics to production values. The Liga Boliviana is doing better out of the three.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Another match , another domination by Atletico Nacional.

This team is playing the best ball. But they are not converting many of their chances so a good defensive team can stop them and surprise them. But until that point they are the best in this tournament my eyes.

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Cristal held off Huracan

Looked like they were going to do 2015 all over again

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Isn't it tradition for one of the Peruvian teams to end with zero points? I think Melgar's it this time.

Huracan is missing Toranzo, shame he had to lose some toes in Venezuela.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    ¡Qué malo es Cobresal! Se pierden goles hechos.

13. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No me quiero cruzar a At. Nacional si Racing clasifica a octavos.

Si a Bolivar se le puede sacar un solo punto en La Paz creo que se verá mañana, pero espero llegar sin urgencias a la 6ta fecha...

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They were irregular in 2014, and yet in the final group stage game at Newell's Old Boys, Atlético Nacional won 1-3. They would have given San Lorenzo a greater challenge in the final than Defensor Sporting.

Atlético Nacional is definitely looking solid.

15. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The way things are going with At. Nacional, Racing would have to be one of the worst seconds to face them in octavos. I don't think that's going to happen

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Unless Deportivo Cali wakes up and puts a wrench in that Group with some surprise points here and there.

17. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The thing about this group is that almost everybody has Bolivar with their 9 pts at home guaranteed.

But who knows, maybe tonight Boca escapes with one or perhaps even 3 (unlikely).

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Last year aurich made 6 points (and surprisingly never lost to river)

Cristal made 7 and only have themselves to blame for not leaving guarani in the group stage

Suyuntuy repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This Liga-Toluca is a very good game. Tactical _and_ fun.

Adrian559 repped this.
  20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What a gut wrenching last minute goal by Boca to Bolivar. with 4 mins of over time....94th minute...they get a good FK opportunity..and they make it. You can't make that up. Insane.

Bolivar made misteps with tactics and their forward Borghello was crap. Ferriera came in, isn't ready yet after long time away from Injury, and Cellerino too, not up for playing against the level of Boca.

Insua too, tried to play too defensive too fast which gave Boca pure possession and made us bunker down to hold the 1-0 lead when our guys started gassing.

Schelotto on the other hand, wase genius in his approach. His guys played at half speed in first half to save energy with a supposedly not in the best shape side, to then explode in the second half and pressure us after we tried to go all out in the first half.

It worked because he got the much needed tie in La Paz. Props to los hermanos Schelotto.

And how about the goals too?? My god. I am hoping for Bolivar's sake, Saavedra gets attention outside of bolivia for him. He's a gem and is only 19 years old.

21. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Va al medio esa bocha, se lo come el arquero...

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That result helps keep Deportivo Cali's dream of advancing alive. Depending on if they beat Racing at home they could be equal on points with Racing and Bolivar.
    Of course they can lose and basically be out of it.

23. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Deportivo Cali definitely felt the altitude being a team from el llano.
    They are more than obligated to beat Racing to keep up the race

24. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i've lost all hope in Cali honestly, that performance in Bolivia was absolutely embarrassing. They are just so inconsistent you have no idea what team will appear, a shame because they have a lot of top class young players there. I think they'll lose to Racing at home honestly.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Atlético Nacional sigue imparable.