Copa Libertadores 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by locoxriver, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    IDV can play for a draw and then take the match on penalties...

2. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Had Nacional kept attacking instead of going all out defense they probably would have won this. A bit of a shame but really not a bad score either.

I'm pretty sure Nacional will be fine in Medellin.

3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muy mal bocanegra ...

4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For the goal? He was pretty good the whole game though

5. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think IDV has one more Upset left in the tank. In other words, IDV is gonna WIN!

6. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It would be a shame for a team that defeated River, Pumas, and Boca to not lift the trophy! Come on IDV!! All we have to do is beat Nacional 1 - 0.. I know it sounds easier said than done.. but anything is Possible!! IDV has already proved it

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Doogs repped this.
  8. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Well, there's a first time for everything.. if you know what I mean.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nacional has played better than all those teams and has been the best team in this tournament since February.
    It would be a shame if they lose to a hot one year wonder team at home when they have dominated this whole competition and have found ways to win in every knockout phase against good teams.
    Good luck next Wednesday.

Doogs repped this.
  10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    My heart says Independiente del Valle, but my head says Atlético Nacional. The former winning it all would be a storybook tale come true - a very humble team ousting teams like Boca Juniors on their own turfs and then conquering the continent over the best-performing team of the Copa. And I'd like to see it. But Atlético Nacional seems "destined" to win it.

Having said that, who knows what will happen in Colombia?

fafaco repped this.
  11. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Fairytales always have good endings.. I have faith IDV will continue the Dream.. All of Ecuador deserves this..

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A Colombian team last won it all in 2004 (Once Caldas); an Ecuadorian team last won it all in 2008 (LDU Quito). Shouldn't it be Colombia's turn now? ;)

Just kidding. In any case, let's hope for a historic final game (with excellent soccer, good sportsmanship, and a just result).

13. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    After the Earthquake hit, I think Ecuador deserves this title more than anybody at the moment..

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So syria deserved The World cup ... All people in The World no matter their citizenship have their own tragedies

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    He's obviously very partial and quite emotional as per his previous posts, but I think he wants IDV to win because it'd be an achievement for Ecuadorian soccer as a whole. With this I can very much see why he wants IDV to be the champion.

16. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If Syria made it to the final.. then yes.. yes they would deserve it.. However, Syria didn't play the whole cup with their Tragedy in mind, like IDV did.. Has Syria even qualified for a World Cup?

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #967 HomietheClown, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    If IDV can keep their defensive shape and stay disciplined mentally they have a chance.
    The thing about this Atletico Nacional team though is that many of their skillful wingers and forwards force the issue and get into the heads of their opponents. This causes opposing defenders to lose their cool and get red cards and penalties.

I can see that happening on Wednesday too. Nacional is just way too quick and technical.

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Speaking objectively... as exciting a team as Independiente del Valle is (it did engulf and overrun Boca Juniors), in terms of overall play, Atlético Nacional is overall more consistent. It only lost 1 match (against a very strong Rosario Central in Argentina), and it will have home advantage as an extra factor in its favor come next week.

As "romantic" as it'd be to see Independiente del Valle in an eventual FIFA Club World Cup final vs. Real Madrid, right now, I'd say that Atlético Nacional would have a better chance of winning such a match. But, the matches must be played first. Next week will be epic.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No one had beaten Boca in both legs of a Libertadores since the Santos of Pelé did it in 1963, winning both legs of the final. And that had been the only time, in the long history of the competition, Boca couldn't even tie in the Bombonera during a home/away Libertadores series.

Big accomplishment for IDV.

unclesox and Century's Best repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In the grand scheme of things and historical context it is quite an accomplishment.
    That said, looking at it from the 2016 perspective Boca was unable to beat Racing and Nacional de Montevideo at home and looked shaky.
    IDV was able to find a way to make them pay.

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    True. But at least in 2013, Boca was majorly helped by a Carlos Amarilla who robbed Corinthians blind (and this from a SPFC supporter; SPFC and Corinthians have a huge rivalry in Brazil). Had the right calls been made, it would've been Corinthians vs. Newell's in that year's quarterfinals.

In any case, Boca had a great run in the 2000s, but it appears that with Riquelme retired, Tevez in his twilight years, Carlos Bianchi no longer the active and successful manager he once was, that Boca's run has come to an end. It doesn't mean Boca won't be a contender, but it does mean that Boca is just another mortal and plainly beatable team. A disciplined, athletic, and confident - not to mention talented - team from Ecuador (whom NOBODY can honestly say was viewed as a serious Copa title contender) has made that brutally clear.

pepinointer repped this.
  22. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I can't wait for Wednesday.. I'm too nervous! Nacional is going to be hard to beat.. pero si jugamos con Garra, Huevos, y Corazon le podemos ganar a los Verdolagas.. VAMOS IDV SI SE PUEDE!

23. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    VAMOS IDV! HOY GANAMOS! Solo hay que tener fe.. y todo es posible

24. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    VAMOS IDV CHUCHA!