Copa Libertadores 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by locoxriver, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tanto va el cántaro...

2.0, Diego Morales, golazo. Se llevó a toda la defensa.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Atletico Nacional really flexed their muscles today against Huracan. The score was not really indicative of the domination they had out there. They could have scored 10 goals if they just were more efficient with their chances.

Hands down the favorites to win in my book, but of course it is still way too early.

3. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    pepinointer, chaski, Suyuntuy and 2 others repped this.
  4. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This version of Bolivar is a defensive disaster.

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Insua (DT Bolívar) has a Dave Mustaine/Van Halen look going on...

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep.

You saw flashes of it in the league, but in a team like Racing wtih their ability--they really did them in.

What else hurt Bolivar? They signed a Uruguayan defender ONLY for the Copa, Insua then starts him in our defensive line of 3 as the middle CB. Probably because that's why he was signed....but he was a disaster! At fault for the first goal with his weak marking, and with our defense already being bad from league play, and the line of 3 NOT WORKING in Bolivia...I have no idea why he decided to go for it in the copa against better opposition????

That guy was so bad, Insua pulled him at the half. Cardozo, U20 Argentine Defender on loan came on and played better, but Cabrera was thrown to the middle who also is not 100%, just coming back from injury, and you could see him stretching his groin throughout the first half.

Our defense sucks, Insua deciding to go with a line of 3 makes it shittier, and our two 'signings' that were 'big money' up front were horrible. Borghello at 33 looked like he was 40. Couldn't run, couldn't beat a man wiht speed if his life depended on it and shanked a clear chance at goal that could have got us some momentum back. He frankly, shouldn't even be playing and relegated to the bench. I fear how much they spent on him because he came from Huracan. I rather have Edwin Tenorio who left when he came at 37 or 38 who was in better shape at that age and actually started for LDU.

Arce has been lighting it up anytime he's come off the bench replacing one of the forwards and did it again vs. Racing scoring. Insua refuses to find a way to get him into the starting lineup, instead opting for the foreign acquisitions (I am sure because ownership has made him).

If we are to succeed, the over the hill Borghello needs to ride pine and Arce needs to be integrated and the team like it did in the second half to start, needs to play a 4-3-3, NOT a 3-5-2 which when we attack leaves us with 3 in the back that have horrible positioning and when we try to defend, end up bunkering with 5-6 man line and field position deep, so no chance to attack.

Buuuuuut...Bolivar showing again....results Bolivian clubs have shown in the past.....we'll see how things go...but so far not looking very good for the Celestes.

Suyuntuy and Eber1990 repped this.
  8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Awful call; the Rosario Central player dove.

9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Until they get their country under control, Venezuelan teams should be banned from international competition. First off, we had the near death experience with Huracan where Patricio Toranzo lost parts of 3 toes

For river's trip to Varela, they arrived to Maracaibo and the pilots they had hired for their charter didn't even show up. When they finally arrived at the airport, they found it didn't have power. Then, their bus broke down twice on what should have been a 15 minute ride to the hotel.

At the stadium itself, the lockeroom didn't even have hooks or hangers to hang the uniforms of the players. I mean are you serious?!

I'm sorry but this is just too much. First of all, we must take into account the safety of the teams. Venezuela doesn't even have the capacity to feed its own people, let alone have an infrastructure that can guarantee safe transport. I mean and airport with out power? I've never heard of such a thing... Let's also not forget rampant cases of Zika and Dengue

I'm sure it's all just a conspiracy by the imperialists though.... :rolleyes:

SiempreCrema repped this.
  10. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did anyone catch river third goal?

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was wondering the same thing. The highlight is very difficult to find on youtube. All I could find was some weird blurry thing.

12. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    FOX transmission was cut off for about 5 minutes and during that time came Alonso first goal (River third)

Maybe we can create a myth around that goal... Did it really happen? Only people in the stadium saw it...

13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They showed it on sports center- high cross from Mercado, header from Alonso. Goalkeeper didn't move

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    We who were born in Latin America are all aware that things there often don't operate as they do in North America or western Europe, but I'd say that in Venezuela's case, it's breakdown of the system thanks to ineptness from above. The Bolivarian leftists are making the country worse every day. A pity, since Venezuela, with its oil reserves, is a resource-rich country and therefore a nation with plenty of natural wealth which, if managed with wisdom and good government, could yield far better living conditions.

And this unfortunately is true for essentially all CONMEBOL member nations.

As for zika, if the visiting players just remain in their hotels/stay in safe areas, they'll be fine. Brazilian soccer players/teams and living their lives, as are dozens of millions of Brazilians.

HomietheClown repped this.
  15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not talking about the difference between North America (the U.S. And Canada because mexico is Latin America even though geographically its in the north) I'm talking about the difference between already chaotic and dysfunctional nations on our continent and Venezuela.

Maduro, is a former bus driver and is uneducated and as unfit a president as the world as have ever seen. The largest growing foreign population in Buenos Aires is not Paraguayan or Bolivian- it's Venezuelan now. If you talk to these people they'll tell you, the media is not exaggerating- things are worse there than is being reported. There is no food, there are real shortages of essentials. You can't walk in the street safely at night.

As for the football, huracan's team is lucky to be alive. Obviously, accidents can happen anywhere, but this is no coincidence neither is river's nightmare trip to Varela.

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You needn't tell me. I follow international events/political news, and even by South American standards, Maduro (following on up Chavez) is not a serious leader. Raising the price of gasoline 6,000% reflects the ignorance of a person who thinks his political office can overrule the laws of markets and economics.

If it's chaotic and dysfunctional in certain CONMEBOL countries, I can only imagine how bad it is in Venezuela. My team has to go there too. Perhaps SPFC management should get some tips from your team's brass when we visit you on March 10th.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nacional keeps on trucking. This time in Medellin.
    They are going to be tough to stop.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're in top form, but the summer (winter down there) break may stop them.

19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I said this in the Peruvian Libertadores section.

The Peruvians experience deja vu every single Copa.

The first Peruvian club loses in the preliminary round.
    The second Peruvian club completely embarrass themselves, gathering less than 3 points. This year, Melgar and Universitario in 2014.
    The third Peruvian club (CRISTAL) is winning 2-0 in Paraguay, can't hold on and end up drawing 2-2, and then screw up the home leg. 2013 and 2015 against Libertad and Guarani.

I've just about given up on the Peruvian clubs now. Especially Cristal. I will always have hope if Universitario gets back into the Libertadores, but otherwise I don't expect much from them.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Peru is fighting Venezuela for the "worst league in S. America" award at this point.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Not Bolivia?

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Heck no, Strongest and Bolivar are better than anything those two can offer.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    At home?

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Strongest already beat Sao Paulo away, and top their group after two games. Melgar, Cristal & Trujillanos are at the bottom of their groups, unable to win even at home. The only one with a win is Táchira, but they're in the same group with a terrible Olimpia.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  25. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    But are you forgetting how awful they did in the Copa Sudamericana 2015?

The Strongest are good, full stop. Everyone else is awful.