Copa Libertadores 2015 [r]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Creo que rayados.

2. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Si te refieres a equipo millonario en cuestion de poder adquisitivo, ambos equipos cuentan con importantes empresas nacionales que los respaldan, tanto Femsa (NYSE: FMX) a Monterrey como Cemex (NYSE: CX) a UANL Tigres hacen importantes inversiones cada año. En este momento ambos conjuntos regiomontanos cuentan con los planteles mas caros del futbol mexicano, Tigres, luego le sigue Monterrey y un poco mas abajo se encuentra el Club America.

En cuanto a popularidad, sinceramente la ciudad esta toltalmente dividida, es dificil decir cual equipo es mas popular. Hace un par de años hubo una encuesta en donde Rayados de Monterrey salio con margen minimo como el equipo mas popular de la ciudad, esto se debio a los recientes (aquel entonces) campeonatos de liga y el tricampeonato en la Concacaf Liga de Campeones.

HeartandSoul repped this.
  3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jajaja con razon los regios tienen fama de fresas

4. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Los regios tenemos fama de muchas cosas, pero creeme cuando te digo que la gran mayoria somos gente educada, amigable, y tabajadora. :D

pepinointer repped this.
  5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Bueno como la mayoria de los mexicanos!!

6. Californian

Californian Red Card

Jul 23, 2015

They both have deep pockets

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Taken from an excerpt posted on Ole by a Mexican journalist:

Mario Sánchez (periodista de El Horizonte de México)

"Se pusieron las pilas con todo"

Es la primera vez en su historia que Tigres se toma con seriedad la Libertadores, ya que en otras oportunidades la jugó como invitado y no le dio demasiada importancia. Sin embargo, los hinchas empujaron a la dirigencia para reforzar el equipo porque querían lucirse en un torneo internacional, y mucho tuvieron que ver los argentinos que integran el plantel: Guzmán, Pizarro y Alvarez saben bien lo que significa este torneo.

Es el club que más ingresos genera, por lo que tiene dinero suficiente para invertir, y la directiva le dio el gusto a la gente y armó un plantel competitivo para llegar a la final. Se logró el primer objetivo y ahora quieren ganar la Copa y convertirse en el primer campeón mexicano. Las tribunas llenas en cada presentación demostraron el apoyo masivo al grupo. Está claro que se pusieron las pilas para dejar una marca.

http://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-intern...gres-presupuesto-millonario_0_1402059810.html

RiverGaucho repped this.
  8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I also read in Olé today that Tigres makes $200,000 per game on beer sales!! In Argentina, we aren't allowed to sell alcohol in the stadiums

9. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexican owners know diddly shit about football but when it comes to making money...

Dominican Lou and locoxriver repped this.
  10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Aca estan vendiendo cervezas sin alcohol :confused:

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Whaaaaat???

12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    la ultima vez que fui al campin, me estaban vendiendo esto

[​IMG]

sidspaceman and Ron Mexico repped this.
  13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jajajaja. Una vergüenza.

14. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Mexican dirigentes follow the American sports model, so they make a fukton of money. It's pretty clear to see.

My friend was telling me about the season ticket situation at either Tigres or Monterrey. It pretty much works exactly like season tickets in the US. I don't know about anywhere else in SA, but in Peru, season tickets are unheard of. If you want tickets, you go and wait outside the stadium and buy them individually.

A lot of the "branding", (hate that term) the marketing, it's all very American. I mean, I think it was Tecos that moved to Cancun one year. That's another thing that's completely unheard of in Peru and I'm sure the rest of South America. A team isn't making enough money so the owner just decides to move them to another city?? Happens all the time in the US, though.

The downside is it creates a very vapid sporting culture. The upside is that they rake in so much money they don't know what to do with it.

15. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You are completely right, Liga MX follows the American professional sport leagues ideology in terms of marketing and revenue generation models, more specifically the NFL. Besides the "branding", season tickets or "bonos" and other marketing strategies you mentioned, the "Liguilla" is the Mexican version of the NFL playoffs, and its the most lucrative period for any team.
    It's not a surprise that this concept worked well in Monterrey, this region has been "Americanized" almost completely, and with its population high GDP per capita; its a no-brainier for these multinationals to do these type of investments. Cemex project its simple, they want to convert this regional brand "Tigres" with almost non-existent fans outside of Monterrey to one of the most popular teams in Mexico. I'm sure they know that winning this prestigious Copa Libertadores will leave a mark in South America and probably make some noise in Europe, winning the Concacaf Champions League and disputing the Club World Cup next year will do the same for the Asian Market. I don't blame them, after all they are business people.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  16. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  17. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Also Tigres wanted to overshadow Monterrey's stadium with the signings and a possible Libertadores championship. and so far they have achieved it!

About the fans, typically Tigres had more, even though for the recent success Monterrey might have the upper hand now.

Outside of Nuevo León I have seen they support Monterrey a lot in Saltillo, but no Tigres.

18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Man, thats pretty stone age. In Argentina, season tickets are very much the norm. First you must become a socio "member" but then you can buy an "abono" or season ticket, which is what I have. This gives you a ticket to all the home matches of the local Argentine League- at the beginning of the season they give you a card with your set number and what ever and you just use that for ever match, and then priority for Copa Libertadores/Copa Sudamericana matches.

All transactions also now have to be made online using a credit card to buy tickets for River. This has angered some people, as believe it or not there are people in Argentina who don't have internet at home and don't have bank accounts or credit cards, but it makes everything very easy for the majority of us who do.

The waiting outside the stadium still exists for some clubs i'm sure, but for River its all done online.

As far as marketing/branding goes, well in Argentina football is so popular most of the times its not necessary, but River has certainly progressed modeling itself on the European clubs- not NFL. I can go into more details if anyone wants, but not here. Though I will mention the River has really revolutionized marketing in Argentina, now the club needs to start marketing outside the country

As for Mexican League, well I've always found it absurd. I remember a few years back, Queretaro was relegated, and they couldn't take it like men, so their owner just bought the club that was ascending to the first division Jugaures de Chiapas, changed the name to Club Queretaro, and moved them to Queretaro, then Jugaures bought San Luis and moved them to Chiapas. A complete farce. rendered the whole league season pointless and invalid.

For this reason, I find the Liga MX one of the least attractive leagues in the world. Sure its based on the NFL model, but honestly how many times in recent years have NFL teams switched cities and/or changed names? In Liga MX it seems to happen all the time, and of course there is no relegation in NFL, and the way queretaro avoided relegation and the Liga MX accepted it is IMO one of the most despicable things i've seen in sports.

Argentine football may be corrupt and have its problems, but at least the clubs are owned by the socios and they can never move, change shirts or names, and as we have seen in recent years with my club and Independiente, if a big club gets relegated, they will go to the second division and win promotion on the field, much less small teams who go down and must fight to get back up all the time.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Agree 100%.

Liga MX owners don't care about tradition (most of them), but care about $$ and staying in the 1st division. You're right about the whole buying of teams so tehir own squad doesn't go down. There's a ton of shady stuff that happens over there.

Bolivia is similar to Peru. But Bolivar, is trying to do the same as any big taem in SA. We have abonos too, socios also, but I do remember like 10 years ago, it was the same--you have to go buy tickets at your lunch break to go to games. Claure (Bolivian Billionaire) is changing how the team works since he took over. He's turning the team modern and breaking away frmo old practices that led us to more debt. He's also modernizing training, sponsorships, media, advertising, work with social media and just makign us a 'big' team how we're suposed to be.

pepinointer repped this.
  20. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  21. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It is absurd and it only has happen with the minnow clubs with shady connections like Queretaro, Veracruz or Puebla. Clubs with history (Leon, Necaxa, Atlante) take the relegation hit as to not erase their history. Chivas who is in danger of relegation this season will not erase all their history just to buy out some scrub and stay in first division.

The main flaw with the mexican league is that there's less historic teams than in Europe and South America so these minnows can just erase their 5-10 yr old clubs and start fresh somewhere else. The old clubs will never do this.

That being said, no one Mexico likes this other than the fans keeping their team I guess. There's only one team relegated per year and some owners have multiple teams. Something that is supposed to change by 2018 via reforms but we'll see if that happens.

HeartandSoul repped this.
  22. HechoEnMéxico

HechoEnMéxico New Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with most of what you said except about the owners having multiple teams. Grupo Pachuca and Caliente both own two teams and there has never been suspicion, and not only that they also spend a good quality on both of the teams.
    As for azteca i did find it disgusting the way they dismantled Morelia.

23. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    TV Azteca drop their ugly girlfriend for a nicer pretty one. Morelia couldn't even fill their stadium when they were good back in the early 00s. An enthusiastic owner is needed to revitalize that team. They are also in the relegation zone and could end up going down like Atlante.

24. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why get a red card so late?

25. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Go River tonight! You are the whole of South America, River! Let's get it done and prevent a North American team from winning the Libertadores!