Copa Libertadores 2014: Round of 16 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Century's Best, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Shocker of a loss. Strongest with really good chances that were squandered. They should have won this...but unlucky to have to take it to penalties.

Bolivar now the lone Bolivian squad in the next round...

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Strongest was very close to nicking a goal close to the end. Unlucky for them, in the penalty round, Campaña was tops.

Bolivia and Uruguay with one team in the QFs each.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mi madre... eliminaron a Velez.

Ésos Paraguayos y sus bunkers.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    What was a boring game in the first half became quite an exciting one in the latter part of the second. Vélez Sarsfield opens the scoreboard, Nacional ties it with a PK and earns a 1-man advantage, Vélez with a great 2nd goal, and at the 88th minute, Vélez has a second man with a second yellow.

Credit to Vélez for making it 2-1 while playing with 10 men, but Nacional tenaciously held on after Vélez tied. I felt sorry for Sosa as he ran backwards, tripped, and fell as Orué and 2 other Nacional players ran towards the empty Vélez net. Orué sure took his time to kick, and his 2 teammates were both grinning.

Group stage #1-ranked team Vélez Sarsfield out. Nacional now faces the winner of Unión Española vs. Arsenal.

5. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    8°s de final (martes 29):

Defensor Sporting(URU) 2 The Strongest(BOL) 0
    Goles de Giorgian de Arrascaeta y Nicolás Olivera.
    En el global empataron 2:2 y en penales ganó Defensor Sporting 4:2.

Vélez Sarsfield(ARG) 2 Nacional de Asunción(PAR) 2:eek:
    Goles de Jorge Correa(VS), Jorge Correa(VS), Silvio Torales(N, de penal) y Derlis Orué(N, al minuto 94:eek:).
    En el global ganó Nacional de Asunción 3:2:eek:

4°s de final hasta ahora:

Nacional(PAR) vs Unión Española(CHI) o Arsenal(ARG)
    Atlético Nacional(COL) o Atlético-MG(BRA) vs Defensor Sporting(URU)
    San Lorenzo de Almagro(ARG) o Gremio(BRA) vs Cerro Porteño(PAR) o Cruzeiro(BRA)
    Bolívar(BOL) vs Lanús(ARG)

Hoy:
    Unión Española(CHI) vs Arsenal(ARG)
    Gremio(BRA) vs San Lorenzo de Almagro(ARG)
    Cerro Porteño(PAR) vs Cruzeiro(BRA)

6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Watching UE v Arsenal and barely anyone in the stadium. I'm not in SA but what do you think would need to be done to bring people to the stadiums. Kind of pathetic to be so deep in the tourney and to be watching an empty stadium.

dreyx2000 repped this.
  7. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #57 RiverGaucho, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    What a bad player Barcos is. So slow, so clumsy... No wonder he was a complete failure in Argentina and went to the B with Palmeiras.

8. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In SA people are true and loyal to their clubs, and only to them.

If Arsenal has a fan base of barely 5000 people now (And I think i'm being generous with that number), that's not going to change in the course of 50 years, even if they win 8 Libertadores in a row.

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The game was played in Chile, though. I guess Union Espanola must not have fans either.

And yes, you're being more than generous with that number of Arsenal fans.

Sandinista repped this.
  10. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cruzeiro winning it all....

11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Arsenal's average attendance is about 1000 per game, and I've never actually met an arsenal fan

And as I said... Barcos es un muerto!!!!

How can a big brazilian team have this guy as not only their "star" but also their captain?! Seriously Gremio, you let aregtina down tonight

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I hope you're right.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    So much hate for a team with no Copa Libertadores success.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I never thought I would've seen the day when Paraguay would have Nacional in the quarterfinals (and by ousting the top-ranked team from the group stage) while having Cerro Porteño eliminated at home on the very same week.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Arsenal I can understand. Why Union Española has no fans is more of a mystery. They have a good past, with a run to a Libertadores final even (a good accomplishment for a Chilean club). Still, they have no fans compared to Colo Colo, Cobreloa, la U, Catolica...

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Three Argentine "virgins" in the quartefinals: San Lorenzo, Arsenal, and Lanús. Not to mention Defensor Sporting, Nacional of Paraguay, and Bolívar. Both Atl.-MG and Atl.-Nacional have won the Copa, and so has Cruzeiro - but this has been a peculiar Libertadores indeed.

17. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope Lanus can win but I'm calling Cruzeiro

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I said Cruzeiro from the first day but some were saying they sucked and wouldn't get past group, etc.

Now they're starting to show why they won the Brasileirão last year.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    First Miracle by el Papa Francisco?

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Well, in the first game, Lanús hosts Bolívar, so if they get a good goal differential, they can hold off even in altitude. But Bolívar has scored 6 away goals in this Libertadores, and Lanús has been scored on at home only once - and Bolívar has not failed to score when playing at home. Lanús will need to execute flawlessly on defense when visiting Bolivia - Bolívar will take advantage of the altitude.

Cruzeiro has the means to win games. The issue was psychological. I pointed out Atl.-PR was weak in this area and they've been long gone. Tonight, Cruzeiro showed its mettle by winning in a very hostile stadium against a very persistent and difficult opponent. San Lorenzo won't be any easier - I don't think San Lorenzo is a better team, but they're growing in confidence and they have earned classification on Brazilian soil. If Cruzeiro loses the first match, San Lorenzo will go to Belo Horizonte confident. However, despite its poor group stage record, Cruzeiro is a more well-oiled machine than Grêmio was. I will therefore be very surprised if Cruzeiro doesn't score at least one goal in Argentina.

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    San Lorenzo probably could've used a miracle when they hosted Lanús on April 12. Lanús left with 3 points in their luggage and 4 goals.

22. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think his firat was when they won the league in his first year I know who to tell "careful what you wish for" but im not going to point them out

23. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First* cant edit on phone

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Eh, as usual you talk out of your ass. I'd have to research why their fans didn't show up en masse yesterday but Unión has a very substantial following.

In regards to the game itself and Unión's performance...well, the last 2 years in the CLA for Chilean teams have been absolutely horrible.

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I am hoping Bolivar put on a good showing in Argentina, and take it home in La Paz. If we had playing Santos, the first game would have been in La Paz.

Playing Lanus has played in our favor because we get to finish in La Paz.