Copa Libertadores 2012 - Cuartos de Final [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by chaski, May 11, 2012.

1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was a fluke. That curious trajectory you speak of is the deflection off of Diego Rivero. Orion had the the angle as the ball was played off of Carletos boot. Worst case scenario if that ball goes through untouched is possibly on a short hop. The way Orion has been playing for a while now that ball is saved more often than not. Nothing against Carletos as his shots and service the rest of the night was better than solid. His approach to the ball on fk's reminds me a little of Roberto Carlos.

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    You mad bro? [​IMG]

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, Neymar and Ganso missed a lot of games in the Brasilerao last year but played in most (all?) of the Paulista'12 matches. Combining that with the obvious fact that the Brasilerao is a tougher competition leads to the results we've witnessed.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Velez is playing with 10 men after Barovero was ejected but are holding on to the scoreless draw that will see them through. Santos and Neymar haven't shown up yet. Lets see what happens in the second half.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL! Velez is parking the bus in front of the goal. I doubt they can survive playing that way against Santos.

6. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    They are doing some brave defending though. And Martinez is looking deadly on the counters. Santos could use a bit more patience in attack, I feel. Maybe being just a bit less direct will solve the Velez puzzle.
    Can Velez hang on for 20-23 more minutes?

7. xdryza

xdryza Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    What a save by Montoya! Saved Velez right there.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ganso makes a pass like Riquelme and it's 1-0. With this result they go to penalties. Can Velez hang on?

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gutsy performance from Velez tonight. Down a player to Santos in Brazil and still a chance with the penalties. I hope Cosmos isn't having a heart attack.

10. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Yeah right! It wouldn't surprise me if Cosmos was in the fetal position right now sucking his thumb.

argentine soccer fan and Moishe repped this.
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jaja. Awesome!

12. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Santos' GK is coming off his line early on every kick...Looks like that's it for Velez.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Santos takes it.

I have absolutely nothing against Velez, but I am quite glad Santos made it for one very simple reason. A staffperson from Velez's press corps Twittered a rude comment about a Santos great, Chico Formiga, who recently died. Carlos Marino published a photograph of Marino's wake and wrote, "is this a prognostic for today? hahaha!"

Classless and crass. I know that Velez's players have nothing to do with a journalist's misbehavior, but I wouldn't have wanted him to "jajajaja" all the way back to Buenos Aires with a semifinal berth.

Good for Santos. Their title reign lasts at least two more matches. Onto Corinthians for an unforgettable all-Brazilian semifinal.

15. xdryza

xdryza Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    This sucks. I was hoping for 2 Argentine teams in the Semifinals, but whatever.

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Nah, just funny how you keep claiming to be Brazilian.

I had no horses in that game so...congrats. :cool:

Bostero818 repped this.
  17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a battle in Chile. 1-1 so far and going to penalties, but it's early.

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The number 6 from La U kicked it perfectly - high, strong, nearly indefensible. And La U has advanced.

I watched little of the match, but what I did notice was that of the four semifinal return legs, La U's fans provided the best atmosphere. Better than Engenhao, better than Vila Belmiro (who did pop a lot of fireworks), and better than Pacaembu. These Chilean fans seem quite passionate, and theirs is a large stadium. It will make a fitting stage for the return leg against Boca.

So now we move on to international friendlies (I myself will be at Rutherford in New Jersey to watch Brazil and Argentina. It will be my second time watching Neymar in person.)... and to World Cup qualifying.

Y'all enjoy your evening and the upcoming NT matches. I look forward to the semifinals.

HeartandSoul repped this.
  19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I'm a paying Corinthians fan. wtf are you sayin. :rolleyes:

20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sure, sure.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    That feel when Chileans hate you for supporting a team that will most likely smash their only hope for success in anything. Feels good

You n your hate should get a room. PDA not allowed on the boards.

22. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Let's lay off the nationalities no need to make this bigger.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Speaking of nationalities, I was impressed with Osses, the Chilean ref who did the Boca Flu match yesterday. We've talked a lot here about horrible refs (and rightly so), but I thought he did an outstanding job in a very intimidating environment. He didn't buy the dives and fake injuries -particularly from Carletto- he wasn't influenced by the crowd, and I thought he made the right calls most of the time. My only doubt is if Rivero's shot went into the goal, but it was a tough call either way, and anyway Silva's follow-up made it a moot point.

How is he seen in Chile, is he generally known as a fair and competent ref, or was it a fluke?

24. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    ??? Why would anyone mock a foreign fan of Brasilian football? There's nothing wrong with that. The reason Europe became so strong is because of foreign fans. Latin football should always welcome foreign fans with open arms.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. I have a friend from El Salvador who is a huge Boca fan and he doesn't miss a Copa Libertadores game. We were watching the game and he was suffering as much as I was and when Silva scored I think we gave the neighbors a heart attack the way we yelled the goal. It's nice to see people from other parts of the world get into Libertadores and appreciate it for the great tournament that it is.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.