Copa Libertadores 2012 - Cuartos de Final [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by chaski, May 11, 2012.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    If this continues.. we won't need extratime or penalty kicks. Flu look like they can tack on 2 or 3 more goals on this frightened Boca side.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    How the hell does Boca do this?!?!?! They consistently play trash throughout the whole game and then in the dying minutes they just decide to score winners...

omgggggg What is this like.. Boca's 1000th time winning like this, this season?

locoxriver repped this.
  4. xdryza

xdryza Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    That was very intense! Very happy to see us advance, but I still worry about our defense.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hope Corinthians takes care of business later tonight and then proceed to get knocked out in the next round. :D

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    YESSSSSSSSS.

PLAY LIKE CRAP, FINISH LIKE CHAMPIONS. GRANDE BOCA!!!

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Or maybe not...

:D

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Boca will most likely play La U.. have to ask yourself, how many games can they go winning like this.

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    GRANDE CASSIO!!!

Diego Souza LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! :D

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    WE'RE THROUGH WE'RE THROUGH WE'RE THROUGH WE'RE THROUGH WE'RE THROUGH WE'RE THROUGH WE'RE THROUGH WE'RE THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O Rei Paulinho [​IMG]

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    2 down, 1 to go :)

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Fluminense X Boca Júniores:
    This was one of those matches, not like Argentina X Brazil in 1990 or Brazil X Argentina in 2004, in which one team outplays the other for much of the match but the outplayed team has ONE play that seals it. Fluminense didn’t deserve to go out like this, but Boca scored on the one chance it had. Deco and Fred were terribly missed, and given the 3-goal advantage Fluminense had over Botafogo on the first leg of the Rio de Janeiro State Championship, those two could and probably should have been rested. Boca too is juggling other competitions (Argentine Cup, local league) and it has had injury depletions, so they have had to rotate players.

Boca will have Ledesma back from injury as the Libertadores takes a break after tonight for WCQ qualifying and international friendlies. They storm into the semifinals as a contender, but they definitely look much more mortal than they did in Copas Libertadores past. I predict an epic two-match showdown against Universidade de Chile.

Corinthians X Vasco:
    A TOTAL flashback to the 2000 FIFA Club World Cup final. As it was 12 years ago, we had a truncated match with aggressive marking. In fact, this was a better match; both teams hit the woodwork. Not often do we see two teams whose defensive lines are consistently attentive for the duration of the match; and, both teams had chances in the first half. In 2000, there weren’t as many chances. Diego Souza will regret missing that one-on-one with Cássio for the rest of his career – he could have lobbed the football over the goalkeeper. Had he scored, Corinthians would have been obligated to score two goals in less than 30 minutes. Not surprisingly, the victory goal came off a corner kick.

Corinthians now focuses on the Brasileirão, and it will take advantage of the few weeks’ pause starting tonight. Of the four teams that will be semifinalists, Corinthians alone remains undefeated. It has not been scored on in the last five matches. Cássio, not even 21 years old, has delivered as goalkeeper and I see him as a potential future starter for Brazil’s NT. Unlike previous years, Corinthians is showing emotional self-control and if lacks a Neymar, a Fred, a Ronaldinho Gaúcho, or a Leandro Damião, it has a collective game that has delivered steady results. I predict Santos will be its semifinal opponent, where Corinthians will have another grueling all-Brazilian confrontation.

(Something about “domestic” matches in knockout stages in the Libertadores – there’s that extra competitiveness. I remember São Lourenço vs. Rio da Prata in 2008 – very competitive matches. If Boca and Vélez cross paths later on, it’ll be likewise brutal.)

I can’t wait for Santos X Vélez tonight.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I too think Santos takes it tonight.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

This should have read "not UNlike...."

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jajaja! Looking solely at this team, they are almost all blue collar type players and they just don't seem to stop until the final whistle. It also doesn't hurt when you have a player like Don Libertadores (Riquelme) that can go 92 minutes of poor play to kill you with one pass to Burrito Rivero. If only we had better TV ratings in Argentina:(

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca played poorly, no doubt about it, but it's the sign of a champion when a team can resolve tough matches on the days that things are not working. Hopefully they won't have another match like yesterday. I thought Flu won the tactical battle for the most part, they played a smart game, taking the initiative, neutralizing Riquelme and exploiting the back of Clemente, particularly in the first half. But they didn't execute well in the attacking third, and for all their tactical dominance they created few chances. Their goal was a fluke, and I can think of only a couple of other clear opportunities they had. And in the second half as the game wore on I think Boca regained its composure and then Flu started feeling the pressure. Finally, I think Boca was rewarded because they were still trying to win it until the last moment, while Flu seemed to be already thinking of the penalty tiebreaker.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interestingly, because of the Conmebol rules, if Santos wins the two Brazilian teams will play each other and if Velez wins the two Argentine teams will play each other. La U (or possibly Libertad) would face the single Brazilian/Argentine team left.

No disrespect to Velez because they are a solid team, but I'd rather face them next. It would be nice to play both semifinal legs in Buenos Aires, especially considering that the second leg will be away.

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I rather play Santos.. just to see the chance of watching Corinthians eliminate Santos... man that will cause some riot celebrations in Sao Paulo.

19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It was not a fluke. The ball did have a curious trajectory, but Carleto is known for having a potent leg and for being good w/ free kicks. Fluminense's downfall was that on the one truly clear chance Boca had, Boca capitalized. That's how the game is. Until the match ends, anything can happen. Ask AC Milan in 2005. Carlos Tevez would've agreed in the aftermath of the 2004 Copa América final.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's a stupid rule. I had written a few weeks ago that if Fluminense advanced and if Santos eliminated Vélez Sarsfield, that we would have had 3 semifinalists from Brazil. It won't happen this year, but who is to say it will NEVER happen? Brazilian clubs have been very competitive in recent years thanks to the economic growth happening there, and this is enabling my country's teams to acquire better players. Suppose your country has a revival of its own. Then Boca, Rio da Prata, and Estudantes stand to reach the quarterfinals. Will CONMEBOL modify this rule to affect the semifinals?

And one day, what if... what if all 4 semifinalists are from one country?

A Boca-Vélez matchup would be attractive because, as I wrote earlier, domestic confrontations in the Libertadores always have an extra factor. If a Brazil vs. Argentina matchup brings that old rivalry into it, a Corinthians vs. Vasco, a Rio da Prata vs. Estudantes, a Parol vs. Nacional... these bring extremely passionate local rivalries that add flavor to a Libertadores knockout round.

Let the dice fall where they may. I am personally hoping for a Santos win because a Corinthians vs. Santos semifinal would be HUGE - the rivalry between those two is almost as bitter as Corinthians vs. Palmeiras, which is as bitter and heated as Boca vs. Rio da Prata.

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    For me as a fan that would be absolutely awesome to watch. But regardless of who wins, the police of both Santos and São Paulo will have a LOT of work on their hands.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    You had me at Santos win...

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure what to make of Santos. They didn't do well in the last Brasilerao, but then they win the Paulista. And in La Copa one week they look unbeatable and the next week they look ordinary. Sometimes the defense looks horrible and they win with offense, but at other times they do it with defense. Very talented but very unpredictable. That's one reason why it's fun to watch them.

23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So he made his debut for Emelec in 2010 and since then he's already had one half-season out due to injuries? That without counting this year at la U. Yikes!

Correct, the Apertura/Clausura tourneys have a playoff system attached to them. Said playoffs (for the Apertura) started yesterday, in fact.

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    "We", lolz.