Copa Libertadores 2011: The Final (R)

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by MetroChile, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yup.

2. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    funny thing that doesnt happen in the brazilian league, because a team can lose their pitch for over 6 months and pay fines of over 1 million.

while in the Libertadores, we have the VERY SAD and third worldish sight of cops having to hold shields to protect players from things thrown from the stands, everytime a corner will be taken. (also funny that doesnt happen in Brazilian stadiums, the same ones you think something must be done about)

the problem is CONMEBOL, not brazilian stadiums.

3. Arthur V

Arthur V Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Brasilia, BRASIL
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    agreed.

I've never seen a "rock rain" here in Brazil. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with the stadiums. there's something wrong with the people in charge.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly what I have been trying to express. Domestically, I have never seen any sort of brawls in Brazil other than once every few years. Last one I can recall was the Coritiba incident in 2009, in which they were banned from use of their stadium for a year and received a hefty fine. The fans who caused the commotion were identified and banned for life at Couto Pereira.

5. extremal

extremal Member

Sep 27, 2009
  6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    In colombia FIFA just requested from colombian authorities to remove the ugly fences and barb wired in some cities that will host the WC u20

next month....will be interesting to see how the fans behave at that level in front of international audiences.

I wonder if the same fences and barricades, will be removed from argie stadiums, for copa america?!

7. Broncano

Broncano Moderator

Jul 31, 2006
    Lima
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I am aware ours is a whole different reality, but something I read in the book "Hoolifan" by Chelsea supporter Martin King has always stuck in my mind.

After the Taylor report when pitch and segregation fences came down in England everyone was predicting crowd trouble and pitch invasions.

We all know what happened.

So King said: "If you put people in a cage, chances are they'll behave like animals... Treat them as a paying customer and you'll see different results"

8. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Depends on the stadium, in Cordoba and La Plata there're no fences(their shape doesn't make them useful), at all the others only in the endlines, except Salta's stadium which has some short arcryllic on the sides, interestingly it's also the only one which is a full-seater.

What happened? Because there have been pitch invasions in England in the recent times.

9. Broncano

Broncano Moderator

Jul 31, 2006
    Lima
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    There's always gonna be isolated incidents at football matches, but crowd trouble in Britain in the 70s to the late 80s was the norm. Those were crazy years...

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    True but the hooligan problem has been reduced to but a few incidents. Certainly not even compareable to what goes on in CONMEBOL.

Broncano and the rest of you guys: do you think that if fences were removed from our stadiums, such incidents as the one at the Santos-Peñarol game would stop happening? Honest question.

11. Broncano

Broncano Moderator

Jul 31, 2006
    Lima
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Had perimeter fences been removed for that game it would have been World War III in Pacaembu :p

It's not just a matter of removing fences, I believe it's long term education, and everyone must develop the mindset that it's not ok to stir sh!t up at football matches, and I don't mean just fans, I also mean club officials, press, police.. everyone involved.

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the vuelta n a boxing match was on my TV at the end.

The recibimiento was cool however.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Neymar, by the way, has trimphed over Uruguayan soccer twice this year. First, he and the Brazil U-20 National Team won the U-20 continental title with a 6-0 rout against Uruguay. Now, with his team, Neymar defeated Penarol with total and complete justice.

I wonder if Brazil and Uruguay will meet in the 2011 Copa America - and, if they do, whether Neymar can make it 3 for 3. It'll be interesting to watch come July.

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I completely agree, it isn't a matter of the fans only.

15. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Aguante Peñarol, orgulloso de mi equipo que dejó todo hasta el último momento.

Quedamos primeros primeros en la tabla historica de la Copa Libertadores, somos el equipo con más participaciones, somos el que jugó más finales de Copa Libertadores, fuimos el equipo que más entradas vendió de local y de visitante en la copa, estrenamos la bandera más grande del mundo, nuestra hinchada hizo el mejor recibimiento de la historia..

Gracias a la mejor hinchada del mundo, por copar todas las canchas, hacer tremendo recibimiento todos los partidos, la bandera más grande, vender más entradas que cualquier otro equipo, sin duda la hinchada más grande de Sudamerica.

Nada más para decir, gracias Peñarol por tantas alegrías, el año que viene tendremos la revancha ;)

P.D : Siempre cobran los Brasileros con Peñarol, aver cuando se plantan.. :cool:

16. tavoludo

tavoludo Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Obviously everyone is going to show and say whatever is convenient for their cause. In Mexican tv they show Inter fans mocking Mexican players to which not only Reynoso but others reacted too. First thing that comes to mind, is what are fans doing on the field? All you need to start a brawl after a hot game is a small spark and fans can easily provoke that. Once the punches start everyone gets involved.

True, not fair to point out one country when the problem is widespread. I was just refering to the fact that the last two finals have happened in Brazilian stadiums and both games had the same outcome due to the same reason.

Even though what Reynoso did was disgusting, according to chivas players before he did that they were being insulted by one Everton player telling them not to get too close or they would infect him with the virus. I know you gonna compare actions but with the heat of a game a lot of things happen.
    Also in interview players said that even before the game while they were hanging out ia mall many Chileans were demeaning them due to Mexicos flu crisis. Not an excuse, just an explanation. Besides, Reynoso claims he just faked it, that he never really spat or threw any fluids to the Chilean player. Whether you want to believe that or that you actually see a spittle in the video is up to you. To me Penco or whatever his name reacted too calm considering someone had just "spat" on him.

http://mx.ibtimes.com/articles/20090430/burlas-chivas-everton-reynoso-tos-influenza-chile.htm

17. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    WOW!

Not even mexicans believe the "innocense and good intentions" of the brazilians anymore?

what is this world coming to?

what's next? referees not falling for their antics?

hmmmm.... gonna have to do something about it

is Havelange still alive?

:D

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

is also a different 'futbol culture' in conmebol

with huge education differences and income levels.

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Bump.

To add to the many things that have been said here (about the behavior of fans at CONMEBOL matches), the minute of silence prior to the Colombia-Costa Rica match on Saturday was not respected by a few morons.