Copa Libertadores 2010 discussion - part 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess to some extent playing the defending champion has to be an extra incentive, but you'd think playing Libertadores should be enough to pump people up.

I'm surprised to hear they bought shoes today at a local shop. You'd think they'd be more ready than that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching the game and Brana's goal starting at 10:00 PM tonight, courtesy of Fox Sports Espanol.

2. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently they tested the pitch last night and they were dissappointed because they expected it to be taller, other players(like Orión) used their regular blades however.

3. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    it was both andres

4. el Rafaa

el Rafaa Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Somewhere in MA
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    is it me or Libertad is just looking weaker and weaker now

5. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    YEs they are, they are a young bunch, a lot of this kids are playing their first year in division one and are really struggling in the local tournament, I very much doubt they'll go far into this tournament but they are putting together a pretty impressive team for years to come.

6. Juanchi

Juanchi New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Copa Libertadores: Estudiantes pick up crucial points

Defending Copa Libertadores champions Estudiantes de La Plata moved top of Group 3 after claiming a valuable 2-0 victory over Juan Aurich in Chiclayo, Peru, on Tuesday night. Inspired by the brilliant work of midfielder Jose Sosa Los Picharratas proved too strong for the Peruvians with two second half goals and are now just a step away from securing passage into the round of 16 stage of the competition.

Backed by a sold out crowd of 20,000, Juan Aurich started well, but as the minutes ticked away Estudiantes began to take command of the field due to the presence of captain Juan Sebastian Veron, who was wearing grass shoes to minimise the effects of the artificial field.

After an evenly balanced first half, the game opened up after the break and this was when Estudiantes scored both of their goals.

Gaston Fernandez, who recently returned to the club, put them ahead in the 51st minute after a fine assist from Sosa. Rodrigo Brana put the result out of Aurich´s reach in the 67th with what will surely be a contender for goal of the tournament. The defensive midfielder lobbed the ball over Aurich goalkeeper Diego Morales from 45 metres out. It was his first goal in 44 international matches.

The Peruvians had two players sent off in the final five minutes of the match, these being Jesus Alvarez and Luis Tejada.

Libertad 1-1 Lanus

Lanus remain with an outside chance of qualifying for the Copa Libertadores round of 16 stage after picking up a late 1-1 draw against Libertad in Asuncion, Paraguay.

Defender Adalberto Roman put Libertad ahead in the 3rd minute, and it seemed that the Paraguayans would brush aside the Argentines. However, despite playing with ten men from the 41st minute, Lanus claimed a heroic point with a superb equaliser from Maximiliano Velazquez with seven minutes left in the second half. Velazquez lobbed the ball over Libertad goalkeeper Bernardo Medina from outside of the area.

Gregory Sica

http://www.southamericanfutbol.com/

By the way this is just about the best South American football site I have ever come across, just awesome updated info everyday, I love it:)

http://www.southamericanfutbol.com/

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I predicted Aurich's collapse. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolivar get their first win against them, next. Alianza should top Group 3 after next Thursday, and the winner will be decided in the Estudiantes-Alianza game. I see Estudiantes growing, so it'll probably be them winning the group.

La U also should top its group after next Tuesday, with 11 pts. to Libertad 9. So even if Lanus wins the last game against La U, the Peruvian team will be qualified. In short, Libertad will have to defeat the pathetic Blooming at home, to kick Lanus out. I think it's doable, Blooming is the worst team in the tournament.

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Its a decent site, but for me, beyond Argentina and Brasil they dont stay on top of things, oh yea and the Libertadores.

10. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    you and just about every gawddamn site out there, pops.:D

11. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Libertad having a young squad, hah! In the second half one of the subtitutes that came in was only 16 years old!:eek:

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    True that. But I still predicted it. Salud!

13. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    More than Aurich collapsing, I think Estudiantes just played a hell of a game.

They were absolutely stifling on defense. Aurich has some real talent on the attack but they were completely shut down.

I was impressed. If they keep up this level they're on the short list of champ candidates.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Velez is getting its ass kicked right now.

15. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    yea, speaking of champ candidates.

cruzeiro ain't fukin' around.

16. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    They deserved it last year.

17. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes Vélez got raped at the Mineirão. Interestingly both Cruzeiro and Vélez have the same amount of points, the goal differential is highly favorable to Cruzeiro though.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Every time I praise a team, they get raped.

19. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Can you praise Alianza next?

20. Broncano

Broncano Moderator

Jul 31, 2006
    Lima
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    They already got raped ;)

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, Cruzeiro has a five goal advantage. But Velez has the advantage that their final match is against Deportivo Italia at home, while Cruzeiro has to play a tough match against Colo Colo in Chile. If Colo Colo wins against Deportivo Italia they still have a chance to qualify, so they will make it tough for Cruzeiro.

22. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Banfield tied it in the last minute. So Morelia-Banfield finished 1-1.

So Morelia chances of making to the next round are kinda of short, they must win their last match in Montevideo and wait for Banfield to lose at home against Cuenca.

By the time being Kleber became the top scorer of the cup.

23. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    News: Caldas va por la clasificación en Libertadores

Con la mira puesta en avanzar a octavos de final, el Caldas recibirá hoy al Nacional de Paraguay.

More...

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Colo Colo needs to be Dep. Italia by 8 goals I think to have a legit mathematical shot.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, they have a bit of a better shot if Velez loses to Deportivo Italia at home.

But if that doesn't happen, then all they 'd need to do is to beat Deportivo Italia and Cruzeiro by a combined eight goals.