Copa Libertadores 2009 - grp stage part 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Century's Best, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arthur V

Arthur V Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Brasilia, BRASIL
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Today is holiday here in Brazil too. No work. :)

São Paulo 2 x 1 Defensor

SP didn't play well again. I'm starting to worry.

2. Pelo_Sport_Tudo

Mar 25, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Sport Recife
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bah, Sport lost the only game they couldn't afford to lose this year. Unfortunately, due to the string of good results we've had against Palmeiras in the last year (though historically they are well ahead of us in the direct matchups), the rubronegros had bloodlust for this game. Luxemburgo had a very sound strategy; despite Palmeiras being in the desperate situation, they held back and forced the Sport fans to push their team forward. Then, in an isolated play in which Magrão failed, Palmeiras scored. It's a shame, but I'm a realist and I'm never going to say that losing to Palmeiras is an upset.

The problem is that this weekend Sport plays an important home game for the State league, which, depending on our archrival's results, could yield the State league title to use for the fourth year in a row. In an ideal world, Sport will win and Náutico, who are famous for choking and perpetrated the greatest choke in the history of soccer in the 2005 Série B against Grêmio (they missed two penalty kicks in a home game and allowed Anderson to score after Grêmio had FOUR players ejected), will lose. That way we could focus exclusively on the Libertadores and who knows, make it past the group stage. I had Sport and Palmeiras moving to the elimination round, so who knows, maybe I needed this loss to be proven right!

3. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I wouldn't be too concerned as a SPFC fan: you guys tend to kick it into full gear in the 2nd round.

4. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Grupo 1
    Equipo PJ G E P GF GC +/- Puntos
    Colo Colo 4 2 1 1 8 4 4 7
    Sport 3 2 0 1 4 3 1 6
    -------------------------
    LDU Quito 4 1 1 2 4 8 -4 4
    Palmeiras 3 1 0 2 5 6 -1 3

Grupo 2
    Boca Juniors 4 4 0 0 8 2 6 12 (CLASIFICADO)
    D.Cuenca 4 2 0 2 7 3 4 6
    -------------------------
    D.Táchira 4 2 0 2 4 5 -1 6
    Guaraní (PAR) 4 0 0 4 3 12 -9 0 (ELIMINADO)

Grupo 3
    Nacional(URU) 4 3 1 0 8 1 7 10 (CLASIFICADO)
    Univ. San Martín 4 2 1 1 6 5 1 7
    ------------------------------
    River Plate 4 1 1 2 2 5 -3 4
    Nacional (PAR) 4 0 1 3 2 7 -5 1 (ELIMINADO)

Grupo 4
    São Paulo FC 4 3 1 0 7 3 4 10 (CLASIFICADO)
    D.Indep. Medellín 4 0 4 0 2 2 0 4
    ---------------------------------
    Defensor Sporting 4 1 1 2 2 3 -1 4
    América de Cali 4 0 2 2 2 5 -3 2

Grupo 5
    Cruzeiro 5 3 1 1 7 5 2 10
    Estudiantes LP 5 3 0 2 9 4 5 9
    -----------------------------
    D.Quito 4 1 2 1 3 6 -3 5
    Universitario(BOL) 4 0 1 3 1 5 -4 1 (ELIMINADO)

Grupo 6
    Guadalajara 4 2 1 1 8 5 3 7
    Everton 4 2 1 1 6 8 -2 7
    -----------------------
    Caracas 4 2 0 2 5 3 2 6
    Lanús 4 0 2 2 4 7 -3 2

Grupo 7
    Grêmio 4 3 1 0 6 1 5 10
    Univ.de Chile 4 2 1 1 6 3 3 7
    ----------------------------
    Boyacá Chicó 4 2 0 2 6 4 2 6
    Aurora 4 0 0 4 1 11 -10 0 (ELIMINADO)

Grupo 8
    Libertad 5 4 0 1 7 3 4 12 (CLASIFICADO)
    Universitario(PER) 5 2 2 1 6 5 1 8
    --------------------------------
    San Luis 5 1 2 2 5 7 -2 5
    San Lorenzo 5 1 0 4 4 7 -3 3 (ELIMINADO)

Hasta ahora, los 16 clasificados serían:
    Brasil(4): Sao Paulo, Gremio, Cruzeiro, Sport.
    Chile(3): Colo-Colo, Everton, Univ.de Chile.
    Perú(2): Universitario, Univ.San Martín.
    Argentina(1): Boca Juniors, Estudiantes.
    Paraguay(1): Libertad.
    Ecuador(1): Cuenca.
    México(1): Guadalajara
    Colombia(1): D.I.M.
    Uruguay(1): Nacional

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like I said, Nacional didn't qualify yet: if they lose their remaining two matches, and River win their last two (as well as if San Martin wins one), then the three teams would be tied at first place with 10 points. To make things more simple, this has to be the scenario:

- Nacional (URU) loses to San Martin and Nacional (PAR)
    - San Martin beat Nacional (URU), but lose to River Plate
    - River Plate beat Nacional (PAR) and San Martin

Goal difference would then have to be used to determine which of the two advance. Of course Nacional would still have a huge chance, since they have a great goal difference advantage over the rest of the group.. but you never know.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here is my blog entry for week eight of Copa Libertadores:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=4860

Player of the Week: Brujita Veron (Estudiantes)
    Honorable mention: Emilio Hernandez (U de Chile), Borges (San Pab..errr Sao Paulo)

Goat of the week: El Ogro Fabbiani (River). - Sorry locoxriver but you know it's well deserved-
    Dishonorable mention: Claudio Bieler (LDU)

Team of the week: Estudiantes
    Honorable mention: Gremio

Wost team of the week: San Lorenzo
    Dishonorable mention: Cruzeiro

7. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Can anyone tell me which group Chivas might face if they advance from their current group please?

8. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Impossible to tell until the groups are over. There'll be a table with the 16 qualified teams that will decide the clashes, like the 1st vs. 16th, 2nd vs. 15th, 3rd vs. 14th, 4th vs. 13th, 5th vs. 12th, 6th vs. 11th, 7th vs. 10th and 8th vs. 9th.

What a pity that Defensor Sporting is focusing on the league, they could be an interesting side to watch if they paid attention to the cup.

9. Arthur V

Arthur V Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Brasilia, BRASIL
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I had great expectations about San Lorenzo, but they are terrible this year. Los Millonarios aren't pretty good either.

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Off Topic: You knows whats crazy? I caught a commercial on FX (fox channel) advertising out of all soccer broadcasts on this main cable channel the Copa Libertadores and that its the biggest tournament in the Americas. They also were advertising it in english talking about Fox Sports en Espanol. This SHOCKED me, in that out of all channels they chose to show on there, it was fox sports en espanol, and the copa libertadores (which does have an english option apparently), i am guessing this is because Fox Soccer Channel recently got the rights to the Champions league and is trying to get their audience on FX ready, because they will show all HD games they get on FX, until i think they can get their own channel.

My question is, do they give Copa Libertadores games in HD yet? Will it ever happen?

11. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not yet but in South America it's believed that there will be a FOX Sports HD sometime this year(some people claims there's already a slot for it on digital cables). Though as i pointed in the thread of the main CONMEBOL forum, i suspect the Libertadores could be moving to other channels due scheduling conflicts with UEFA tournaments, but this is just a suspect of mine.

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^It would be the ultimate compliment to watch teh games in 16:9 sharp HD!

I would die and go to heaven if i could see my beloved Bolivar(if they qualify for the 2010 Copa Libertadores :p ) in full HD!

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Got to wait and see.

By the way i've been researching and DirecTV has FOX Sports HD, but it isn't the latin american one(neither the mexican or the argentine) but the original english one. In theory they were intended to show the Libertadores 2009 in HD, but no luck.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^So is there a transmission right now of it in HD? I know the big leagues in spain are in HD over there, but not yet here..... apparently they are planning on showing alot of their games end of 2009-2010 in HD(fox sports). They said before they can get a HD channnel i believe they will show their HDgames on FX.

15. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In South America there aren't i don't think there're anywhere. Another possibility could be Canal 13HD(Canal 13 only shows Libertadores matches of Boca), though it's uncertain when that channel will see the light, i think they're waiting to see if a new audiovisual communications law passes and what are the conditions to decide if they release it or not(Because if they decide to go HD they could be forced to make it FTA, however their plan is to release it on digital cables and DirecTV).

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wouldn't worry too much, we never amaze in the group stages but still manage the results.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: COPA LIBERTADORES 2009-grp stage (r)

They've been a surprisingly good team, and Rodrigo Teixeira is one of the pleasant surprises of the tournament. He's been around, but I don't remember him being this good.

But it's still up in the air whether they will advance from this group.

Cuenca has a much better goal differencial than Tachira, plus they have the advantage over Tachira because they are more likely to get a win or at least a draw from Boca at Ecuador than Tachira at La Bombonera.

But they still have to go to Paraguay, and even though for Guarani it's only pride, Cuenca cannot take those points for granted. Guarani has some talent, even though they've underachieved.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right. Nacional of Uruguay and Boca did not mathematically advance yet. And Nacional of Paraguay is not yet eliminated, nor is Guarani. But we are talking about farfetched scenarios.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, it is farfetched. Still, you can't guarantee anything until it's over. Not trying to diss, but everybody expected Boca to win the Tri-Championship in 2006. It was a little farfetched to think they would fail at getting any points with so many opportunities. But look what happened.

20. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate

Because all of our former players play for top clubs in Europe and are successful. Whereas other clubs have to bring them back cause they suck or are overrated while playing in Europe.;)

21. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I have a question.

Why don't CONMEBOL change the Copa Libertadores to the 2nd half of the year? With that timeline, the reigning champion would not be dismantled to death for the CWC (the UEFA champion is almost always intact). Not to mention, it would be spring or summer in South America at that point.

And with that, the Copa Suramericana would be held in the first half of the year.

The Recopa Suramericana could be held between the end of the final of the Copa Libertadores and the CWC. It is kind of retarded to have it one year after the teams won the titles required to dispute the Recopa.

So it would be like this:

Copa Suramericana : February to early June

Copa Libertadores : August to early November

Recopa Suramericana : Middle of November

CWC : December

That way, the champion would go largely intact (and with the same level that they won the Copa Libertadores). Not to mention, if the team wishes to sell any players, they can get a higher transfer fee selling them with more titles.

BTW VAMOS PINCHA!!!

A GANAR LA TETRA!!!

22. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There's a problem with that, it would finish too close to the CWC dates, plus with the lenght of the Libertadores it may be too tiring for the winning side. If any change is made to the schedule it should be to make it be played in a longer span then what it is right now(Beginning in August and finishing around the date it finishes right now). Also about teams being dismantled i don't much truth behind that like, even LDU Quito who was supposed a low budget team didn't really get "dismantled" in the end they barely lost one player, and in the final of the CWC it may have not made difference the other side was just better.

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^I disagree, i think guerron would have made a WORLD of difference, as he is their style c. ronaldo, or a winger who can out dribble, setup, pass, and score. But thats just me.

24. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Bueno, aunque quiero ver a Estudiantes campeon, ultimamente solo me gustaria ver un grande en el Mundial de Clubes para traer el titulo devualta a America sea Estudiantes, Boca, Sao Paulo, o Nacional. River, Gremio, e Palmeiras...no se.

Pero no quiero ver equipos como Colo Colo, LDU, etc. en el mundial. LDU solo dio pena en el mundial anterior y un equipo Yugoslavo se cogio a Colo Colo.

Esta vez, se necesita un grande. La unica pregunta es...

¿Quien sera?

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In my opinion Boca(which i am a fan of, which that game needed Roman) looked worst vs. Milan than LDU vs. Manchester in the last final....

But yes, we do need to bring that title back to south america, hopefully a strong team goes, that will stay intact, doesnt necessarily have to be a big team....